Posted Feb 16, 2012
12:45:17 PM
Fox Sports Midwest - Cardinals Blackout 2012

Have the issues that led to 20 Cardinals games being blacked out last season been resolved?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Apr 13, 2012 10:42:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Good news for Cardinal fans!  A deal has been reached:

St. Louis Cardinals fans with AT&T U-verse can breath a sigh of relief.

AT&T released a statement Friday saying they had reached an agreement with FSN Midwest to carry the remaining 18 St. Louis Cardinals game that were initially subject to black outs.

AT&T says that U-verse customers will now have access to these games, beginning with this Sunday's game between the St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago Cubs.

The struggle between AT&T and FSN Midwest blacked out 20 games last season. The companies had yet to reach an agreement the past week, blacking out 2 games this season.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/315695/3/ATT-U-verse-reaches-agreement-with-FSN-Midwest-to-carry-Cardinals-games

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Fox Sports Midwest - Cardinals Blackout 2012

121 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(121)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 16, 2012 12:53:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

CPav wrote:

Have the issues that led to 20 Cardinals games being blacked out last season been resolved?

I am glad you saw my post on Cards Talk in response to your post. The poster on Cards Talk posted information from last year. So far there is no answer on Cards Talk or on this forum about this year.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Fox Sports Midwest - Cardinals Blackout 2012

2 of 122 (3,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 17, 2012 10:40:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yep.  Thanks for the tip.

I'll probably call them at some point over the weekend.

3 of 122 (2,985 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 17, 2012 11:51:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

If they don't get this figured out I'll have to change to another TV service.  It would be ridiculous to let this go on another year.

4 of 122 (2,978 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 19, 2012 5:27:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

Looks like all games will be televised based on a 2/16 Cardinal Press article.  FSM will broadcast 150 games; 10 games will be nationally televised; the remaining 2 games (7/22 & 8/12) will be on either FSM or ESPN.

5 of 122 (2,940 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 19, 2012 6:38:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

jonalan1 wrote:

Looks like all games will be televised based on a 2/16 Cardinal Press article.  FSM will broadcast 150 games; 10 games will be nationally televised; the remaining 2 games (7/22 & 8/12) will be on either FSM or ESPN.

I read the same article. However, the article does not pertain to U-Verse specifically. Essentially, all 162 Cardinal games will be available on television. That does not mean that if the contract problem between AT&T and Fox Sports Midwest from last year still remains, U-Verse will be able to televise all 150 Fox Sports Midwest Cardinal games.

I have yet to see an answer if the contract problem between AT&T and Fox Sports Midwest has been resolved.

Here is the 2/16 press release from the Cardinals's website.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120216&content_id=26709092&vkey=pr_stl&c_id=...

6 of 122 (2,936 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 19, 2012 11:37:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Fox Sports Midwest is reporting channels 748, 1748 on ATT Uverse on their website currently.

http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/pages/channelfinder/ :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

7 of 122 (2,916 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 19, 2012 12:17:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mibrnsurg wrote:

Fox Sports Midwest is reporting channels 748, 1748 on ATT Uverse on their website currently.

Chris

1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

Chris, the question asked is "will there be another blackout of 20 Cardinal games from Fox Sports Midwest on U-Verse this season like there was last season?" I have still not found any definitive answer to this question, and whether the dispute between AT&T and Fox Sports Midwest has been resolved.

No doubt at least 130 of the 150  of the Cardinal games on Fox Sports Midwest will be televised on U-Verse? What about the additional 20 that were blacked out last year?

8 of 122 (2,911 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 19, 2012 12:29:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dwinth wrote:

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

Chris, the question asked is "will there be another blackout of 20 Cardinal games from Fox Sports Midwest on U-Verse this season like there was last season?" I have still not found any definitive answer to this question, and whether the dispute between AT&T and Fox Sports Midwest has been resolved.

No doubt at least 130 of the 150  of the Cardinal games on Fox Sports Midwest will be televised on U-Verse? What about the additional 20 that were blacked out last year?

So, was FSM listing the channels on ATT Uverse last year when these problems were occuring?  Do you get these channels now?  If yes, why do you think they will blackout games this year?

There is no agreement between ATT and ST.Louis, just ATT w/FSM.  Cardinals games are on FSM and you should be able to watch all the games on FSM. :smileywink:

Chris

9 of 122 (2,906 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 19, 2012 1:51:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by texasguy37 on Feb 19, 2012 at 1:52:29 PM

mibrnsurg wrote:

So, was FSM listing the channels on ATT Uverse last year when these problems were occuring?  Do you get these channels now?  If yes, why do you think they will blackout games this year?

There is no agreement between ATT and ST.Louis, just ATT w/FSM.  Cardinals games are on FSM and you should be able to watch all the games on FSM. :smileywink:

You might want to read the thread below to familiarize yourself with what they are discussing in this thread.

http://forums.att.com/t5/TV-Programming/Uverse-could-black-out-up-to-20-Cardinals-games/m-p/2732739

[ Edited ]
10 of 122 (2,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 19, 2012 2:46:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

The issue is that last year, a number of games converted from broadcast tv to FSMW, and there was an existing contract,  Fox wanted to charge Uverse extra for those games, and Uverse wouldn't do it, so Fox blacked out 20 games (seemingly at random, since the broadcast games would have been Sunday afternoon games only, I think) in the St. Louis market.

The question is if there is a contract still in place that specifies a lower number of games than the 150 scheduled to be broadcast on FSMW, and if so, if the "overage" games will be blacked out again.

There was no question as to whether Uverse carries Fox Sports Midwest.  In fact, if they didn't, we wouldn't be having this conversation at all.

11 of 122 (2,942 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 23, 2012 5:27:31 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by ShaunMN on Feb 23, 2012 at 6:36:06 PM

I am planning on cancelling my Uverse package this year unless ATT can figure out a way to get all the Cardinals games aired this year.  They are currently planning on blacking out another 20 games this year according to Katie Nagus the ATT spokesperson.

I think everyone who is a Cards fan should raise some{word filter evasion} about this issue.

{post merged}

St. Louis Cardinals Black Out Games for 2012

[ Edited ]
12 of 122 (2,883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 23, 2012 5:30:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I thought black out rules were determined by MLB.  It would be in ATTs best interest to allow the networks to broadcast all the games that are played.  IMHO

Re: St. Louis Cardinals Black Out Games for 2012

13 of 122 (2,882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 23, 2012 5:38:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

ATT is in a dispute with Fox Sports Midwest over payment of these 20 games.  So technically I guess FSM is blacking them out to ATT customers but ATT needs to pay up and get the games on air.  Every other media outlet provies all 150 games on the FSM network to their customers.

14 of 122 (2,881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 23, 2012 5:41:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Maybe someone will be along to give you information on where/how to send your message directly to ATT.  This is the peer to peer forum for UV subs.

15 of 122 (2,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 23, 2012 5:42:43 PM
(0)
Scholar

Looks like this still isn't over:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/fsm-at-t-flap-over-cards-games-still-not-settle...

"The financial dispute between Fox Sports Midwest and AT&T that kept 20 of FSM’s 148 Cardinals telecasts off AT&T’s U-verse system last year has not been settled, so as it stands another 20 games are in line to be blacked out this season.

"We continue to talk with AT&T with the hope that they will choose to deliver all Cardinals telecasts to fans this season,’’ FSM spokesman Geoff Goldman said. "Every other provider in the St. Louis area will distribute all Cardinals games" this season.

AT&T spokesperson Katie Nagus said on Thursday that "we don’t have any updates to share at this time. U-verse TV customers will continue to have access to approximately 130 Cardinals games this season’’ on FSM.

"... We don’t believe AT&T and ultimately our customers should have to pay more for access to these (20) Cardinals games, especially while we’re trying to keep costs down for our customers.’’ "

16 of 122 (2,882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 23, 2012 5:55:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

bailorg wrote:

Looks like this still isn't over:

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/fsm-at-t-flap-over-cards-games-still-not-settle...

"The financial dispute between Fox Sports Midwest and AT&T that kept 20 of FSM’s 148 Cardinals telecasts off AT&T’s U-verse system last year has not been settled, so as it stands another 20 games are in line to be blacked out this season.

"We continue to talk with AT&T with the hope that they will choose to deliver all Cardinals telecasts to fans this season,’’ FSM spokesman Geoff Goldman said. "Every other provider in the St. Louis area will distribute all Cardinals games" this season.

AT&T spokesperson Katie Nagus said on Thursday that "we don’t have any updates to share at this time. U-verse TV customers will continue to have access to approximately 130 Cardinals games this season’’ on FSM.

"... We don’t believe AT&T and ultimately our customers should have to pay more for access to these (20) Cardinals games, especially while we’re trying to keep costs down for our customers.’’ "

At least we now know the answer from Dan Caesar's post this evening on stltoday.com. Someone needs to get on Cards Talk and post this information, too. There have been at least two threads there concerning this issue.

17 of 122 (2,875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 23, 2012 7:33:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I just posted about the article on Cards Talk at stltoday.com

18 of 122 (2,857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 24, 2012 7:21:03 AM
(0)
Contributor
This is horrible. I wil be a Direct TV customer by the end of summer if this continues. Every other provider has managed to pony up the dough, so ATT will get no more of mine if they can't fix this issue.

19 of 122 (2,830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 5, 2012 8:43:01 PM
(0)
Contributor

Last year AT&T and Fox Midwest were unable to settle a contract dispute and 20 Cardinal baseball games were omitted from the schedule.  I was told it was an effort to keep my rates low.

This month my rate have been increased by $3 a month due to programming costs.  I'd hoped this meant that AT&T, like every other TV service, would carry all the Cardinal games transmitted over Fox Sports Midwest, however I understand this dispute has still not been settled. 

If I am paying more and still not able to view all the Cardinal games, I guess I will have to move to Charter or Direct TV, both of which carried all the games last year and will again in 2012.  We learned last year that every single game can be important.  I don't plan to miss any this year with or without AT&T Uverse.

Cardinal Baseball

20 of 122 (2,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 7, 2012 9:22:32 PM
(0)
Scholar

U has turned imto a corporate first service. The 20 games is a drop in the bucket. Switch service. Voting with your dollars is the only way to go.o

Re: Cardinal Baseball

21 of 122 (2,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 8, 2012 4:54:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dian1950 wrote:

U has turned imto a corporate first service. The 20 games is a drop in the bucket. Switch service. Voting with your dollars is the only way to go.o

Do you intend to follow your own advice, and switch services?  As you say, 20 games is a drop in the bucket, so I have no intention of switching services. for just 20 games. And believe me, I am just as big of a Cardinal fan as anyone.

22 of 122 (2,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 9, 2012 9:38:44 AM
(0)
Contributor
I don't know who to believe. I called UVERSE and was told they would not confirm any games will be shown, and Charter told me they were scheduled to show only 40! Direct TV said they are showing all of them.

23 of 122 (2,426 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 9, 2012 11:54:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

jdmhamom wrote:
I don't know who to believe. I called UVERSE and was told they would not confirm any games will be shown, and Charter told me they were scheduled to show only 40! Direct TV said they are showing all of them.

As of today, U-Verse will show all Cardinal games that are on the Fox Saturday Game of the Week that would normally be seen in St. Louis, all Cardinal games that are on ESPN that would normally be seen in St. Louis, and all games that would be seen in St. Louis on Fox Sports Midwest other than the 20 games that are in the contract dispute.

If the contract dispute between AT&T and Fox Sports Midwest is fixed, then you would be able to see all 162 Cardinal games on television, not 142 Cardinal games.

24 of 122 (2,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 17, 2012 6:22:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by dwinth on Mar 17, 2012 at 6:24:07 PM

With the start of the Cardinal's regular season starting in  two and a half weeks, has Fox Sports Midwest released a list of the twenty games it will be blacking out on U-Verse? I would imagine that the list will not be released until the actual start of the season in order to give time for a possible solution to the conflict between AT&T and Fox Sports Midwest.

[ Edited ]
25 of 122 (2,350 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 18, 2012 8:51:10 AM
(0)
Scholar

dwinth wrote:

dian1950 wrote:

Do you intend to follow your own advice, and switch services?  As you say, 20 games is a drop in the bucket, so I have no intention of switching services. for just 20 games. And believe me, I am just as big of a Cardinal fan as anyone.

I don't live in St.Louis but if U was the only service in the Chicago market not broadcasting a set of Cub or Sox games, the YES i would switch immediately

26 of 122 (2,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 18, 2012 9:04:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dian1950 wrote:

dwinth wrote:

dian1950 wrote:

I don't live in St.Louis but if U was the only service in the Chicago market not broadcasting a set of Cub or Sox games, the YES i would switch immediately

I have never seen a positive post on your part about U-Verse in any thread that you have contributed to. All of your posts seem to be very negative, and you even urge others to switch providers. Why are you still a U-Verse subscriber if the service is that bad? I know if I was so down on something that I subscirbe to as you appear to be,  I would switch providers immediately.

27 of 122 (2,338 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 18, 2012 9:30:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dian1950 wrote:

Since, per your message below, you have switched to DirecTV or Comcast because U-verse has not added back the Hallmark Channel, why do you continue to post your negative messages on the forum?

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Post-about-the-Hallmark-channel-here/m-p/2650743#M63975

28 of 122 (2,331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2012 5:11:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by dwinth on Mar 30, 2012 at 5:14:37 AM

In today's St. Louis Post-Dispatch and on it's web site stltoday.com, sports media columnist, Dan Caesar, revealed the list of the twenty Cardinal games that will be blocked out this season on U-Verse by Fox Sports Midwest.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/dan-caesar/cardinals-games-blacked-out-on-at-t-u-verse/articl...

[ Edited ]
29 of 122 (2,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2012 7:00:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

Another year of missing key games (cards, brewers) through August. I am not sticking around for another year of it!

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/dan-caesar/cardinals-games-blacked-out-on-at-t-u-verse/articl... 

Mar 30, 2012: UVERSE BLACKING OUT GAMES AGAIN - Deadline Apr9

30 of 122 (2,211 Views)