11-10-2010 07:26:30 AM
I've begun to have a strange issue with my Microcell and my iPhone. About 2 weeks ago I began experiencing problems with the phone switching from the cell tower to the MicroCell. I would walk into my office from a strong cell tower location and my phone would sit there with 1 bar in my office for about 5 minutes before it "noticed" the microcell and switched to that. Or I'll get no bars and it will "search" for a network for about 5 minutes and then again, finally, find the microcell. Each time I check the microcell it appears to be working fine (all lights normal).
Again, this began about 2 weeks ago, prior to that it worked great. Any thoughts?
Solved! Go to Solution.
11-10-2010 07:43:20 AM
This is strictly speculation (since at&t chooses to be so tight lipped about MicroCell issues) but what you're seeing might be the result of a firmware or back end update.
There was some talk not too long ago claiming that a change was propagated and that change effected the way a phone recognized it was in MicroCell coverage. The idea was supposedly to reduce the tendency of jumping from a MicroCell to a macrocell and thus dropping a call.
About the time those changes were supposed to happen I noticed an improvement. At my location we have some macro coverage but it's not great. The result was when I first got a MicroCell I often had calls handout to a macrocell and then drop. These days that rarely happens. I can't remember the last dropped call.
Again....I'm just speculating/guessing, but if I'm right, the trade off of having to wait a little longer to see the MicroCell when you come in to range but having better reliability once in range is worth while to me.
11-10-2010 08:25:31 AM
Frankly, if this and the uplink data cap were the only issues, I'd be satisfied.
No, I take that back. The poor support and lack of communication trumps everything.