Posted Dec 19, 2013
7:32:30 AM
$45.00 a month smart phone plans now on AT&T?

Hello everyone.  A friend of mine told me that she saw an AT&T Wireless commercial last night advertising new $45.00 a month smart phone plans.  I went and looked on the web site and I cannot find anything pertaining to what she was talking about.  Am I just looking at the wrong section of the AT&T site?  Could someone post the link, in the response, to the page I can view the information about this plan?  I am considering getting it, if it's available.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Dec 19, 2013 7:56:14 AM
(0)
Expert

callie.crk.kuczek wrote:

Hello everyone.  A friend of mine told me that she saw an AT&T Wireless commercial last night advertising new $45.00 a month smart phone plans.  I went and looked on the web site and I cannot find anything pertaining to what she was talking about.  Am I just looking at the wrong section of the AT&T site?  Could someone post the link, in the response, to the page I can view the information about this plan?  I am considering getting it, if it's available.

only if you bring your own smartphone -

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=d9tMQGgvsRG?tab2

20.00 - 300 MB data

25.00 - no commitment smartphone

-------

If you don;t have a vaiable smartphone then you need to get one through the Next plan which will add the monthly installment plan for the phone

Accepted Solution

$45.00 a month smart phone plans now on AT&T?

15 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Dec 19, 2013 7:56:14 AM
(0)
Expert

callie.crk.kuczek wrote:

only if you bring your own smartphone -

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=d9tMQGgvsRG?tab2

20.00 - 300 MB data

25.00 - no commitment smartphone

-------

If you don;t have a vaiable smartphone then you need to get one through the Next plan which will add the monthly installment plan for the phone

Re: $45.00 a month smart phone plans now on AT&T?

2 of 16 (42,695 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 23, 2013 12:43:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

Such pricing with useful voice and data plans tend to come from AT&T MVNO's. They are reselling capacity on the AT&T network at a lower price point by taking away customer service, some functionality, and phone subsidies. 

3 of 16 (42,140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 23, 2013 6:47:11 AM
(0)
Expert

mark98201 wrote:

Such pricing with useful voice and data plans tend to come from AT&T MVNO's. They are reselling capacity on the AT&T network at a lower price point by taking away customer service, some functionality, and phone subsidies. 

more importantly they do not have to support the 175K cost of building a single tower, no equipment overhead just pure profit after paying the monthly tower rental charges

4 of 16 (42,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 24, 2013 12:50:51 PM
(0)
Employee
I've seen the ad in question.
You can see our plans easily here.
www.myattrpc.com
The $45 is for smartphones out of contract, or under the Next program, not counting the installments for the phone.
The Mobile Share Value 300mb, provided Unlimited Talk & Text, and 300mb of data.

-Alex
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 16 (41,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 3, 2014 7:12:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

Att lies .be sure you record all conversations with customer service at all times .I spent 42 min on the phone eith cust ser on 12 26 13 at 551 pm , came up with a reasonable plan to add a new phone  and today 1/4/14  theres no such plan or theve never heard of it.now ladt week I was in the aat store and even the att employess says cust service lies to you all the time.record all your conversations .

6 of 16 (36,270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 8, 2014 8:51:04 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by c0n on Jan 8, 2014 at 9:01:17 AM

you'd be better off spending 179 or less bucks for the Nokia Lumia 5200 (off contract, not the Go Phone) or  Motorola Moto G w/16gb of space (free 50gb google drive for 2yrs) and going with an MVNO.

you'd get unlimited phone/text and 2.5gb data for 45ish $ vs unlimited talk/text and 300mb of data with the ATT plan you're talking about.

The AT&T Next plan is an option, but you're still better off purchasing a phone straight up.

Next is a great idea. If you weren't still paying the subsidy fee that's already in your monthly bill.

paying 600.00 for a phone over 20months is a great service.

Paying 600.00 over 20months, plus a monthly subsidy fee that would normally recover the cost of the phone you pay .99cents for is not. I'd rather not pay 2x give or take the retail cost of a phone.

[ Edited ]
7 of 16 (33,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 8, 2014 11:13:54 AM
(0)
Mentor

Some MVNOs are horrid to deal with. Customer service, support etc.. is often a nightmare.

Not many  MVNOs are making a ton of money. They are often used to increase market share and revenue from advertising and to reach areas of low profit.

MVNOs use carrier towers etc.. for their service. 

If there's a new tower going up, it isn't because AT&T is doing it to cater to the needs of Acme Wireless.

Some carriers are offering tech support and customer service options to MVNOs.

I can use ATT's AIO service. I can use Straight Talk. There hasn't been an increase towers in this area.

MVNOs and carriers both have their pros and cons for the consumer.

8 of 16 (33,866 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 12, 2014 12:04:51 AM
(0)
Contributor

ALSO, besides what others are telling you, it maybe 45.00 for the FIRST year, after that it will be 2000.00 per month! They get you be saying  ' oh we have the best plans but its only for the next 12 months and after that it will be double'  they have to make it up some where...

9 of 16 (32,571 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2014 10:06:15 PM
(0)
Tutor
Holy carp!!!

10 of 16 (31,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 15, 2014 9:30:51 AM
(0)
Expert

mom1925 wrote:

ALSO, besides what others are telling you, it maybe 45.00 for the FIRST year, after that it will be 2000.00 per month! They get you be saying  ' oh we have the best plans but its only for the next 12 months and after that it will be double'  they have to make it up some where...

hmm - documentation please

11 of 16 (31,014 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 11, 2014 11:01:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

To clarify, you are NOT paying a "subisdy fee". You have NO contract and have either a $25 a month line access fee or $15 access fee vs. $40 for being in a contract.

12 of 16 (18,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2014 4:26:31 AM
(0)
Mentor

I love AT&T but it has gotten way too expensive. But one thing that now these companies are doing is providng no contract services. I am tired of paying off termination fees when life issues happen. Two years locked in a contract when finances suddenly take  a tumble is not reasonable. I am going with the no contract plans from now on. AT&T service is the most reliable and I prefer it but I am never getting locked into a contract again. Some of us are not made of money!

callie.crk.kuczek wrote:

13 of 16 (18,441 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 12, 2014 3:26:21 PM
(0)
Expert

zoey5552 wrote:

I love AT&T but it has gotten way too expensive. But one thing that now these companies are doing is providng no contract services. I am tired of paying off termination fees when life issues happen. Two years locked in a contract when finances suddenly take  a tumble is not reasonable. I am going with the no contract plans from now on. AT&T service is the most reliable and I prefer it but I am never getting locked into a contract again. Some of us are not made of money!

callie.crk.kuczek wrote:

then it is your lucky day - Mobile share with the phone obtained under the next plan gives you want you want, no 2 year commiment just a 20 or 26 month payment arangement on the full retail price of the device, you can upgrade at 12 months with the trade in of the device if you are on the 20 month installment plan.

Mobile Share

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=LZI2nGAlp5B

ATT Next

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/next.html#fbid=LZI2nGAlp5B

14 of 16 (18,262 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 13, 2014 7:19:26 AM
(0)
Tutor

This is a real plan and yes it is $45 a month for 10 GB of data, unlimited talk, and text (plus $15 for each added line). However, it is a non-subsided no contract plan, meaning you can't upgrade your phone every 2 years for free or with a discount. You either bring your own device or pay monthly installments on the phone for 2 years until it is paid off. An iPhone 4S for example is an additional $25 a month for 2 years.

I switched to this plan yesterday and all of this was not initially explained to me but I am happy with it. What you may not realize is that if you are currently under contract with a phone you received prior to February 2, it will be grandfathered in and you will not have to purchase the phone. This came in handy with 3 of my lines. I did upgrade one of them yesterday and I am paying the monthly charge for it.

Overall, this is MUCH less than my prior bill, but I have to be prepared to either buy my own phone or make additonal payments when I get ready to upgrade.

15 of 16 (18,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 15, 2014 9:40:23 AM
(0)
Contributor

did you find a website or did you go to an att retailer store?

16 of 16 (17,412 Views)