Posted Aug 12, 2010
2:42:04 PM
Samsung Captivate: Sound not working over loud speaker

No sound from loud speakers.

I dont hear any notifications, no sound when I put a call on "speaker", no alarm sound, no music sound, nothing.

Phone calls work fine though. Everything works over the earpiece as well. Its just the loud speaker thats not working.

I have all the notifications and volume set to full.

I have tried restarting the phone.

Any ideas what to do???

Samsung Captivate: Sound not working over loud speaker

22 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
Replies
(22)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 12, 2010 3:31:17 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by syshs on Aug 12, 2010 at 3:31:53 PM

ok.
i was able to resolve the issue. I had to push down hard on the speaker with my thumb, and wala!!! it started working.

i did a factory reset though... arrrrrgghhh... i wish i had tried this before the dang factory reset. Oh well, atleast the sound is working now.

Re: Samsung Captivate: Sound not working over loud speaker

[ Edited ]
2 of 23 (32,189 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 25, 2010 10:58:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hey man I just had the exact same problem and I took your advice and now it works! You didn't happen to drop your phone did you? I dropped mine on carpeted floor and the speakerphone didn't after that. But after a little press it worked again. While that was a relief,  it did just make me a little uneasy about the durability of this thing haha. Thanks for your input.

3 of 23 (31,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 3, 2010 9:51:24 PM
(0)
Contributor

i just had the same problem, same thing fixed mine i was bout to take it back, thank goodness, lol.  and yes it makes me question its durability as well, hope otterbox hurries with their cases!!

4 of 23 (31,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 4, 2010 8:36:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

Am I glad I read you guys!!! I love what the phone can do, but I returned the first one because it crashed all the time, and I just had the same speaker problem you all did.

Was going to return this one too and maybe change to HTC, but pushing on the speaker did the trick!!! I am going to go to Samsungs Live Chat help tomorrow though and see what they have to say about it, seeing as how this seems to be a serial problem.

5 of 23 (30,911 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 8, 2010 4:14:17 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you SO much for posting that!  All I did was unplug my phone from the charger this morning and NO SOUND!! Which sucked because I was up two hours early for work and had no way of having an alarm let me sleep a little longer.  I'm disturbed that doing something like this actually works.  But thank you again for saving me so much time and trouble!!!

6 of 23 (30,803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 17, 2010 6:10:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have taken it back 2 times and when I got to the store, the phone started working...but would fall silent -- no sounds / no speaker phone within a day after that. I found this solution page and it fixed my problem right away. Thanks!  Like the rest of you, though, I wonder about the durability.  Otherwise, I am not missing my HTC tilt too much!

7 of 23 (29,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2010 7:39:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

WOW! If I had only read this thread about 5 minutes earlier. I too had the same problem with my Captivate phone that I just received Today! My daughter dropped it on the floor from my kitchen counter and the speaker stopped working. Everything else works fine. I too reset the to factory setting... no luck! Then I sat on the phone with AT&T for an hour and was instructed to return the phone with an even over night exchange. THEN I FOUND THIS THREAD NOT EVEN 2 MINUTES AFTER I HUNG UP WITH AT&T. THIS FIX ACTUALLY WORKED!  I took the back off and applied pressure to the speaker... the first time didn't work, but I tired again with a little more pressure and THAT  DID THE TRICK! Thank YOU! Although I am still going to exchange it with the new one since I too am liery about the durability of this phone. And since this was a Refurb... I don't want any future problems straight out of the box.

8 of 23 (29,435 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 6, 2011 6:36:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

Super Glad I found this post before I did the factory reset on my phone. This is the second Captivate I've had and the second time the speaker has gone out. Such a simple thing to fix a problem. Thanks.

9 of 23 (29,177 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 12, 2011 3:19:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you! Exact same problem and solution. I dropped my phone this morning before work. Not a long distance, and on a padded surface, but apparently enough to cause this issue. The loud speaker wasn't working all day and this fixed it. :manvery-happy:

10 of 23 (28,953 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 3, 2011 11:32:31 AM
(0)
Teacher

Reporting in: had the same issue. No sound and then it randomly fixed and it happened again today so I was late for work when the alarm didn't ring. Hard press to the back fixed it....for now. So now the question is; return it?

11 of 23 (20,574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 5, 2011 8:53:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

my captivate speaker has been going in and out for months.   very annoying.  this is my second phone and i really don't want to get a replacment again, although since I've had it for 6 mos, probably out of luck anyway.   this has to be a hardware issue.    pressing hard or thumping does help, but only for moments or maybe several minutes.   any other ideas?   I've removed the cover and pressed hard on the speaker too, made sure it's seated correctly......this is a real bummer on an otherwise great phone.  

W

12 of 23 (20,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2011 11:02:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm having the same issue!!!  It's obviously a short of some kind with the speaker wire.   Is AT&T or Samsung going to do something about this?!  I've only had my phone for 4 months.  It first happend two months ago and then I read these posts and pushed on the speaker and everything was fine until a week ago.  Now the speaker constantly comes and goes - I miss calls, notifications and alarm settings!  This is ridiculous!!!  After reading the posts, it doesn't seem to be worth exchanging it since they all seem to have this problem.   What to do???

13 of 23 (20,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 12, 2011 12:28:39 AM
(0)
Contributor
I am so glad I checked the forums before freaking out too much! Needed to set an alarm for work, but noticed sound wasn't working when I previewed my alarm tone. Bad deal when the only alarm I have in the house is my phone! Might be time for a backup just in case the speaker press doesn't work next time. What's weird is that I dropped my phone early in the day and speaker phone worked after that until I took it off of silent. Anyway, the press worked for me, so I'm just leary of future phone drops now...

14 of 23 (20,120 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 18, 2011 5:31:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

Wow, I wish I had read this earlier. My Solstice II speaker went out and so att warrantied it with a refurb.  Now the refurb unit won't charge the battery.

15 of 23 (20,046 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 26, 2011 11:32:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

MAN I HAD THE SAME PROB AND I BEEN TRYING TO FIX IT FOR THE PAST WEEK I SPENT SO MUCH TIME TRYING TO FIX IT AND I EVEN DELETED SO MENY OF MY THINGS OMG MY KIDS VIDEOS AND PICS BUT IS OK CUZ I DONT NEED TO GET A NEW PHONE THANKS 4 YOUR ADVEICE OMG I'M SO :smileyvery-happy:  THANKS.... :smileywink:

16 of 23 (19,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 14, 2011 4:12:21 AM
(0)
Contributor
So happy I found this thread! I have had a refubished for 6 months now and was "nicely" told I should buy a Go phone there was nothing beyond a reset they could do for me. Thank you for saving me the money they wanted me to spend. Worries me that this is a known problem with a known solution but people are still being told the only way to fix it is to buy a new phone. I'm going to seriously rethink my AT&T service when my contract ends, Verison is sounding better and better.

17 of 23 (19,554 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 13, 2011 8:30:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just want to add one more confirmation both of the problem and the solution!  I lost sound/call alerting and chatted with AT&T tech support who suggested a reset, which I was reluctant to do with them remotely since it sounded like a real hassle.  I found this forum and tried the thumb pressure on the speaker and it worked like a charm!  Sound is back as good as before!

18 of 23 (19,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 15, 2011 12:29:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
Sure am glad I didn't go for the captivate. I have not one single issue with this infuse whatsoever other then waiting on GB. Other then that, awesome phone. It's taken me from my pc by almost 95%. Nothing I can't do here that the pc can do

19 of 23 (19,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 21, 2011 4:03:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

Yea i too have the same problem but i was just wondering do i actually have to open up the phone and press on the actual speaker in the phone ? Or just the speaker grill on he front of the phone .

20 of 23 (19,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 31, 2011 8:27:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am having this same issue.  I am on my 3rd Captivate.  The one I have now is a refurb I got after my last one was stolen.  I have had it for 5 months and this just started happening a couple of days ago.  I'm afraid I will miss my alarm.  I will try pressing on the speakerphone next time it goes out, but I'm thinking I need to take it in and get yet another replacement.  Between the random shut offs and this, this phone is not built properly.

21 of 23 (18,813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 3, 2011 8:50:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had just finished some dubious activities on my phone when my speaker went out. The leap I made of course was that I had caused the problem. So of course I re-stocked, fixing the speaker, or so I thought.

The problem came back but thanks to you I know where the problem lies and have re "dubious-ed" my phone with all working well.

Thanks for taking the time to explain the solution.

22 of 23 (18,785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 28, 2012 7:20:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

hii everyone , same problem for my samsung i5800 galaxy 3 any ideas ? 

23 of 23 (14,614 Views)