01-17-2010 03:52:25 PM
I am trying to connect u-verse to my xbox 360. The gateway is in another room so i cannot connect it directly. I have the wall unit connected directly to our uverse tv box.I can connect the 360 directly to the wall and it works fine but then I cannot have the tv recording for DVR. I have a netgear router. I tried to connect it to the router but i did not receive a connection. Do i just need to allow my router to be seen by my network or do i need to buy a switch. I need suggestions since I am new to u-verse.
01-17-2010 06:13:54 PM
You can do one of 2 things:
1. Purchase a small Ethernet switch that is 802-1p compliant, such as the NetGear GS105.
2. You can use your NetGear router, but you will have to configure it and hook it up as follows:
- Plug an Ethernet cable from the wall into the NetGear router, into one of the LAN ports.
- Log into the NetGear router, and turn off DHCP.
- Plug the U-Verse box into the NetGear router, into one of the LAN ports.
- Verify you can watch TV.
- Plug the XBox into the NetGear router, into one of the LAN ports.
- Verify the XBox works.
Note that you will not use the WAN port at all, it will be left empty.
01-17-2010 07:56:23 PM
Actually, there is an easier way than what I told you, try this:
- Power up the NetGear router with nothing connected to it.
- Turn off your laptop's wireless connection.
- Plug an Ethernet cable from the NetGear (one of the LAN ports) into your laptop.
- Your laptop will get an IP address from the NetGear. Open up a web browser, and enter http://xx.xx.xx.xx where xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP address of the NetGear. (To find this, open a command prompt on the laptop. Type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes. Note that there is a space between the g and the forward slash. In the output, there will be a Default Gateway listed. That is the IP address of the NetGear.)
- Once you have logged into the NetGear router, do the following:
- Turn off DHCP
- Change the LAN IP address of the NetGear to 192.168.1.20 (static address).
- Your laptop will lose network connectivity to the NetGear because the IP address has changed.
- Unplug your laptop from the NetGear, plug the NetGear into the wall.
- Turn wireless back onon your laptop.
- Try to browse to the NetGear using http://192.168.1.20.
- If that's successful, the NetGear is ready. Plug the U-Verse STB into it, and plug the XBox into it.