Posted Nov 20, 2011
AT&T won't provide unlock code for Skyrocket due to exclusivity

This is really irritating.  I purchased a new Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket at the full non contract price of $600.  I travel internationally 2-3 times per year and wanted the unlock code so that I can use local SIMs in foreign countries.  When I called AT&T to get it, I was told by both a rep and her supervisor that the unlock code was not available as AT&T has exclusive rights to this phone, and there was no date when the codes would become available, if ever.  Seems to me that since I paid the full, non discounted price on it, and I technically own it, they should have it available if I request it.  I guess I should have called and asked about this before I bought the phone.

So, now my options are to return this phone and go back to using my old one which is unlocked, which would be a shame because I really like this Skyrocket, or to try one of the online pay services.  Having to pay for it seems unfair to me, though.

AT&T won't provide unlock code for Skyrocket due to exclusivity

43 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(43)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 20, 2011
(0)
Most new phones have this exclusive period now. However, you are right, you should be given the unlock code as you paid full price. I got mine on my gs2. And I expect the same for Skyrocket. Call again and don't take no for answer. All I have to do is fax them my receipt for proof of purchase.

There is way to unlock yourself but you have to root the phone first (hence void your warranty). But I would try AT&T again.

Re: AT&T won't provide unlock code for Skyrocket due to exclusivity

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 20, 2011
(0)

I spoke to a regular rep, then asked for her supervisor.  Both told me that the phone was not even showing in their database of phones eligible for unlocking, so there was nothing they could do until it did finally show, and they had no idea when that would be.  I like this phone so I'm thinking of going ahead and spending the $25 or so to get a code from an online service.  Thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 20, 2011
(0)
If I recall correctly, AT&T starts providing unlock codes for their phones around three to six months after the phone was originally released. Being that the Skyrocket is new, I wouldn't expect AT&T to start giving out the codes to unlock the phone just quite yet.

But you are 100% correct - if you bought the phone at full retail price, then you should have full control over the phone and what'd you'd like to do to it.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 20, 2011
(0)

Not true. I unlocked my Galaxy S2 the day I bougt it which is one day after launch. Device unlock codes are handled by different department. Just because regular rep and her/his supervisor can't see it in the system, doesn't mean it can't be unlocked. All they have to do is fill out and submit a unlock request form for you. You fax in your proof of purchase and a few hours later you will receive your unlocked code in the email. Keep calling until you encounter someone who know how to do it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 20, 2011
(0)
foxbat121, did AT&T give you the unlock code for your S II or did you find other alternatives to unlock it?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 20, 2011
(0)

I got my code from AT&T. I told the rep that I don't want any excuses (I knew the phone is probably in an exclusive period) since I paid my phone in full retail price.

If I purchased mine on contract, I will simply root it and unlock. Just like I did for my Captivate. But since I got no discount on my new phone, I expect AT&T do the leg work for me.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 20, 2011
(0)

att is lying

they can provide you with the code

go to the retail att store and have the rep (try to find a smart one) and explain and have them call att

they will then provide you with the code

the people you talked to in att and her boss are probably too dumb to understand what you were saying

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 20, 2011
(0)

I have no doubt that they can get the code and give it out if they want to.  Problem with them is that they have corporate policies that prohibit it, even if those policies are unfair and just plain wrong, as in this case. 

I went ahead and bought an unlock code from Cellunlocker.net as I couldn't wait until AT&T decided to make it available.  Paid $28.99 and had my phone unlocked in about 3 hours. 

My opinion of AT&T has gone down a few notches, and I'm going to remember this the next time my contract comes up for renewal, or I want to buy a new phone, especially at the full retail price.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 21, 2011
(0)
No, I don't believe the policy applies to non contact phones. Like said above, they just don't know how to read the policy. The policy has an exception clause because I have been told so many times dealing with unlocks of couple of my other phones.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 21, 2011
(0)

Yeah...I'm sure that's probably not the case...

As for foxbat121, alright. I was wondering if AT&T unlocked your phone, they might as well unlock the OP's as well (but it's already too late).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 21, 2011
(0)

I remember going through the same thing with my Atrix 4G.  I had to wait 6 months before they would make the unlock code available to me.  I only paid the discounted price on that one, though, so it wasn't as big a deal to me.  When someone pays the full retail price on a phone though, seems to me they own the phone, and AT&T should not be telling them how, when, and where they can use it. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 22, 2011
(0)

make a trip to retail store instead

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 22, 2011
(0)
Nope all lies. When we say we can't unlock it for whatever reason we're serious, we don't have the code available to us
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 22, 2011
(0)

I'm sure the folks I spoke to didn't have access to the code because they told me that my phone didn't show up anywhere in the database, which I think means that AT&T policy is probably not allowing it to be out there.  The supervisor spent some time trying to look it up before she announced that it was nowhere to be found.  If AT&T wanted to provide the codes, I'm sure that Samsung would be happy to provide it to them, if they haven't already.  AT&T is making them inaccessible.

This widget could not be displayed.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 24, 2011
(0)

I have had the best lucking calling their Int'l department and requesting the unlock code from them directly.

Twice a front-line rep has claimed no code exits or that she is prohibited from giving it out only to speak with Int'l Support who in minutes was able to request the unlock code for me.

I cannot speak to the SkyRocket directly, exclusivity could very well be a different story, but in the past that is the way the policy worked, especially if you paid full retail.

One rep explained to me that full retail is like buying a car with cash while getting a subsidy is like leasing the car, at&t will eventually allow you to take full ownership but at first they own the phone and you just have the right to use it.

Dan

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 17, 2011
(0)
If i have it unlocked, would the phone work on ATT still and local sim card if i travel with a simple step switching the sim card?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 17, 2011
(0)

kozenyee wrote:
If i have it unlocked, would the phone work on ATT still and local sim card if i travel with a simple step switching the sim card?

Yes, that the reason we want to unlock SIM so you can switch anytime you want. It make very little sense while in US but save you $$$$ overseas by using a local SIM.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 20, 2011
(0)
Did you ever get this resolved? Will you root it?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 2, 2012
(0)

Does your data plan work after unlock service ?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 2, 2012
(0)

tonyhess wrote:

Does your data plan work after unlock service ?

Yes, everything still works fine.  Since AT&T refused to provide the code, even though I paid full retail price for the phone, I ended up buying a code from one of the online services.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2012
(0)

Hi, I am also planning to unlock my phone as i would like to use the phone even on travel. Could you please let me know the online service where you bought the unlock code?

thanks in advance...

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2012
(0)
You need to request a case to the rep.... Once the Case Team contacted Samsung the team will E-mail you the code .... guaranteed

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2012
(0)

daniapar wrote:
You need to request a case to the rep.... Once the Case Team contacted Samsung the team will E-mail you the code .... guaranteed

Almost all the new phones from AT&T has some exclusive period. You will have to wait 8 to 10 month from launch day before AT&T can give you any unlock code unless you bought the phone off contract.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2012
(0)

foxbat121 wrote:

Almost all the new phones from AT&T has some exclusive period. You will have to wait 8 to 10 month from launch day before AT&T can give you any unlock code unless you bought the phone off contract.

I bought my phone off contract for $600, and AT&T still wouldn't provide the unlock code due to exclusivity, which is what upset me enough to start this thread.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2012
(0)
Buying the phone off contract doesn't make any difference in the unlock process when its a new phone in the exclusivity phase
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 13, 2012
(0)

Just started down this road today.

1. First the rep took my IMEI and then said this imei shows a model that "Isnt eligible for unlocking and no unlock date is posted".
  2. I asked to speak to a supervisor
  3. The rep then came back with "Spoke to the supervisor, and he said that when this happens its an error and we have to open up a case. A DS3 support person will respond to the case and you will get an email with unlock code and instructions". I dont claim to know the exact jargon like 'DS3' whatever that means (just repeating it here in case it helps someone else escalate in the future).

She's entered the case, given me a case number, taken my email address and lets see if something comes out of this. Will post the outcome.

Satya

PS. I find it much better to always be polite, soft spoken, and at the same time be assertive in such interactions. Really helps to take the edge off things and then there's a better chance of solving the problem.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 13, 2012
(0)

devnull2 wrote:

Just started down this road today.

1. First the rep took my IMEI and then said this imei shows a model that "Isnt eligible for unlocking and no unlock date is posted".
  2. I asked to speak to a supervisor
  3. The rep then came back with "Spoke to the supervisor, and he said that when this happens its an error and we have to open up a case. A DS3 support person will respond to the case and you will get an email with unlock code and instructions". I dont claim to know the exact jargon like 'DS3' whatever that means (just repeating it here in case it helps someone else escalate in the future).

She's entered the case, given me a case number, taken my email address and lets see if something comes out of this. Will post the outcome.

________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Hopefully you'll have better luck than I had.  The supervisor in my case looked into it, but was adamant that the code was not available to give.

I also tried last year to get a code for my previous phone, a Motorola Atrix.  They opened a case for me then, but still eventually told me that the code for that phone was not available until eight months down the road.  The Atrix, though, was bought at the contract price, so I could understand, but I paid full retail for this Skyrocket.  Doesn't seem right.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 14, 2012
(0)

I just tried to get the unlock code and got the same message -- code not available and no time frame.   But without asking, she opened up a case and seemed pretty confident that I will get the unlock code in about a week.

Has anyone been successful getting the code direct from AT&T?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 25, 2012
(0)
Got the same reply when I tried unlocking my HTC one X. Problem is that even online retailers do not have the unlock code!!! :smileysad: