Posted May 7, 2012
11:05:18 AM
Use 3GS as Wi-fi Hotspot

My family is taking a trip to Florida next month. I was planning on upgrading to the 5GB tethering plan for the trip and allow my kids to tether to my iPhone via wi-fi to avoid using up their 200MB data plans. I figured my wife could use her Kindle Fire that way also.

I learned today that AT&T says an iPhone 4 or 4S is required to use the iPhone as a wi-fi hotspot. (They say it can be tethered via USB or Bluetooth.) I have a 3GS running iOs 5.x. The option for wi-fi hotspot is in my settings.

My question is, has anyone figured out how to use their 3GS as a hotspot either natively or through an app?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
May 7, 2012 1:34:59 PM
(0)
Employee

gphipps wrote:

My family is taking a trip to Florida next month. I was planning on upgrading to the 5GB tethering plan for the trip and allow my kids to tether to my iPhone via wi-fi to avoid using up their 200MB data plans. I figured my wife could use her Kindle Fire that way also.

I learned today that AT&T says an iPhone 4 or 4S is required to use the iPhone as a wi-fi hotspot. (They say it can be tethered via USB or Bluetooth.) I have a 3GS running iOs 5.x. The option for wi-fi hotspot is in my settings.

My question is, has anyone figured out how to use their 3GS as a hotspot either natively or through an app?

As you have determined, the 3GS can be a hotspot but you can only connect to it via USB or bluetooth. The 3GS is not capable of being a wifi hotspot. This is not an AT&T restriction. Apple decided not to implement the wifi hotspot in the 3GS.

It may be possible to connect the 3GS to a wireless router via USB and then use that router's wifi but you'd have to figure out a way to provide power to the router.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

Use 3GS as Wi-fi Hotspot

22 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(22)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 7, 2012 11:08:55 AM
(0)
Master

There are ways that cannot be discussed here but you run the risk of ATT cutting you off......  If you have an unlimited data plan now, you will find your speeds slowed down after 3GB of use which can go quick.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Use 3GS as Wi-fi Hotspot

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 7, 2012 11:34:19 AM
(0)
Scholar
I do not currently have an unlimited plan. I have the 200MB plan but was going to upgrade to the 5GB tethering plan.

Why would AT&T cut me off if I have a tethering plan?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 7, 2012 12:07:52 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Max69 on May 7, 2012 at 12:08:15 PM

They wouldn't. They only do that to folks with the unlimited plan who use excessive amounts of data.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 7, 2012 12:25:01 PM
(0)
Expert

gphipps wrote:
I do not currently have an unlimited plan. I have the 200MB plan but was going to upgrade to the 5GB tethering plan.

Why would AT&T cut me off if I have a tethering plan?

as long as you have a data plan with the tethering option they would not, that is the 5GB plan, it specificly states tethering is available with it.

If you had the old unlomited plan or any of the lower tiered plans they would not cut you off but would automaticly change the plan to one that allows tethering

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 7, 2012 12:40:50 PM
(0)
Teacher

I would keep in mind that if you currently have the 200MB data plan for 15$ and upgrade to the 5GB tethering plan for 50$ you would only be able to downgrade to the 300MB plan for 20$.

Once you change data plans to allow tethering, if your phone has the option for a wifi hotspot it should be enabled for you to use automatically.  If I remember correctly you can only use bluetooth or usb tethering with the iPhone 3GS because of hardware limitations with the phone.  Bluetooth tethering should still work fine with other iphones and ipads, but I don't think the kindle fire supports bluetooth.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
May 7, 2012 1:34:59 PM
(0)
Employee

gphipps wrote:

As you have determined, the 3GS can be a hotspot but you can only connect to it via USB or bluetooth. The 3GS is not capable of being a wifi hotspot. This is not an AT&T restriction. Apple decided not to implement the wifi hotspot in the 3GS.

It may be possible to connect the 3GS to a wireless router via USB and then use that router's wifi but you'd have to figure out a way to provide power to the router.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 7, 2012 5:14:11 PM
(0)
Scholar

Laid-Back wrote:

I would keep in mind that if you currently have the 200MB data plan for 15$ and upgrade to the 5GB tethering plan for 50$ you would only be able to downgrade to the 300MB plan for 20$.

Thanks for that info. I didn't think of that. Looks like the kids will just have to be happy with their DVD players.

I really wish AT&T would come out with a shared data plan.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 7, 2012 5:19:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

sandblaster wrote:

I realize it's a hardware restriction and not an AT&T restriction.

Thanks for the idea of the router, but that's more trouble than I want to delve into. The kids will just have to, heaven forbid, entertain themselves!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 7, 2012 5:45:35 PM
(0)
Master

gphipps wrote:

Laid-Back wrote:

Thanks for that info. I didn't think of that. Looks like the kids will just have to be happy with their DVD players.

We will have to see, the CEO was recently quoated as saying that offering unlimited data was a big mistake.  With that view, I wonder if they ever would offer a shared plan?  It does have it's advantages in cases like yours.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 8, 2012 5:42:29 AM
(0)
Employee

youngjm wrote:

gphipps wrote:

Laid-Back wrote:

We will have to see, the CEO was recently quoated as saying that offering unlimited data was a big mistake.  With that view, I wonder if they ever would offer a shared plan?  It does have it's advantages in cases like yours.

It has been widely reported that both AT&T and Verizon intend to offer shared family data plans and AT&T's offering may be coming fairly soon according to this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57429659-94/at-t-mobility-ceo-family-data-plan-coming-soon-scoop/?t...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 8, 2012 5:50:43 AM
(0)
Expert

sandblaster wrote:

youngjm wrote:

gphipps wrote:

Laid-Back wrote:

It has been widely reported that both AT&T and Verizon intend to offer shared family data plans and AT&T's offering may be coming fairly soon according to this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57429659-94/at-t-mobility-ceo-family-data-plan-coming-soon-scoop/?t...

shared plans will come eventually, but I suspect that peope will be a little shocked at the sticker price and the simple fact that it will not be a blanket unlimited data usage plan, it will either be tiered as the current plans.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 8, 2012 6:32:45 AM
(0)
Scholar
I don't mind if it's not unlimited, don't expect it to be. We don't use a whole lot of data. We currently pay $45/month for 200MB on 3 iPhones. I'd gladly pay $50 for 5GB to share among the 3. That would be way more than what we currently use.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 8, 2012 8:27:54 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on May 8, 2012 at 8:29:07 AM

gphipps wrote:
I don't mind if it's not unlimited, don't expect it to be. We don't use a whole lot of data. We currently pay $45/month for 200MB on 3 iPhones. I'd gladly pay $50 for 5GB to share among the 3. That would be way more than what we currently use.

suspect that it will be a lot higher then that - would guess 60 - 70 for 8GB, or a base increase off the starting price for ever phone you add - 3GB @ 30.00 for the primary phone, then 10.00 for an additional 1GB for each additional phone on the plan. ROI needs to be maintain for the feature to be profitable for any corporation and pricing a shared plan below a comperable single plan just does not cut it in the profit plan 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 8, 2012 8:38:08 AM
(0)
Scholar
One can dream cant he? LOL

Thanks everyone for the replies to my original question. We've kinda gotten off topic now.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 8, 2012 9:10:43 AM
(0)
Master

sandblaster wrote:

youngjm wrote:

gphipps wrote:

Laid-Back wrote:

Off course I wrote my thoughts yesterday and the news that they are looking at shared data comes out today:-)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 8, 2012 11:19:35 AM
(0)
Expert

youngjm wrote:

sandblaster wrote:

youngjm wrote:

gphipps wrote:

Laid-Back wrote:

Off course I wrote my thoughts yesterday and the news that they are looking at shared data comes out today:-)

where do you see that? Got a link?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 8, 2012 1:05:07 PM
(0)
Master
Try this thread and the cnet news site plus all the blogs!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 8, 2012 1:49:04 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on May 8, 2012 at 1:51:07 PM

youngjm wrote:

Again, they say "coming soon" with no set date listed

the linked articles ends with the comment, still see nothing that said it release today as you original comment alluded to

"Whether its AT&T or Verizon that launches the plan first is uncertain. But the company clearly won't be alone in embracing the new model."

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 8, 2012 2:50:03 PM
(0)
Master
@wingrider01 I know you love to debate semantics and i am not going to play but if you reread my post, I say they are looking at shared data not that a shared data plan is coming out today.

Enjoy!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2012 8:04:45 AM
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

youngjm wrote:

Again, they say "coming soon" with no set date listed

the linked articles ends with the comment, still see nothing that said it release today as you original comment alluded to

"Whether its AT&T or Verizon that launches the plan first is uncertain. But the company clearly won't be alone in embracing the new model."

Not sure how you managed to interpret youngjm's comment about  "and the news that they are looking at shared data comes out today" as him saying that shared data plans were being released today; guess you must have skipped over the part where he said "the news"...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2012 5:09:49 PM
(0)
Guru

And there's been chatter about shared data plans for what - 2, maybe 3 years now? It's a little bit like 3DRealms & Gearbox Software saying Duke Nukem Forever was coming out "soon"...and we know how that turned out.

youngjm wrote:
@wingrider01 I know you love to debate semantics and i am not going to play but if you reread my post, I say they are looking at shared data not that a shared data plan is coming out today.

Enjoy!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2012 5:44:39 PM
(0)
Master

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

And there's been chatter about shared data plans for what - 2, maybe 3 years now? It's a little bit like 3DRealms & Gearbox Software saying Duke Nukem Forever was coming out "soon"...and we know how that turned out.

youngjm wrote:

Enjoy!

I think the difference here is it is not as much speculation by bloggers and wishful thinkers but rather folks from ATT in a better position to speak about it.  We will see but I am not holding my breath and/or thinking it will work for me?