Posted Jul 11, 2013
5:59:14 PM
apps on vizio smart tv. There is no button on the uverse remote

I am not able to access apps on vizio smart tv since the uverse installer disabled my manufactuer's remote.  There is no button on the uverse remote

apps on vizio smart tv. There is no button on the uverse remote

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 11, 2013 6:09:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

How did the installer disable your manufacturer's remote?  It will still work to control the TV.  Maybe the batteries are dead?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: apps on vizio smart tv. There is no button on the uverse remote

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 14, 2013 7:51:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

there is no way of disabling your tv's remote. 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 14, 2013 7:54:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Perhaps the Vizio remote has various modes (similar to the u-verse remote) & the wrong mode is active.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 14, 2013 8:23:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

1.  You must use your TVs remote to access the "smart" features.

and

B.  There is no way to 'disable' the TV remote.  Review aviewer's response.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2013 9:12:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

Sure there is.  He could have thrown it into a bucket of bleach water or the toilet.  He could have removed the batteries.  He might have ran it over with his truck.  I'm sure that he did one of those things OR he migrated the TV's power and volume settings to the U-Verse remote, which rendered the TV remote to the junk drawer, lol..

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2013 10:16:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

Sure there is.  He could have thrown it into a bucket of bleach water or the toilet.  He could have removed the batteries.  He might have ran it over with his truck.  I'm sure that he did one of those things OR he migrated the TV's power and volume settings to the U-Verse remote, which rendered the TV remote to the junk drawer, lol..

Not true.  My TV power & volume were 'migrated' to my UVerse remote but my TV remote still has the ability to control those two things in addition to the apps.

I have a Smart TV (Sharp).  You have to use the TV remote for Netflix/YouTube/etc.

The TV remote works the all things TV but the Uverse remote works the TV volume &  power but NOT the apps.

Clear as mud, huh?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2013 11:19:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

skeeterintexas wrote:

dhascall wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

Not true.  My TV power & volume were 'migrated' to my UVerse remote but my TV remote still has the ability to control those two things in addition to the apps.

I have a Smart TV (Sharp).  You have to use the TV remote for Netflix/YouTube/etc.

The TV remote works the all things TV but the Uverse remote works the TV volume &  power but NOT the apps.

Clear as mud, huh?

I was trying to be funny.... :smileytongue:  I understand that outside of the power / volume (and sometimes TV inputs), you need the actual TV remote but I bet that the installer said "you won't need this anymore," referencing the TV remote, in the junk drawer. 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2013 11:34:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

My AT&T remote will control some of my TV's features, once I found the right code.  The MENU, ARROW and OK buttons function as expected (after pushing the TV button on the remote), so I don't know why equivlent buttons wouldn't work on a "SMART TV".  The number buttons go to the STB even when the remote is in TV mode.

But, sure, the consensus is that the old TV remote should not have stopped working to control the Smart TV, it's just not as convenient as being able to use the AT&T Remote (which I am not convinced is not possible, though it may be limited).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2013 12:02:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

JefferMC wrote:

My AT&T remote will control some of my TV's features, once I found the right code.  The MENU, ARROW and OK buttons function as expected (after pushing the TV button on the remote), so I don't know why equivlent buttons wouldn't work on a "SMART TV".  The number buttons go to the STB even when the remote is in TV mode.

But, sure, the consensus is that the old TV remote should not have stopped working to control the Smart TV, it's just not as convenient as being able to use the AT&T Remote (which I am not convinced is not possible, though it may be limited).

To be honest, I've never tried accessing the apps with the Uverse remote. 

There's a "Smart Central" button on the Sharp remote which brings up all apps.  Plus I have a big red Netflix dedicated button on the remote.  So I don't know how you'd access any apps with a Uverse remote since they go beyond the 'normal' requests.

edit:  I tried using the UV remote and the only thing I could access on the TV via the Menu button was the basic menu stuff like audio/video/setup/etc. 

You can't access the Smart Apps from the basic menu....at least not on my Sharp.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2013 4:10:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Since I'm a Sony type guy, all of my equipment electronics for entertainment are Sony.  So with my Sony "S" tablet it has all of the remotes for their "stuff" loaded in to it.  Need a Harmony remote?  Not!!  I can almost launch the space shuttle!!  Oh wait, that's gone isn't it?

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2013 4:20:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The more I think about it, I do believe that the last tech I had at the house (when I got new wireless receivers) told me I'd have to use the Sharp remote for Netflix and other apps.