Posted Nov 6, 2012
1:38:58 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 MultiView firmware - WHEN?
Edited by elantric on Nov 6, 2012 at 1:39:45 PM

Phonedog review of actual AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Nov, 5, 2012)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr5I16_L23o&feature=player_embedded

When will AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 2 recieve the MultiView firmware update?

Other USA carriers have either already released this important update (Sprint) - or will ship with the MutliView Update preloaded (Verizon)

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 MultiView firmware - WHEN?

[ Edited ]
426 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(426)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 6, 2012 2:03:12 PM
(0)
Mentor
Why the Note 2 doesn't come with the multi view pre installed?

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 MultiView firmware - WHEN?

2 of 427 (33,637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 6, 2012 3:26:10 PM
(0)
Mentor

As a refresher -

Here is a video demonstration of MultiView - and its currently missing on the AT&T version of the Galaxy note 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6c7XaDWmJg&feature=player_embedded

3 of 427 (33,575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 6, 2012 4:46:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The Sprint forums show that the Sprint version doesn't have it.  T-Mobile's version doesn't have it either.  The international version released without the Multi-Window function; it came in an update that was released later.

While it's a believable rumor that VZW's version will have it on launch, I wouldn't want to have to wait a month for the entire phone to be released just to wait on that feature.  The phone has so many features that I can learn in the meantime, that I'm glad that I have it now and can get the update (hopefully) by the time VZW starts to release their version of the phone.

Just a heads up, the screen recording feature is also missing on the T-Mobile version so far.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 427 (33,534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2012 11:26:08 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by elantric on Nov 7, 2012 at 11:27:16 AM

"The Sprint forums show that the Sprint version doesn't have it. "

That situation has changed:

http://phandroid.com/2012/11/07/sprints-samsung-galaxy-note-2-software-update/

Quote:

===

First software update for Sprint’s Samsung Galaxy Note 2 brings Multi Window View

Sprint’s Samsung Galaxy Note 2 will be seeing its first software update rollout over the coming days. The refresh brings the phablet’s software version to L900VPALJC and features a several minor tweaks in addition to the quiet introduction of one of the cooler features to grace the Note 2. First seen on the international version of the device, after updating Sprint users will be privy to Multi Window View, a feature that allows the handset to run two apps simultaneously, displaying windowed versions of both on the large 5.5-inch display.

In terms of fixes and enhancements, the new software will better handle outgoing emails when without coverage, sending the drafts to the Outbox. Incoming text messages will also now produce an audible notification if received while in a call. And with Multi Window View you could theoretically check that text message while composing an outgoing email at the same time.

The update will arrive over the air. Users anxious to receive the new features can check to see if their handset is eligible by navigating to the About Phone section of the Settings menu and checking for available updates.

[ Edited ]
5 of 427 (33,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2012 5:01:18 PM
(0)
Mentor

More news on the MultiView update - hopefully AT&T will get a similar OTA  release out in a couple weeks for AT&T Galaxy Note 2 owners

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57546679-251/sprint-adds-multi-window-view-to-galaxy-note-2/

6 of 427 (33,243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 7, 2012 10:03:11 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by dponte on Nov 7, 2012 at 10:05:24 PM

Sprint did announce on the 6th that they would be updating the phone with firmware unlocking the multi-window feature, as the above poster mentioned. It should be rolling out over the next few days, as I recall in the Sprint community forums.

Also, I saw another few thread posts (that I reposted/linked on AC forums) regarding the VZW model phone acquired by a tester -who had to return it after 3 days- and he confirmed the Samsung TW multi-window feature was on it. So, it may be launching as VZW had been advertising on it's site.

Very interesting indeed, skepticism is not a fault...Samsung's website specs and info for EACH US carrier did NOT specify this update and neither does it's N7100 model info page. Weird, as it's something to really tout (as I think VZW decided to do, albeit they took their time w.r.t release date).

As we know, all carriers had to wait for this update, then, had to test it with their own layer/apps. They all take as long as they take, unfortunately for some.

I know a few Note 2 users (Sprint, etc) who have had plenty of fun without it for now...but, for me...this is a very nice feature and, I hope a new direction for practical use of large screen phones/tablets. Like have many windows that you can scroll through horizontally, etc.

Screen recording was not in the Sprint update; who knows when it will come. FM radio was supposedly not cleared or attempted to be cleared by the FCC, but that is a rumor and guess.

[ Edited ]
7 of 427 (33,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 8, 2012 12:48:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
Yea what's up with out multiview but hey I guess it takes time

8 of 427 (32,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 13, 2012 9:25:11 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by elantric on Nov 13, 2012 at 9:25:35 AM

Do official AT&T support folks ever comment with updated news or info on these threads?

[ Edited ]
9 of 427 (31,594 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 13, 2012 10:13:19 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yes.  Please bring multiview to the ATT GN2. 

10 of 427 (31,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 13, 2012 1:16:53 PM
(0)
Mentor

Why release such an awesome phone and don't include Multiview Firmware? This is a needed update as it would be great to do MultiView on my 5.5" screen. Come on ATT!!! This feature should have be pre-tested and installed on phone for launch date. Sprint has it, so hopefully before November is out ATT will get an OTA update out to us.

11 of 427 (31,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 13, 2012 1:25:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm pretty sure we will all have it by the end of November. 

12 of 427 (31,478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 14, 2012 12:02:14 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by elantric on Nov 14, 2012 at 12:08:51 PM

Confirmed Verizon Galaxy Note 2  ships with MultiView right out of the box 

WHEN WILL AT&T PROVIDE THE MULTIVIEW UPDATE TO OUR NOTE 2's??

http://shop.verizonwireless.com/?id=galaxynote2&cmp=KNC-58700000035505001

"

Multi-task More Than Ever Before

Take multi-tasking to a whole other level with a brilliant 5.5" screen and amazingly innovative capabilities.

• Multi Window. Divide the screen into two active "windows" creating a split screen that enables fluid multitasking between applications."

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/14/verizons-samsung-galaxy-note-2-spotted-on-display-at-best-buy-s...

[ Edited ]
13 of 427 (31,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 14, 2012 2:05:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

Little upset. I am sick of Verizon always getting these updates so much faster. I am still in shock that I paid so much for a phone that I cannot transfer my apps to the SD card, now I just saw a video on multiview and as usual ATT is behind.

14 of 427 (31,001 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 14, 2012 7:08:18 PM
(0)
Teacher

Another thing

Has anyone noticed that if you pull down the notification shade there is no toggle for mobile data no blocking mode toggle either

but in a review on an att one on you tube they are there i dont get it.

15 of 427 (30,874 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 15, 2012 8:10:00 AM
(0)
Mentor

Ridiculous. Verizon have the MultiView upgrade and there phones haven't even shipped out yet, LOL!!

Sprint has the MultiView upgrade.

AT&T botched preorder shipping, now we are getting cheated with this feature in which I was looking forward

to way before I preordered the phone.

My bet is that we will get the MultiView upgrade when Verizon ships there phones out, in which will be 12 days

from now.

16 of 427 (30,695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 15, 2012 11:44:40 AM
(0)
Teacher

Anyone else not concerned that we might not be getting this update as the Galaxy S3 does not have it? How confident are you guys that we will be getting this multiview update?

17 of 427 (30,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 15, 2012 1:11:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

THIS IS BAIT AND SWITCH MARKETING!!

AT&T showed their Note 2 in the marketing videos WITH the MultiVIEW..I pre ordered and received it the FIRST day and it was not what they showed it having...for this reason I am VERY unhappy and after being a customer for 17 years I am thinking about dropping them after this stunt!! Yes I went with AT&T after MCCAW Cell. Bait and switch is punishable by law!

18 of 427 (30,559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 15, 2012 2:03:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

UPDATE: Looks like it is comming soon guys. I am so happy. Lets keep bugging them. Go to Samsung Mobile USA Facebook and post or the Samsung website use their chat option.

My facebook post: 

Please release the Multiview update fore the Galaxy Note 2 for AT&T customers. I cannot believe they didn't include this.

Samsung Mobile USA Hi Dexter -- we're working on getting the updated software to all Galaxy Note II devices shortly. We think it'll be worth the wait -- thank you so much for your patience!

My samsung chat log:

Bradley: Yes, the multi-window feature will be enabled soon. It will be MR update from the carrier and you can download the update Over the air.

dex: Oh okay do you know if this will be this month or before the christmas break?

Bradley: I really do understand your concern, but as of now we do not have any information on the MR update. However, I am positive that it might be this month. I cannot give the exact date. I am sorry.

dex: So I can have a peace of mind along with the tons of AT&T customers now and it is safe to say that we WILL be getting the update for the multiview window for the Samsung galaxy note 2 for AT&T customers soon right???

Bradley: Yes, exactly.

19 of 427 (30,535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 15, 2012 2:31:47 PM
(0)
Mentor

Ha, I spoke with that same guy from Samsung Bradley, and he repeated the exact same thing. Its a shame ATT nor Samsung can give us date for release.

20 of 427 (30,525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 16, 2012 7:15:07 PM
(0)
Mentor
That is great to hear. . I was getting worried. Let's hope it's sonnet than later. I wonder if the screen recording function will be enabled also? It would be nice to do little tutorials on the device and it's functions as my wife has an original note and leans on me for a learning source. .

21 of 427 (30,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 18, 2012 12:55:54 AM
(0)
Teacher

I waited for the Galaxy Note 2 to be released for over a month and then once it was released we were the third carrier to release it. Then after waiting it does not even come with headphones which Sprint, and T-mobile both did. Not mention they came in a actual Samsung box similar to the Galaxy S3 but not AT&T version they decided to make up there own box and steal the headphones while they were at it. Now to the multi-window why is sprint release the update before AT&T and I was just at Best Buy and they have there display model up and it comes stock with the multi-window. I'm very disappointed with AT&T. I left Sprint 6 months ago and paid early termination fees to come to AT&T and it seems like there never slow to roll out updates or phones. My girlfriend has the Galaxy S3 and still has not gotten the update for the Jelly Bean which also Sprint was the first to release that followed by T-mobile. I still have about five days to return this phone and could be leaving AT&T with the other line on my account to a carrier that likes to do things right.

Come on AT&T get it together and make your customers happy your said to be the second largest mobile provider well with stunts like this you might go down a few pegs possibly the bottom.

P.S.. Push out the updates for multi-window on the Galaxy Note 2, and the Jelly Bean update for the S3 and send me the headphones that were missing from my Galaxy Note 2.

22 of 427 (29,689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 20, 2012 11:19:50 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by elantric on Nov 20, 2012 at 11:25:21 AM

AT&T Note 2 SG-I317 is also missing ALL THE FOLLOWING!

* Group Shot Camera mode - with the ability to change faces.

* Mobile data toggle

* Blocking mode toggle.

and
* Screen Recorder

* MultiView

Its not the phone I was sold via Samsung Marketing.

[ Edited ]
23 of 427 (29,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 21, 2012 10:30:30 AM
(0)
Mentor

I think we are dreaming, AT&T doesn't seem to look at these posts. They are busy pinning important topics Ike att locker and visual voicemail walk throughs.lol. There are a dozen threads about updates with nothing from AT&T, just a lot of unhappy customers talking to each other. I only deal with att because I have a complicacted family plan with four phones and two tablets.  But you can bet next year when they start dropping off contract ill think twice before resigning.

24 of 427 (28,752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 24, 2012 9:19:41 PM
(0)
Scholar
I'm disappointed. I bought this phone today and tried the mutiltaking feature just to find out that it doesnt work with the At&t Note 2 yet =( I hope they roll out those updates soon!

25 of 427 (27,675 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 25, 2012 9:03:17 AM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T just doesn't get it.  They are so worried about adding value, locking customers, etc when the only thing people want is for them to leave the phones alone.  we don't need all their crappy apps, just a quick update.  They are so out of touch with customers, its a real shame and somebody (sprint? t-mobile) is going to be the company that gets it.

AT&T - listen to your customers!

26 of 427 (27,506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 29, 2012 5:13:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

I got mine on nov 9th, an no headphones in my box either. Pretty crappy treatment for the price, it's a sweet phone though. It beats my iPhone 4S all to crap, everyone wants to check it out. Will be better when they roll out this update, have to wait for some then that was supposed to be on it to start with. What's up ATT

27 of 427 (25,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 29, 2012 9:03:24 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by mike_o on Nov 29, 2012 at 9:06:06 PM

Mine had a broken charging cable out of the box (questionable quality control?), so they gave me a new cable.  It is also missing headphones and had a really weak wall charger (when charging it says USB instead of AC and takes like 6 hours).  I ended up getting a 2 amp usb wall charger off amazon and now it actually charges at a normal speed.  Also, there is a low hissing noise for audio out of the internal speaker and through headphones.  It is less noticeable with headphones that have a higher impedance but quite annoying on the pair that I currently have (which were completely silent on my iphone 4s).  I tested the audio white noise issue on some store models too and they all had it (if you put the rear speaker right up to your ear and turn the volume down, after the last volume change beep you'll hear the hiss for a few seconds followed by a click and then silence.  It isn't really noticeable from the external speaker during day to day use but is really annoying if your headphones are sensitive to it.

The floating browser app works well with the popout video feature, and while it isn't multiview at least allows you to view two separate pages at the same time. 

Overall I have been pleased with it and it is way better than my iphone 4s.  There are a few random basic things that android is missing though (like shake to undo on iphone), how do you undo an accidental text deletion?  Also, there is no 3g / 4g / edge toggle (which would be nice to save battery life), I think ATT pushed to remove this around the time the iphone 4 came out as turning off 3g on your iphone used to be an option and was a great way to save battery life.

[ Edited ]
28 of 427 (25,431 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 30, 2012 8:31:18 AM
(0)
Tutor

Pretty dissapointing.  I'm a heavy business user and MultiView is one of the biggest reasons I went for the phone.  Just received it yesterday.  I like the phone a lot and this would have put it over the top but unavailable advertised features a huge let down from ATT.  Hopefully the feed is correct and we will be receiving the update in the VERY near future.

29 of 427 (25,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 30, 2012 6:21:29 PM
(0)
Mentor
I doubt it. I seriously do. I am a business user also and multi was a serious portion of the reason I purchased the unit.First, getting a straight answer on when it was coming out, was a month long "we don't know" from att in both the stores and customer care. I was on the phone and chats at 2 am trying to get an answer and got nothing! I then joined and tried on the Facebook threads, nothing! We don't know but hold tight, and by the end of the month on their pages, so I just quit them.
This, by far has been the worst and most disappointing electronic purchase I have ever made. This after decades of radio control, beta testing for software and hardware companies (along with a cellular manufacturer), hydroponics, electronics, pc building and repair, and not to mention just electronics on s personal level. This is and has been the worst by far! I sold a fully functional note 1, full of accessories for this?

At this point in my opinion

30 of 427 (25,108 Views)