Posted Sep 10, 2012
12:58:38 PM
Will 3G Microcell work with new Iphone 5?

Is it too early to know if the Iphone 5 will work with the 3G Microcells?

98 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(98)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012 6:34:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

Does anyone else see "4G" instead of the normal "3G" next to "M-Cell" at the top of their phone?

I've never seen this before, but I'm also upgrading from an iPhone 4 which didn't have the 3.5G chip.

Re: Will 3G Microcell work with new Iphone 5?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012 6:55:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

I was having the same trouble.  Rebooted the microcell and my new phone and that cleared it up.  Not sure if it just happened to be when they brought mine back online.  But it connected immediately upon restart.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012 6:55:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

I receievd two iPhone 5's today. I set mine up this morning and no Microcell. I called At&T and they said it was an internal server issue and once they got things rolling again my phone would work on 3G microcell. My wife came home later in afternoon so I set her phone up and the microcell works on her phone. This is very perplexing. I compared the setting on both our phones and everything is identical. The only difference is when i activated my phone I did it using autoated system at At&t. when i did the misses phone I spoke with a rep and he activated it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012 7:18:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

I got 2 IP5's today as well called ATT etc lots of stories.  This worked.  Go to manage microcell page by logging into your account.  click on disconnect your 3G microcell.  once disconnected, the click add a new MC device. get serial number from bopttom of MC.  and when it re activates your phones will be connected.  worked for both of mine.  took about 35 min to reactivate.  ste says it could take up to 90 min, just like when you first activated the 3G Microcell.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012 8:00:01 PM
(0)
Contributor

I tried directions from previous poster and it did NOT work for me.  FWIW I activated online.  I also received this lovely error numerous times when I have tried to disconnect and reconnect "S100: We're sorry, but we are experiencing a temporary system error that prevents us from retrieving your account information. <br>(S100) [CFS|CancelFemtocellService|50000000284] ".  I am logged and and in the section to manage my microcell.

Guess I will try calling customer care tomorrow.  Great stuff ATT!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012 8:02:38 PM
(0)
Tutor

I can confirm, deactivating your M-Cell and reactivating it is the solution.

Just did that, did NOT have to reboot my iPhone 5, it just came right up to M-Cell

Also, says 4G, this thing must push out the 3.5G signals I guess?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012 8:11:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

I can confirm this worked for me 2. Deactivated my microcell 3g, waited 10 minutes, reactivated the new one. Showed M-Cell on my iPhone 5 in about 15 minutes.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012 9:42:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

I restarted my MCell Tower by disconnecting and reconnecting the power supply at about 2:30 pm today.  NO JOY.

I tried Airplane Mode several times throughout the day. NO JOY

Finally, I took out the Sim Card and reinserted it seconds later (try about 30 seconds to be sure) and OH JOY.  It worked like a charm for my phone and my wifes phone.  

Maybe it will work if you reboot your phone but I didn't have to. 

Good Luck.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2012 11:49:59 PM
(0)
Voyager

Mine connects, but only if I turn off LTE. Is this correct, with LTE on it won't automatically recogize the M-Cell and switch to 4G(3G)?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 4:56:26 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm also getting the FTC191: Operation is not allowed at this time. Please try again later. error after disconnecting and trying to reactivate

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 5:01:55 AM
(0)
Tutor
Got the Microcell to reactive. After disconnecting, quit the browser and then log back in to start the processes

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 6:03:28 AM
(0)
Teacher

so the microcell and iphone 5 finally connected this morning...but I have to be honest.  When I turned wifi off and was on AT&T 4g LTE, service was pretty darn good.  made several phone calls...had 2 different hour conversations while walking around the house.

I guess AT&T was serious about improving service in my area (Philly burbs)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 6:18:18 AM
(0)
Contributor

wife and i received 2 iPhone 5s.  same problems as everyone.   painful since we get 0 to 1 bars at home.

Possible Fix (worked for us):

summary: go to AT&T website, disconnect mcell, add NEW mcell (same serial #) & authorized #s, wait ~15min

voila! working now.  let's see if it holds

thanks guys for helping us all live on the cutting edge! :smileyhappy:

mc

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 6:24:45 AM
(0)
Scholar
Yeah deactivating and and activating my mcell did it for me.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 9:24:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

My microcell is now working.  Just powercycle the Microcell and it should get the update from ATT.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 11:22:26 AM
(0)
Contributor

Mine didn't work either with my iPhone 5.  I went to my account at att.com and then went into my microcell settings.  I completely deactivated my microcell and then set it up again as if it were brand new.  After the set up my iphone 5 now connects to the microcell.  Good luck

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2012 1:54:38 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by VView on Sep 22, 2012 at 1:56:24 PM

:smileyhappy: It worked after I did the following:   Went to my MicroCell settings page online and deleted one of my authorized visitor numbers and then saved the change.  FWIW that number was in bold because there was a problem with that number (do not know if this was a factor).  I did not reinsert the number to my list.  Then I took the phone close to the Microcell Tower and turned phone settings on airplane mode on and off, and then again. MCell then worked on the second toggle to airplane mode and back.  Think that reinitializing after the change to numbers seemed to have toggled it to work :smileyhappy:   Hope it may help someone else. 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2012 1:32:37 PM
(0)
Explorer

Yes it does! :smileyhappy:

I replaced two iPhone 3GS with two new iPhone 5.  I pulled them out of the box on Friday, Sept 21st, synced my old phones to iTunes, then synced my new phones to iTunes.  Both iPhone 5 units immediately connected to the existing Microcell without any configuration changes on the Microcell.  The signal show "AT&T Microcell 4G" which is really just 3G with HSPA+ which AT&T has branded 4G (not LTE).  The signal strength does show "AT&T LTE" when I am in an LTE service area.  The transition from the old 3GS to the new 5 was seamless and perfect.  The new iPhone 5 is a wonderful upgrade from the 3GS.   

Yes, the iPhone 5 does indeed work just fine with the existing Microcell. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2012 3:30:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

Aggregated! I have 2 new iPhone 5s that will not pick up a signal from my Microcell. I tried todeactivate/ reactivate online and isays I was successful but when I go back to my Microcell status page it is still active. So I have not been successful at bouncing it. Then I go to the AT&T store and they tell me I should go home and call customer support to walk me throughthe activation process. HELLO! The whole reason why I Paid $200 for a Micro cell is because AT&T's service is non existent at my house. So I go to my car and call AT&T customer "care" and first Iam told that it needs to be deactivated and reactivated....and that I could do this without calling (basically a nice way of saying please don't bother us). I explained I cannot that to work and told her again abouthey new iPhone 5. Then I'm told that there may be a problem with iPhone 5 and the Microcell.  After recognition of the larger problem then I am told that it is being fixed and I Ned to let it cycle through...call back in 72 hours and if I still have a problem they can build a case. I HAVE BEEN WAITING 72 HOURS ALREADY

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2012 4:21:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Did you have a functional MicroCell beforehand that worked with your cells? The corporate stores cannot help you with the MicroCell so you unfortunately have to call support (which is difficult if you don't have cell phone coverage in your home). The "problem" with the iPhone 5s and the MicroCell is supposedly due to a firmware upgrade by Cisco (the mfr of the MicroCell) so that the new iPhones will work with AT&Ts version of 4G. This hasn't been confirmed (and probably won't be) and has only affected some service areas (we haven't seen it here for example and our iPhones work just fine with the MicroCell). You may have to borrow someone's cell phone who have coverage in your area to call support and walk thru the process. That sucks for sure but it may be your only option at this point in time if this is a new MicroCell setup. If activation is successfull, you should get a text message that says so. The status page isn't always as current as it should be.

3G MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 7:32:06 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

TheaWalsh wrote:

Aggregated! I have 2 new iPhone 5s that will not pick up a signal from my Microcell. I tried todeactivate/ reactivate online and isays I was successful but when I go back to my Microcell status page it is still active. So I have not been successful at bouncing it. Then I go to the AT&T store and they tell me I should go home and call customer support to walk me throughthe activation process. HELLO! The whole reason why I Paid $200 for a Micro cell is because AT&T's service is non existent at my house. So I go to my car and call AT&T customer "care" and first Iam told that it needs to be deactivated and reactivated....and that I could do this without calling (basically a nice way of saying please don't bother us). I explained I cannot that to work and told her again abouthey new iPhone 5. Then I'm told that there may be a problem with iPhone 5 and the Microcell.  After recognition of the larger problem then I am told that it is being fixed and I Ned to let it cycle through...call back in 72 hours and if I still have a problem they can build a case. I HAVE BEEN WAITING 72 HOURS ALREADY

I'm sorry you had a poor experience when you called in. 

Did you get your callback or can I help? You're welcome to send me a private message with your name, account number, phone number and the best time to contact you.

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type my username in the "Send To" field.

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2012 9:14:10 AM
(0)
Voyager

I have a Microcell and it work fine most of the time.  Sometimes one or more of the phones (iPhone 5) registered to the Microcell do not find the Microcell.  Instead it finds a weak tower signal and calls mostly fail.

Turning the phones off and on doesn't rectify the problem.

Restarting the Microcell takes a very long time.

Sometimes the secondary phone finds the Microcell after I call it from the primary phone, but not vice versa.

Sometimes the secondary phone finds the Microcell after I remove it and then add it to the user list.

It looks like I need "to wake up" (communicate with) the Microcell to get it to pick up the connection.

Is there a command (like Status) that I can send the MCell from the iPhone App or from texting to 6235 that reconnect me?  Any other ideas?

Thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2012 2:36:42 PM
(0)
Voyager

ogneezy wrote:

I have a Microcell and it work fine most of the time.  Sometimes one or more of the phones (iPhone 5) registered to the Microcell do not find the Microcell.  Instead it finds a weak tower signal and calls mostly fail.

Turning the phones off and on doesn't rectify the problem.

Restarting the Microcell takes a very long time.

Sometimes the secondary phone finds the Microcell after I call it from the primary phone, but not vice versa.

Sometimes the secondary phone finds the Microcell after I remove it and then add it to the user list.

It looks like I need "to wake up" (communicate with) the Microcell to get it to pick up the connection.

Is there a command (like Status) that I can send the MCell from the iPhone App or from texting to 6235 that reconnect me?  Any other ideas?

Thanks

I'm having a similar problem.  I have an iPhone 5 and my husband has an iPhone 4.  We did not have M-cell at first after his updating to the new OS and me getting my iPhone 5, but now after reactivating the M-cell via the AT&T website both of us have M-cell showing up with a strong signal but the service is very bad.  We can't have a conversation on either phone because the service cuts out so bad and most of the calls are eventually dropped.  Does anyone have any suggestions? 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 19, 2012 10:45:59 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by MARIEUSA on Dec 19, 2012 at 10:58:47 AM

Yes, DEFINITELY!

I just got my iPhone5 a few days ago.  I live in between 2 US bases and it's been said that due to the bases  cell phones dont get great reception.  SInce Ive moved to this new place, my cell could not be used at all.  I went to ATT and complained about my situation.  Thankfully the manager was very kind enough to offer a FREE Microcell and super discount ($199.00) for my iPhone5 to replace my iPhone4 as a complimentary and to fix the problem.  Sure enough as soon as my Microcell got activated, my iPhone5, and AT&T Wireless Home Phone Base ($19.99 per month - AMAZING PHONE, by the way. You dont need a phone jack to hook it up with.  It goes straight to your electric wall, and your phone to the phone base box.  No internet needed.  Works just like a landline.  You can carry with you everywhere, anytime.) worked like MAGIC!

I could not thank ATT enough for helping me and for  GREAT CHRISTMAS PRESENT!

Thank you ATT!

Happy Holidays!

Marie :heart:

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 19, 2012 11:12:56 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Thank you for the kind words Marie. 

I must say, it is very unusual to be able to get a Microcell free of charge. I am very glad you had a positive experience and you're happy with the service AT&T provided. 

Welcome to our community!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 19, 2012 11:40:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Dec 19, 2012 at 11:42:14 AM

The Wireless Home Base is a new device that apparently is being offered now by AT&T. Somebody mentioned it in another thread. It's a monthly subscription service that works like a landline if you don't already have one. Hence the monthly fee. I agree, it is unusual for AT&T to give you a free MicroCell but if you upgraded/purchased an iPhone 5 I can see that. I'm not sure how the Home Base works so I'll have to look into that. FWIW, I have an iPhone 5 and it works perfectly with the MicroCell without the new Home Base device.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 19, 2012 12:00:53 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Here's some additional info about the Wireless Home Phone: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/att/wireless-home-phone-silver.html#fbid=oDfGyxczgLP

--------------

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 30, 2012 7:50:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

Anyone having issues with your iPhone always staying on 4G, even when away from the Microcell? I've noticed this weird issue on my iPhone 5 and my wife's iPhone 5 where if we leave the Microcell, our phones will stay on 4G, until it's been rebooted.

It's annoying that I keep having to do that.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 30, 2012 8:22:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

gueriLLaPunK wrote:

Anyone having issues with your iPhone always staying on 4G, even when away from the Microcell? I've noticed this weird issue on my iPhone 5 and my wife's iPhone 5 where if we leave the Microcell, our phones will stay on 4G, until it's been rebooted.

It's annoying that I keep having to do that.

Is there a problem with your calls or reception? The MicroCell will only connect at 3G even though the phone may say 4G. My iPhone 5 (6.0.2), inside the house, always says <4-5 bars> AT&T M-Cell 4G when I first take it out of Standby and then the 4G indicator usually goes away. Sometimes it stays at 4G but it's not a big deal. The iPhone indicates: Settings -> General -> About -> Network AT&T MicroCell. When I get out of MicroCell range, the iPhone will show 3G/4G/LTE depending on which tower is nearest to me. I don't understand what the problem is.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 30, 2012 9:07:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

Sorry, I forgot to add that I live in an LTE area with excellentg coverage. While I'm at home, I will be on 4G (which is expected since the Microcell doesn't support LTE) but when I leave my house, I will have full bars of 4G, even miles away from home. If I reboot my phone (or my wife's phone) I/we will then have full bars of LTE.

I'm wondering if there's some sort of back end provisioning that doesn't tell the towers to use my LTE radio and if anyone else has experienced these issues.