Posted Feb 20, 2011
5:59:40 PM
Disconnects/poor connectivity at night

Uverse has been great during the day.  I work from home all day and haven't had a single outage.

At night, though, been having some issues with complete disconnects and poor download speeds.

Not sure if it is power interference or what.  We have had 2 different techs out to check it out.  The first one fixed a ground problem and replaced the box on the house.  The second tech switched the pairs on the cat5 that the router was using and said it helped.  The problem evenings continue to pile up, though.

Here are some screens from uverse realtime if anyone has any input; thanks in advance for checking this out!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Nov 4, 2011 8:36:53 AM
(0)
Tutor

All,

These problem resumed about a month back.  I called the techs out again to take another look.

This time they replaced the gateway with a newer model, and everything has been great since.

When removing the old gateway, the tech noted that the power cord that had been given to me was not the stock power cable that comes with that gateway.  As a result, the gateway could've been underpowered or just powered incorrectly, which could explain all the issues that I was having.

So, if anyone still sees this thread for months/years to come: get them to look at the power cable on your gateway, or just get them to replace it altogether with the new model.

Accepted Solution

Disconnects/poor connectivity at night

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 20, 2011 7:54:11 PM
(0)
Expert

It looks to me like something is not right with the line.  You appear to be far from the VRAD, but not too far, yet your max rate is very low.  The average max rate for other customers at your distance is 33.6 Mbps, which is nearly 10 Mbps higher that your max rate of 24.1 Mbps.

You're on the lowest allowable line profile of 19/2, yet your line is only barely carrying that profile.

You should call technical support, have them send a premises tech to your house to check the line. He should open a helper ticket with the Installation and Maintenance group (I&M), which are the linesmen, to come see if the line can be conditioned to improve the max rate.

Re: Disconnects/poor connectivity at night

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2011 3:39:32 PM
(0)
Guru

I'd also ask them to upgrade your installation to one of the iNID installations.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2011 11:30:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

So, a tech just left the house and said that he couldn't find anything wrong.

Yet I am betting tonight I will still have the same issue, since the Uverse Realtime is still giving me the same readouts on power level.  Here is a screen during the day when things work significantly better.

It seems that the power level is still the same, only the reserve bits and bits in use are higher during the day.  What could this mean?

Thanks again for all your assistance, it is appreciated more than you know.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2011 5:38:22 PM
(0)
Mentor

Actually they have one profile lower, its the 13meg one that gives you the 12meg line.

Thats what mine originally was (when I first did self-install, but I had them change me to the 32 meg as now at 24 rate).

anyway with how far you are it may be that the wires that run down your street are not as good if they are not finding any issues.

You could ask them if they can switch the pair you use from the vrad to your house and to make sure it has no bridge taps on both tests that check it.

If still not better and you are happy with 12mb service have them lower you the the 13mb profile, unless you have TV service which than of course wont work. the 13meg profile is for HSI only customers with 12meg plan.

Otherwise yes you need the bonded pair install...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2011 7:42:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

We have TV and internet (no phone) with UVerse, so I suppose I am unable to go with the lower profile.

Again tonight it was near unwatchable; unless there is something else they can do -- other than send out a tech saying everything is ok -- looks like I'll have to go back to cable/dish.

If anyone has any ideas about what to tell them when I call in to get the right stuff done, I'm all ears.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 27, 2011 5:38:05 PM
(0)
Tutor

Updates:

1. Premises tech came out to the house at night and saw all kinds of errors, called in line techs.
  2. Line techs came out and said that everything looked great up to the box on the outside of the house.  Said that there had to be something wrong between the gateway and the outside box.  They recommended replacing the line under the house.
  3. Called a premises tech out to the house again and had them replace the line under the house.
  4. Things still haven't gotten 100% better.  I have moved the gateway and TV box plugs to their own outlet in hopes that would decrease the interference.  If it goes out again, the tech has given me his personal number so he can run some tests as the errors are occurring.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2011 8:39:56 PM
(0)
Mentor

I've recently been getting the same problems except for me its not just at night, but last couple of days I've been losing connection for a few seconds at a time. and don't know why. it had been fine. up until a few days ago I don't think we've ever experienced an outage like this.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 28, 2011 10:04:09 PM
(0)
Scholar

Ditto.

I've had 10 freezes in the last 20 minutes or so - second night in a row. Flawless for years before this.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Nov 4, 2011 8:36:53 AM
(0)
Tutor

All,

These problem resumed about a month back.  I called the techs out again to take another look.

This time they replaced the gateway with a newer model, and everything has been great since.

When removing the old gateway, the tech noted that the power cord that had been given to me was not the stock power cable that comes with that gateway.  As a result, the gateway could've been underpowered or just powered incorrectly, which could explain all the issues that I was having.

So, if anyone still sees this thread for months/years to come: get them to look at the power cable on your gateway, or just get them to replace it altogether with the new model.

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 21, 2011 3:26:06 PM
(0)
Expert

Thanks for the update!

bleemus wrote:

All,

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 11, 2012 8:38:45 AM
(0)
Contributor

I too have been having the same problem with not being able to log in after about 5:30 every night although it works sort of all day long.  I keep getting booted off of Skype.

When I called technical support they said I need to purchase another U-Verse router.  Where is the logic in that.  If the router was bad it would happen all the time and not at an exact time every day.  But unlike some of the people having the problem I am only 200 feet away from the U-Verse connection on my street.  When a tech came down right after I started using the router he said that I was too close and added a 500 foot spool of cable between the box on my house and the router inside of my house.

I tried to go back to my AT&T DSL but they wouldn't let me and I had no problems with it.

Les