Posted Jul 6, 2010
9:33:32 AM
HELP - Windows-7 Remote Desktop Connection

I was able to successfully set up Remote Desktop Connection so it works WITHIN my home LAN, but when I attempt to initiate a connection OUTSIDE of my home LAN from my Work-PC to my Home-PC it fails (cannot find the PC on the network, etc.).

FROM (Work) PC

Windows-7 Home Premium

TO (Home) PC

Windows-7 Professional w/ Remote Access enabled to my account

U-verse 3800HGV-B Gateway w/ XP Remote Desktop and XP Remote Assistant applications fowarded.

And no, I do not want to just go use LogMeIn or some other 3rd party software solution.

What do I need to do to get this to work?

HELP - Windows-7 Remote Desktop Connection

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2010 9:41:03 AM
(0)
Scholar

Double check in and around the options for the Remote connections on the PC you are trying to access.  Over the years, there has been a default setting that limits connections to those coming from the local LAN.

If you wish to connect from other networks, you have typically had to reduce the security settings to do so.  I believe in all MSFT systems this setting was in the Windows Firewall options.  See if that might be your issue.

If you are using other security products and software firewalls, many of those have similar options which will limit inbound connections to your PC.

Re: HELP - Windows-7 Remote Desktop Connection

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2010 4:10:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

Ok, so I double-checked the U-verse 3800HGV-B Gateway settings (i.e. XP Remote Desktop & XP Remote Assistant specifically forwarded, though I have deduced these are unncessary for intranet RDC to work), verified that Windows-7 Remote Access settings are correct with no specific setting found for LAN vs. non-LAN access restrictions, and my anti-virus software Firewall settings explicitly allow Remote Desktop Connection.

Not sure what else to look at or for.

Any suggestions anyone?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2010 5:05:29 PM
(0)
Scholar

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2012 9:30:04 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just went through this process successfully, so here's the story cradle-to-success:

My purpose was to be able to use my shiny new Microsoft Surface (which I love already) to access apps it can't run because of its odd CPU architecture on my home box (running Win 7 Pro - none of this works on Home Edition).

1. First step was to make sure it connected from inside my home network.

a. the home box needed remote access enabled - a check box at Control Panel -> System -> Remote Settings -> Allow Remote Assistance

b. The Surface has an app called 'mstsc' that runs not on the Win 8 launcher, but from the normal desktop underneath.

c. running that while connected on my ATT home network just needed the computer's name.

Then, the fun began - access from the rest of the world.

2. Fix the IP address.  The IP address of my home box can change, and the Surface needs some place to look for it. Several vendors provide a free version of fixed IP addresses - I used no-ip.com.

a. fumbling through the weeds and avoiding all offers to pay money, it finally allocated to me a domain name - let-s call it 'fred.zapto.org'.  This will always map to a fixed IP address - something like 99.xxx.yyy.zzz.

b. I installed their app called DUC-3.0 whose job is to report the current IP address of my home box periodically.

3. Configure the ATT router.  For this, you need the router's local URL (mine was 192.168.1.254) and the system password - both are written on the router box itself.

a. on any computer on the home network, point a browser to the router's URL.  THis shows you a listing of all the devices with two links for each.

b. Choose Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes etc.  This shows you a list of the stuff on your home network.

c. choose the computer to host remote access.  This gives you the choice to add a new user defined application

d.  Select that link and fill in the stuff as follows:

Give it a name  - something clever like 'Remote Desktop'

Protocol is TCP

Port range from 3389 to 3390

Timeout - use the default

Application type - leave as '-'

Select 'add to list' and save

e. [a step not clear in the directions I used] select your new all on the appliactions list and click 'Add' to enable it.

f.  Enter the system password off your router box

4.  'And thar she blows' - on the surface, run the mstsc app giving it the URL 'fred.zapto.org', and i a stunningly short time, it asks for my home computer login, and we're in ....

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2012 11:26:06 AM
(0)
Professor
Instead of using Remote Desktop connection that comes with Windows, download Teamviewer. It is more secure, and gives you more options that RDC does.

We use it on all of our computers, and idevices for remote management of our units.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2012 1:58:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I don't know on what basis you say that it is more secure.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2012 2:23:24 PM
(0)
Professor
Windows Remote Desktop Connection has always been inherently buggy since the day it came out, along with having security issues. Also Teamviewer can be used through different operating systems, whereas RDC is only Windows based.

Personally I would choose Teamviewer over RDC any day. Trouble free, and more secure as I have already stated.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2012 2:59:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Buggy applies to reliability, not security.  RDP has had some security issues, but the most recent versions appear to be acceptably secure and don't require you to trust a third party software provider.

I was hoping for a more substantial answer.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2012 4:22:10 PM
(0)
Professor

The answer is in the facts. RDP Is still as non-secure as the day it came out. Teamviewer is secure, multi-platform available, compared to RDP, which is a single platform software.

Every machine that I maintain has RDP disabled, and Teamviewer installed, because it is more reliable than RDP.

Sorry if your are single sided Jeffer, but personally I am sticking with Teamviewer as a way of accessing multiple OS platforms, because that is what I support. Not just Windows, but also Linux, Mac OS, Android also.

Just for your info, here is a recent article regarding the still inherent risks with RDP  http://blog.cyberoam.com/2012/12/eliminate-remote-desktop-protocol-rdp-security-risks-using-cyberoam...

Another article regarding RDP http://www.anitian.com/article_RDP.html

There are more articles out there on the security risks regarding RDP, than there is regarding Teamviewer.  Maybe if you took the time to look into this stuff, than state that your decision that RDP is secure, is as invalid as stating that McDonald's is fine dining.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2012 6:14:33 PM
(0)
Expert
And Greg, maybe if you took the time to actually know the ins-and-outs of things, you wouldn't be spreading false statements.

The statement that "RDP is still as non-secure as the day it came out" is complete nonsense.

RDP used to use it's own proprietary authentication mechanism in Windows 2000 and XP. This proprietary mechanism was rife with security problems and holes for exploits.

Ever since the release of RDP with Windows Vista (v6.0), RDP uses NTLM authentication, which is the same as the authentication between client workstations and Windows servers. This authentication is as secure as other challenge-handshake protocols like CHAP or SSL.

In addition, on Windows Vista and Server 2008 and higher, RDP can be enforced to use TLS rather than the proprietary encryption, giving it the same security as SSL.

Now, in terms of what protocols and ports to allow into your corporate network from the Internet, that is a separate issue. I have never been a fan of allowing an open port that isn't necessary. Since RDP is not a public service, the only people who would need access to it are the employees of the company, which could easily be issued VPN access. Thus, I enforce a policy of making employees bring up a VPN connection first, then use RDP. This way, port 3389 doesn't have to be open on the firewall.

In addition, there is an advantage to RDP that no other remote access solutions has, including VMware client, TeamViewer, LogMeIn, and VNC. RDP is the fastest remote desktop protocol available, with the lowest latency. If you need to do a lot of remote work, it's far more comfortable to do it on an RDP connection than anything else.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2012 6:50:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm super impressed by the OP's diligence.  But, while it's satisfying to meet a challenge head on and win, I think, when the time comes, I'll just go ahead and purchase a tablet that runs full-blown Windows 8 Pro which, in turn, will run other MS compatible programs that I might desire.  At least I'll avoid the massive headache that jumping through all these hoops would give me.Smiley winks.gif

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 30, 2012 10:41:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

gregzoll_1 wrote:

Sorry if your are single sided Jeffer, but personally I am sticking with Teamviewer as a way of accessing multiple OS platforms, because that is what I support. Not just Windows, but also Linux, Mac OS, Android also.

Um, who is being single-sided?  I just asked you to offer evidence as to why Teamviewer was more secure than RDP and, even with these links, you've still failed to do so.  I made no statement that RDP was secure.  I only objected to your (still unsubstantiated) sweeping statement that Teamviewer was more secure than RDP.

Do I allow RDP into my home network?  No.

Do we allow RDP directly through our firewall into our corporate network?  No.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 17, 2013 4:24:44 AM
(0)
Contributor
You need to use 3rd party remote support tools such VPN, or gosupportnow, GoToMyPC etc. as you wish to establish remote connection outside your LAN. You can use Microsoft default RDC tool only if all computers are on same network or LAN. If computers are on different networks or LANS, you need to use the above mentioned tools or can even consider deploying on premise remote support appliance such as Bomgar or RHUB appliances.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 18, 2013 11:31:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Oh, really?

I use RDP to manage computers in other LAN's every day.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 19, 2013 4:31:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

rickyaliasgar wrote:
You need to use 3rd party remote support tools such VPN, or gosupportnow, GoToMyPC etc. as you wish to establish remote connection outside your LAN. You can use Microsoft default RDC tool only if all computers are on same network or LAN. If computers are on different networks or LANS, you need to use the above mentioned tools or can even consider deploying on premise remote support appliance such as Bomgar or RHUB appliances.

That is totally incorrect.  I work technical support for a software company and we use LogMeIn Rescue 99% of the time.  However last week I was trying to remote into someone computer that was on a terminal server and it wouldn't work.  I was able to use RDP to login to their network and fix what I needed to fix. 

At home I have used RDP to log into my mom's computer and help he with an issue.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 2, 2013 11:58:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

As a tech who uses Teamviewer and RDP among other 3rd party remote tools I promise you that RDP is MUCH MUCH better than any of them. Depending on your internet connection, you can RDP into another computer and completely forget that you are actually on a remote computer. It is that fluid. However with the thrid party tools you are frequently met with lag no matter how great your internet connection is. We use both VNC and Teamviewer at my work. Speedtest.net shows 70mbps on our DL speed and 12 up and VNC and teamviewer WITHIN network still has a bit of lag. However I can RDP and like I said before forget that I have RDP'ed. The third party tools has it's uses if you need access right away if you do not have access to make the proper configurations. But if you have the means then I highly recommend using RDP if you want the best performance.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 3, 2013 4:03:22 PM
(0)
Expert

D_in_FL wrote:

As a tech who uses Teamviewer and RDP among other 3rd party remote tools I promise you that RDP is MUCH MUCH better than any of them. Depending on your internet connection, you can RDP into another computer and completely forget that you are actually on a remote computer. It is that fluid. However with the thrid party tools you are frequently met with lag no matter how great your internet connection is. We use both VNC and Teamviewer at my work. Speedtest.net shows 70mbps on our DL speed and 12 up and VNC and teamviewer WITHIN network still has a bit of lag. However I can RDP and like I said before forget that I have RDP'ed. The third party tools has it's uses if you need access right away if you do not have access to make the proper configurations. But if you have the means then I highly recommend using RDP if you want the best performance.

Totally seconded.

RDP rules over every other remote desktop program.  Even when the latency is high such that other remote desktop programs have horrible lag, RDP almost always feels like your right in front of the machine.

IMO, lowest latency feel of the various remote desktop programs falls in roughly this order, from fastest to slowest:

1. RDP
  2. VMware vSphere client (VM has VMware Tools installed)
  3. TeamViewer
  4. LogMeIn
  5. VNC
  6. VMware vSphere client (VM does not have VMware Tools installed)