Posted Sep 18, 2013
10:15:54 AM
iOS 7

iOS 7 is out, but I'm having a difficult time downloading it.  It keeps crashing, I suspect Apple's servers are being overloaded.

iOS 7

38 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(38)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 10:42:39 AM
(0)
Expert

Apple public forums are saying about 3.5 GB free needed to install the update

Re: iOS 7

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 10:42:46 AM
(0)
Mentor

What's it do when it crashes?  I'm in the middle of the update now.  "Preparing Update..."  Status bar is so almost complete... Stay tuned..

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 10:57:20 AM
(0)
Mentor
I started with 9.1 gig free. iPhone 4s. I've made it through download, verify, auto-reboot and now it's about 1/3 through the status bar with the apple logo. I started at 1:07 EST. Still not there...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 11:13:17 AM
(0)
Mentor

Success!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 11:29:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Just downloaded it myself, was about 762MB (not via iTunes), rather Software Update itself. :smileyhappy:
~Sunshine :smileyhappy:
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 12:11:20 PM
(0)
Professor
Just downloaded and installed via software update on the phone. My initial impression is, I hope they being out an option to revert to the "Classic" look in the future. I really don't like the new flat bubblegum and candy look.

No problems with the update except for having to try a few times to download and then verify because the servers were busy.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 12:30:49 PM
(0)
Expert

dwill05 wrote:
Just downloaded and installed via software update on the phone. My initial impression is, I hope they being out an option to revert to the "Classic" look in the future. I really don't like the new flat bubblegum and candy look.

No problems with the update except for having to try a few times to download and then verify because the servers were busy.

this is about the same reaction on the apple forums - outside of the yelling about not having more servers. One question that was asked but not answered - In IOS 6.x.x you could double click the home button and terminate the backgtround running apps - how is that done in 7. Debating upgrading my personal Ipad to it since the apps that are on it all have IOS 7 compatiblity.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 12:41:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

When you double click the home button it opens like it would for multitasking each open app will be a postage stamp size to close it simply swipe up its closed.

Still wish they had a button to close all apps well maybe next time.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 12:47:41 PM
(0)
Scholar

E the P wrote:

iOS 7 is out, but I'm having a difficult time downloading it.  It keeps crashing, I suspect Apple's servers are being overloaded.

I was finally able to get it downloaded.  Rather sluggish at first, but I kinda like it.  There has been some reviews on reduced battery life, but hey there usually is.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 1:07:50 PM
(0)
Professor
To close the apps, double click the home button like usual. You'll get the app icon with a reduced size view of the page of the app above it. Swipe the PAGE view up to close, not the app icon.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 2:10:06 PM
(0)
Professor

Just make sure you backup your device before updating. The update hosed my iPad and I had to restore to factory, re-activate it, then restore the backup from before the update. Now waiting for all the apps and data to resync.

I think I'll hold off on updating the phone for a while.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 2:52:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Best hold on until night time or tomorrow at best to avoid any issues on updating. No idea how I managed to update mine without a hitch tho it took 20 minutes lol
~Sunshine :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 3:37:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I updated both my iPad4 and iPhone 5 from software update in both their settings menu so far so good now to get use to the new features.

I did update iTunes and backed both up.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 3:50:35 PM
(0)
Guru

I have the 4s and downloaded iOS7 earlier today without any problems. Does anyone know if Apple brought back the weather widget in the notification center? I read online it was there in the beta version but when I pull down the screen it's not there and I can't find it anywhere.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 4:30:37 PM
(0)
Expert

brainwaver wrote:

I have the 4s and downloaded iOS7 earlier today without any problems. Does anyone know if Apple brought back the weather widget in the notification center? I read online it was there in the beta version but when I pull down the screen it's not there and I can't find it anywhere.

downloaded in 4 minutes, 35 minutes to install, a life time of wishing that there was a way to go back

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 6:18:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

downloaded in 4 minutes, 35 minutes to install, a life time of wishing that there was a way to go back

Since this isn't the Apple support forums, I will mention that there are rumors if you still have your iOS 6.x.x ipsw file around, that there is a short window where you can force "upgrade" your iOS v7 device with that older iOS file, but only because Apple still has not rolled out the upgrade to all customers, so some customers are still only seeing iOS 6.1.x in their software update.  I have not tried this myself, but I have read reports of others doing it...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013 6:59:10 PM
(0)
Professor

i just got it and its fast. i love the new look.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013 5:08:51 AM
(0)
Expert

GeekBoy wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Since this isn't the Apple support forums, I will mention that there are rumors if you still have your iOS 6.x.x ipsw file around, that there is a short window where you can force "upgrade" your iOS v7 device with that older iOS file, but only because Apple still has not rolled out the upgrade to all customers, so some customers are still only seeing iOS 6.1.x in their software update.  I have not tried this myself, but I have read reports of others doing it...

sorry don;t hack items, going shopping for a replacement today, probably a nice surface

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013 7:05:53 AM
(0)
Scholar
My phone couldn't find the finale update for iOS 7
It came up with a error but once I plugged into the PC
I noticed iTunes needed updated before anything worked and it did, I dislike the new iTunes there isn't a option to add a folder of mp3s you have to drag one by one, but then I found you can drag files and put them in the add area and sync which is the same so I'm not
That annoyed anymore!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013 7:17:36 AM
(0)
Community Manager

I enjoy iOS7, there were couple of things I didn't like but I fixed them:

1. I didn't like new skinny fonts everywhere, found an option for Bold text in Accessibility, makes them look the same as they were before, everywhere except keyboard as far as I can tell.

2. There were all of my purchased (but not downloaded) songs in music, many of which I didn't want on my iPhone (cool thing about that is that you can now stream your songs from iTunes without downloading them (works with Movies too)), so my music app looked too busy. Easy fix: in Settings - Music, there is a new option called "Show All Music", unchecked it and I'm back to normal.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please use this link: ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013 7:26:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I really like the fact all my videos are in one place now under photos much easier to find.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013 6:20:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

One thing I have noticed that I dislike is that with the new feature to allow folders to have multiple pages, you are now limited to 9 items per page, so it makes my iPhone 5 feel like the screen has shrunk, and it just feels like its more crowded.

I have also noticed that when I am in the mail app, if I move a message to a folder, it seems to scroll the list of folders a few lines each time.  This becomes real noticeable when you have several messages in your inbox that you read and file one at a time, but they all go into the same folder.  Eventually, the destination folder scrolls of the screen and you have to scroll it back on to move the next message into that folder.

Every app I have tried so far have all worked for me except one.  The Weather Channel app crashes on load every time for me.  I do have a couple other apps that I can generally cause them to crash, but they are stable for the most part.Most of the apps that crash happen when I am trying to change screens in the app while it is still loading/drawing the current screen.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2013 5:07:25 AM
(0)
Expert

Hate IOS 7, not going to upgrade my phone and have already replaced the ipad with a MS Surface 64GB running Windows 8. Going to recommend that none of the corporate iphones be upgraded and put the IQ/CQ/PQ validation of the vertical market apps on low priority. Also the first time I have seen major websites publish the method to restore back to the previous version of the IOS

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2013 8:25:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The compass is better along with Theodalite if you have that app installed.

The new camera functions are neat, wish I had the slow-mo thats in the 5s with the 10 shot burst.

So far the only thing I wish I could change would be the white background.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2013 9:04:00 AM
(0)
Expert

oz_1 wrote:

The compass is better along with Theodalite if you have that app installed.

The new camera functions are neat, wish I had the slow-mo thats in the 5s with the 10 shot burst.

So far the only thing I wish I could change would be the white background.

you can, was able to change it to a star field on the ipad before I bought the surface to replace the ipad, did not see anyway to put a custom in but did not really dig very deep

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2013 10:45:52 AM
(0)
Scholar

I'm waiting a week or two so the bugs can be worked out..

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2013 10:48:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The background I would like to change would be iCal and Notes to a mild grey or off white without changing screen brightness and contrast because movies and photos look better in the default setting.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2013 7:48:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

wingrider01 wrote:

Hate IOS 7, not going to upgrade my phone and have already replaced the ipad with a MS Surface 64GB running Windows 8. Going to recommend that none of the corporate iphones be upgraded and put the IQ/CQ/PQ validation of the vertical market apps on low priority. Also the first time I have seen major websites publish the method to restore back to the previous version of the IOS

I agree with you. I don't particularly care for the new "bubblegum" look of the OS itself, as dwill05 described. I hated iOS 6 last year at first because it screwed up my ability to send/receive MMS, but the issue has since been fixed. I wanted to give iOS 7 a chance and possibly still might, but it looks like my iPhone 4 will be staying on iOS 6.0 for the rest of its life should I eventually sell it to someone that may update it to iOS 7. It's hard to believe the 4 will be phased out of new OS updates next year based on past updates, just like how they pulled the plug on the 3GS. 

You know what they say - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 20, 2013 10:35:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Whether certain owners like it or not iOS7 has a faster adoption rate than iOS6 had so I guess the majority likes it because with all the articles and screen shots they certainly had enough info to see if they wanted to stay or upgrade.