Posted Mar 13, 2010
7:12:47 AM
Able to receive unable to send outlook email using Home 7
In Outlook I can receive email yet am unable to send. My new laptop is using Windows 7 operating system. I have checked my POP and SMTP settings which appear okay yet the test mentions service interruption of: Task ‘our email address @att.net – Sending’ reported error (0x800CCC0F) : ‘The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP).’ Please help us resolve this annoying problem. Thanks in advance!!
52 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(52)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 3, 2011 4:51:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

Read further down in the postings where it is suggested to change your outgoing server to 587 and incoming to 110 and turn off the SSL on the advanced settings tab.   It is sad that we as users have to support each other and can't receive this assistance from AT&T.

Re: Able to receive unable to send outlook email using Home 7

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 3, 2011 10:38:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

My email has been working fine and then all of a sudden it stopped last night. It has nothing to do with Outlook or Windows. It is AT&T. I don't know if this matters but they changed the POP and SMTP. It does say you can still use your old server settings but I think they did something without telling anyone.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570#fbid=ZlYULh50ZvD

Note: AT&T's POP/SMTP settings have recently changed to inbound.att.net and outbound.att.net. However, if you are using the old settings, they will continue to work.

The following mail server settings will work with all AT&T email domains: @ameritech.net, @att.net, @bellsouth.net, @flash.net, @nvbell.net, @pacbell.net, @prodigy.net, @sbcglobal.net, @snet.net, @swbell.net, @wans.net.

Incoming (POP): inbound.att.net

Outgoing (SMTP): outbound.att.net (requires authentication)

Incoming Port: 995, secure connection (SSL) checked

Outgoing Port: 465, secure connection (SSL) checked

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 4, 2011 6:29:26 AM
(0)
Teacher

I FINALLY solve this myself.  Using Win7 and Outlook 2010, I used all the standard settings given by ATT, but for the security of the smtp port (after the 465) I selected "Auto" on the pull down menu.  

For some reason, that solved my problem--now I can send email!!!

ATT should fix this instruction on their "help" site.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 14, 2011 10:59:47 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm glad it helped you. However, I'm still struggling with this junk! AT&T Tech support is useless!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 15, 2011 8:24:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

You might try different port settings as ATT (yahoo mail) seems to keep changing them.  The pop should be either 995 (secure) or 110 (non secure) and the smtp 465 (secure) or 25 (non-seccure). Right now 995 and 465 or 110 and 25 all seem to work but last week only 110 and 25 would work. Before that only, 995 and 465 would work..  Why do they keep changing them, I have not a clue nor does ATT tech support as I was told that ATT does not support and e-mail clients on a personal computers. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 16, 2011 5:51:22 AM
(0)
Teacher
Just found this on AT&T's support page:
"Alert: Intermittent Password Issues

AT&T has identified several intermittent password-related issues that may impact customers, including the following:

Customer email passwords suddenly stop working After password resets, customers are unable to access email Customers are getting caught in password reset loops The "Remember Me" password option for email isn't always working Customers are unable to send/receive email with new mail settings

Please be aware that AT&T is working to resolve these issues. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms above and have been unsuccessful accessing your email or resetting your password, please Contact Us for more assistance."

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2012 8:05:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

I had same problem.  Using Outlook Express 6.  After many try's with all suggestions, I went to the Outgoing submenu under servers and put in my email address and password for the outgoing mail.  This is opposed to the option of "use the same settings as incoming".  (these notes may not be exact words on screens because I'm trying to remember them without going back to Outlook)

cougar6333

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 13, 2012 10:34:44 AM
(0)
Contributor

I think that AT&T email server is very inconsistent. I received my email from Outlook @07:00AM to 09:00AM then I received error message: "
Task{personal content removed for safety}- Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I was able to login via web browser and see all my new mail but continue to receive the error message above from outlook. This problem happens quite often and it is very frustrating. Especially, go thru with AT&T tech support so many times and they check your setting. My setting must be correct cause I did not change and receive email just an hour earlier.

Any advise from AT&T or some of you who had a same problem.... My gmail never fail me at all....

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 25, 2012 3:35:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

What are you supposed to do when you are trying to send a email using your work email address? I travel my email works everywhere I go except when I come to my parents house. Please Explain why I would even have to change any of my email settings for my work email when it works on several different networks. I have checked the firewall settings on the local Rewire router smtp is enabled. I even tried setting up my laptop on the DMZ. I do not understand why I can receive emails but I cannot send any when connected using the uverse connection. I looked in the logs and it looks like anything going out on port 25 gets dropped. Explain why that is when the firewall rules to allow outbound smtp traffic but when I look in the logs on the ATT equipment it tells me they dropped the packet.

src=192.168.1.76 dst=72.35.12.5 ipprot=6 sport=52287 dport=25 TCP SYN Packet Dropped.

this looks like you are blocking outbound traffic on port 25

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 31, 2012 8:29:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

microsofttrainer wrote:

I had the same problem with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010.  I am also a certified Microsoft Office trainer.  These new settings are not documented anywhere on the At&t Uverse site nor did the tech rep for AT&T know these settings are to even offer them to fix my problem.  They only wanted to send me to a 3rd party support team that would charge me.  Since more than 90% of the population uses Outlook as their email software you would think that this would be supported.  I find this poor customer service.  When I had Comcast they were able to support at no charge.

AMEN!  How stupid is it to make a company decision to NOT help your customers when the solution is simple....and guess what, TWC DOES help their customers in this department.  So, I guess when my introductory period is over with AT&T, I'll be switching back to TWC where I can get help when I need it, without a fee!

BTW, this setting did help me.  I am using a company email, Outlook 2010, Windows 8 beta.  

Outgoing server: Port 465 with SSL.  I did NOT have to change anything with my incoming.  I hope this helps someone.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 7, 2012 9:23:03 PM
(0)
Contributor
Worked like a charm! Thank you!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 8, 2012 2:36:38 PM
(0)
Contributor

This information was very helpful!!!!
I can now send emails.

Thanks
Donald

[edited for privacy]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 23, 2013 10:29:30 AM
(0)
Contributor

I had the same problem and followed the immediate response posted and I was then able to send from outlook 07.  However, being a brand new customer to U-Verse, I called customer support and got the typical AT&T run-around...only to end up in the advanced customer service section with them trying either sign me up on a $15/month tech support scheme or a one time $49.95 fix it fee.  AT&T is your typical "Take Advantage Of Anyone We Can" type of business.  I am currently working on replacing AT&T with another carrier, starting with Verizon.  That will be about $3600.00/year AT&T won't get.  Next, I will take my $600.00/year and give it to another provider.  I recommend that everyone else do the same.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2013 4:48:50 PM
(0)
Contributor
Karen_2...THANK YOU!!!! I have literally spent 2 hours trying to fix this on my machine. They tried to send me to a paid-for support until I found you. You're the best! :-)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 1, 2013 2:22:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have TWO :aptops running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 BIT.

Called customer service and all they could do was blame it on outlook 2007 and recent updates that changed something.

NOT SO AT ALL......

Your settings above fixed it. EVERYONE be sure to change the little box from NONE to SSL.

That fixed it!!

Great job!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 6, 2013 6:20:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for all of the help!!! None of these options were working for me... It seemed to allow "no verification" on my ATT.NET email account and was able to see received mails, however it REFUSED to send.... Reset Authintication from: NONE to PASSWORD... Works Fine Now!!! :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 30, 2013 7:26:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm on Charter internet but use my almost 20 year old att.net account for "everything".  Beginning about a month ago, I get, about 30% of the time, a message (I  _THINK_ from the server outbound.att.net) the message"

>> 0036 354 Start Mail. End with CRLF.CRLF

18: SSL read error -24 (locus 0, type 0, 'Received TLS alert message: Close notifyÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌ')

Occasionally it will be "

>> 0036 354 Start Mail. End with CRLF.CRLF
18: SSL read error -24 (locus 0, type 0, 'Received TLS alert message: Close notifyÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌ')
<< 0006 RSET
19: SSL write error -24 (locus 0, type 0, 'Received TLS alert message: Close notifyÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌÌ')

I recently changed server IDs to the outbound.att.net in an attempt to correct this, but it made no difference; I do not remember what I was using, but think it was something like smtp.att.yahoo.com.

What can I do to eliminate the cause of this error?

Note; I use an independent email client, the old Pegasus Mail which I've used for longer than I've been an ATT.net subscriber; it worked with our old Novell NetWare servers as well.

Random SMTP failures

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 1, 2013 5:09:20 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hey folks. I've had ATT Uverse High Speed for maybe five years now, and I periodically have this SMTP problem where I can rec'v but not send email. I usually end up on the phone with them and they just have me change a bunch of stuff and then somehow it's magically fixed. This time they have high call volumes and long wait times, so I came here.

I'm using Outlook 2010 on Win7. What I get is the error message that says it was interrupted when connecting to the server.

So, I tried to get my email on the Yahoo Web interface just to rule out other stuff, and I keep getting caught up in this parental thing and I cannot access my effing email at all on the Web. (I'm not the parent of a child on Yahoo, nor am I a child on Yahoo.)

In response to this thread I tried changing the SSL to Auto and also changing the ports to the unsecure ones (110 and 25). It can't connect to the server at all when I use those.

It keeps prompting me for my password, which I did just change just to make sure. But of course I can't confirm the new password using the Web interface the way I usually do.

At least I know I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Re: Random SMTP failures

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 25, 2013 11:22:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

Configure your mailbox setting i.e. SMTP and POP3 setting in Outlook Properly.

Thanking You

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2013 3:35:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

This Post was started in March 2010 and it's now September 11, 2013 and AT&T hasn't changed the set-up information on the Self Help area. It's crap like this that makes me want to change my DSL service to Cable. On top of it everytime an AT&T rep offered a solution they sent us to the same help page that isn't helpful.

Pop3 = inbound.att.net port 995 Requires SSL

SMTP = smtp.att.yahoo.com port 587 Requires SSL

Out Going Mail Server check requires authentication and check Log On Using (enter email address)(enter password)

At this point you've tried som many things I don't think I need to telll you where everything is.

Over 3 years of posts looking for an answer and AT&T hasn't corrected the self help pages. If I waited that long I would lose visitors.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2013 9:14:33 AM
(0)
Contributor

after a couple days of searching these settings worked.  for outlook'03 windows x

tools 

accounts 
click on account
properties
servers
account name:full email address
password 21873k4b
remember password checked
my server requires auth
hit settings
check log on using
full email and password
click remember password.

outgoing 465 ingoing 995 check both server requires secure.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 19, 2014 8:55:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for all the helpful answers.  I have Outlook 7 and was finally able to get my Emil to send by changing my outgoing mail server to imap.mail.yahoo.com.     Even though i have an .att Email thru unverse         Also changed my server port to 465 as suggested.   Only took 2 hours, but it is finally working!   Would have never known about he port number!  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 31, 2014 3:05:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

All steps worked perfectly, and I am now able to receive and send with Outlook. The only watch-out is I have to be logged in to my att.com account or Outlook can't send. Apparantly the outgoing server doesn't recognize my credentials unless I'm already logged on to my account on att.com. I don't get why AT&T makes it so difficult to use Outlook for an e-mail client. I might have to give up and go back to using webmail again.