Posted Nov 12, 2013
7:41:23 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note 3: Android 4.4 (Kit-Kat) update

Any news when will Android 4.4 (aka Kit-Kat) be available for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 devices?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 28, 2014 12:12:23 PM
(0)
Community Manager

That's right guys, a 4.4.2 Kit Kat OS update was released yesterday morning! Here is a support article with everything you need to know about it:

Update for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Thank you,

Dmitriy

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
98 replies
(17) Me too
(17) Me too
Replies
(98)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 4, 2014 7:58:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

Wayne,

regarding the "R" word....   I keep checking XDA for an AT&T R for my sch-1467.   Sadly, without Odin and a PC it isn't yet possible.

death to Bloatware!:smileymad:

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 3: Android 4.4 (Kit-Kat) update

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 5, 2014 10:31:22 AM
(0)
Scholar

4.4.2 for the S4 was released by AT&T for OTA updates on 2/26/2014, verified by AT&T support.

Based on Samsungs press release about 4.4.2 sometime mid-feburary, and other Note 3's (elsewhere in the world, and other carriers) getting the update already, I bet AT&T is  working on releasing 4.4.2 for Note 3 in the US soon.

If not, I will personally be jumping ship for a competitor who has released it (while guaranteeing I will fix the stupid GPS problem with Note3 at the same time).

So, it is in their best interest to release it sooner rather than later. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 5, 2014 11:41:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

Just so you know, I can confirm from very personal, side-by-side experience in my car that Verizon DOES NOT drop the GPS signal. I moved to ATT last month and had my 6 month old Note 3 from VZN that I kept while I awaited the $160 for 4 lines to make sure it went through and I ran Waze and Maps on both devices at the same time and every couple of mins (or with a new message or charger plug-in) the ATT phone would drop GPS (rectified each time by turning the GPS off and back on). 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 6, 2014 1:30:31 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Smartfast on Mar 6, 2014 at 1:33:23 PM

great info beardgod. I had AT&T support today try to tell me that this is not an AT&T issue. I think your post proves otherwise.

I will also note, I have a verizon S4 (not a note 3 but quite close) provided by my job, and it does not have ANY of the GPS issues I have with my AT&T note 3. I also still have my previous phone -- AT&T Note 2. I switch my sim card into that phone and it works fine also. It's only the Note 3 that has this issue.

I was able to receive a $25 credit from AT&T today after persistant complaining. Now i will sit tight for another 3 weeks, hopefully the update will come by then. If it doesnt, or it does not fix the issue, I will get loud again. (You will see me post here...)

Until then, I will just use my Verizon S4 to navigate flawlessly and without any safety issues.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 7, 2014 7:16:10 AM
(0)
Contributor

I am wondering why AT&T is taking so long to release Kit-Kat update to Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Are you not ashamed for this being delayed? Except AT & T all the US carriers released it... Is there any specific geniune reason for this delay?

Enough AT&T; give us the KItKat release for Samsung Galaxy Note 3

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 7, 2014 7:37:16 AM
(0)
Mentor
S4 kitkat released over a week ago and sadly still no kitkat for note 3. This is pretty embrassing for the second largest carrier in the US. Losing to all the other carriers.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 7, 2014 8:46:59 AM
(0)
Professor

any word on the galaxy s 3    not the note  for 4.4?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 7, 2014 10:56:41 AM
(0)
Scholar

I had an online chat rep for AT&T tell me outright that the reason they have not yet released KitKat for note3 is because they are trying to include a GPS fix. I posted his coment and name verbaitum to the GPS problem thread.

I dont know how accurate his understanding is but that sounds believable to me..

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 9, 2014 9:58:42 AM
(0)
Tutor
The Note 3 is the flagship business phone/phablet. I expect it to function like it with Solid updates. If we have to wait an extra week okay but since we are likely 90% business users we should not be waiting until after the S4 has already been updated. If I can't get the service I personally will find another carrier who knows how to treat it's business customers.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014 9:18:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

Has Keys been updated? Last time I checked (Dec.?) it hadn't been. And was therefore a waste of time.

nburgos305 wrote:

is there any way to push the pre update ? it keeps saying install interupted

Try doing it through Keys.  You should be able to get it from there since Samsung finally posted the update to there site.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014 9:23:19 AM
(0)
Tutor

That's Samsung's "Kies". Sorry for the confusion.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014 9:39:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

Is the kitkat available in Kies already?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014 3:17:31 PM
(0)
Teacher

Absolutely, as long as you have a T-Mobile or Sprint Note 3... :smileyindifferent:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014 3:39:17 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm hopeful that the KitKat update has the GPS fix as well. My wife and I both have Note 3's (aka $1,400 of electronics in our hands) that we hope when driving will always have at least one of the two with active GPS.

If I go with a Note 4, it won't be the AT&T version...no matter how different the CPU is. Locked bootloaders should be optional when you flat out purchase the phone. If I buy it, I own it and want to tweak it to my liking without voiding a warranty.

So Sprint, T-Mobile, and many international carriers are enjoying the 4.4.2 on the Note 3. When will it come to us AT&T users in the Good 'Ol U.S.A.?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 12, 2014 12:07:33 AM
(0)
Mentor
IT has been 2 weeks since the released of s4 and sadly no update for noye 3 kitkat. Second largest carrier my butt. If you want to compete with tmobile Update the note 3, cuz Tmobile released kitkat for note 3 last week

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 12, 2014 4:19:44 AM
(0)
Teacher

Why you are rushing to Kitkat anyway? Do you know that your external SD card will become READ ONLY?

No more moving apps to the external storage. I will not mention apps which will stop work and they will never work in Kitkat. Enjoy Jelly Bean!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 12, 2014 12:00:13 PM
(0)
Master
Even if kitkat does come out soon I plan on waiting to install it on my new Note 3 anyway. I'm not having any problems now and can therefore wait and see how stable Kitkat is on the Note 3 first.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 12, 2014 3:03:18 PM
(0)
Scholar

@toja3

>Why you are rushing to Kitkat anyway?

Only one reason: because of the GPS issue!

Once the SD card problem graces me, I will voice my opinion loudly and speak with my wallet to get that fixed.

Also once my phones warranty expires, I will root and then visit x d a to apply the sdcard fix, which I know, if it doesnt already exisit, will soon. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 12, 2014 8:55:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T & Verizon are the only US carriers to lock down the phone bootloader using Samsung Knox so they can maintain complete control over the device.  This is taking the engineers more time. 

IMO this is a big business mistake - Folks who really care about this will likely have a workaround and will be be the most frustrated by AT&T  -> moving to T-mobile or Sprint.  Hope that AT&T gets the message that it should spend time building it's network and not locking down devices that consumers purchase.  At some point the government will step in and we will all look back at AT&T as the evil empire while T-mobile is the liberator.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 13, 2014 5:03:39 AM
(0)
Teacher

"@Smartfast"

You can fix GPS now, when you root phone. 6 files to copy over faulty ones, are already on x d a

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 13, 2014 8:19:42 AM
(0)
Scholar

yes, and if I did, I know I can jump through some hoops to "unroot" if my phone was to have a problem.

However I am looking for a solution that does not sacrafice the phone's warranty and does not cause me to jump through hoops as a workaround. 

I bought a phone that should work properly, and it does not work properly. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 13, 2014 9:25:11 AM
(0)
Teacher

Agree. But fix should be apply on Jelly Bean first and after this in Kitkat

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 13, 2014 2:47:36 PM
(0)
Teacher

The kit-kat update for the Note 3 is taking longer because there is a bigger problem with the Note 3 on the ATT network.  The GPS being broken has made the news now.  Its no longer ATT's dirty little secret that they can keep hush.  Now that it's public that the GPS is broken they have to make sure that this update of Kit-Kat fixes the problem.  I would imagine that for the most part they are testing it and...it's not fixing the problem.  So to avoid a mass recall or a mass of customers wanting there money back..they are stringing customers along with the update.  At the end of the day Kit-Kat is not going to fix what ATT broke on the phone.  Customers who actually rely on there Note 3 GPS will everntually be entitled to a full refund or exchange.  You see having a broken GPS means that your paying for something your not getting which means you are entitled to a refund or full exchange.  They can't swap out the phone for a replacement because they are all broken..so there is no use in sending a customer a replacement. They have to issue a full refund or exchange end of story.  It's pretty much like buying the phone and having it arrive not being able to make calls..that would entitle you to a refund.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 13, 2014 4:38:27 PM
(0)
Scholar

stewart2568 wrote:

At the end of the day Kit-Kat is not going to fix what ATT broke on the phone.

How do you know this? 

I've read accounts of many people who rooted their phone to apply other (standard Samsung / Internationally used, unsupported by AT&T) GPS library files and it fixed the problem.

Also those who voided their warranty to install an "unsupported" version of KitKat to their Note3 also saw the problem disappear.

And some people can't reproduce the issue at all.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 14, 2014 11:08:08 AM
(0)
Teacher

That's a total bogus reason for any releases taking longer.  The AT&T engineers are the ones writing the code to lock the bootloader.  Why would it take them more time to work around the limitations they put in place?

You should work for AT&T support with smoke and mirrors responses like that. "There was an ice storm in Dallas and our developers haven't been able to write code fast enough to fix the problems"... "Samsung is all the way in Korea, its sure hard to fix all their good code we broke."... There should be a contest for the best garbage reason to why software fixes take 6+ months to be identified, fixed, and rolled out.  I'd be shocked if it was remedied before the Note 4 releases next Sept/Oct.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 15, 2014 12:25:55 PM
(0)
Teacher

AT&T just flat out s u c k s. After my contract is done I am GONE! This is ridiculous to have to wait for an update while they supposedly fix the GPS issue when in reality they are trying to get the lockdown done. I paid for the phone therefore I OWN the phone. I should be able to do what I like with it. If they don't like it then that is their issue. And of course this carrier would have to be the last one to get it out... if they do. AT&T needs to stop this shoddy business practice and move forward.

10 months and counting until the handcuffs are unlocked. Hasta la vista AT&T.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2014 2:20:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

Well..I can't complain anymore about the ATT Galaxy Note 3.  They refunded me the entire price of the phone and I get to keep the phone.  So for the most part everything else works on the phone except the GPS and I have a Garmin for that now.  So they shut me up...LOL!!! can't complain about a phone being broke if it was free in the first place...LOL!!! oh well.  But this is the last samsung I buy end of story.  I'm going back to either HTC or an iPhone.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2014 2:22:54 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hope you guys get your update soon but from what I hear...don't hold your breath...they are having serious issues trying to fix the GPS on this phone...trying to aviod a mass recall I guess..LOL!!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2014 9:29:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

They would never admit to that, they let SGS1 Captivate go on for its entire life without a working GPS.  The longer they let it go, the better the chance you'll change phones or carriers until the problem is fixed by no one using the hardware

Since the FCC complaints aren't much for Ma Bell to bat an eyelash at, I'm to the point where I think people should start filing Federal Trade Commission (FTC) complaints.  This has all the makings of deceptive business practices against consumers.  Whether this phone was their cheapest or most expensive, they're selling in knowing it does not work as advertised due to the own manupulation of the product.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 19, 2014 3:13:57 AM
(0)
Mentor
I will be going into AT&T next week to look at alternative devices. I'm stepping this up after my GPS frustrations this week. If they don't move me to a NEW phone of another model I will be filing an FCC Complaint. I am also going to look into moving to another carrier. T-Mobile is interesting and there I just have to check coverage areas.