08-04-2012 07:42:44 AM - edited 08-04-2012 08:02:26 AM
So for the past 2 months or so I have been getting Intermittent High Latency, which also interrupted my OnDemand. A couple weeks back we had a technician come out and he replaced my gateway and one of my DVRs. However the problem persisted. So I began to investigate online and found the UV Realtime tool.
Here are the screenshots from the tool while there is normal latency:
Here are the screenshots from the tool while there is high latency:
Here is a screenshot of the Interfaces when I had normal latency while downloading at my maximum bandwidth:
Here is a screenshot that I took from a Network Latency monitoring tool that I ran for about 13 hours at a 60 second interval:
The only thing I can tell is that under high latency the Interface tab shows a considerable change. I called AT&T a second time and the technician rechecked all my terminations and connections. Then he ran their network tool. Then he went and connected me to a better port at the first hop router.
Unfortunately this still hasn't fixed my problem as it continues to persist. So before I call AT&T a thrid time I was wondering if anyone can tell me what it could be. I have check all my PC's on my network for viruses etc. I am not using any Peer to Peer software, etc. As I said this also interferes with my TV.
I had been using AT&T uverse for many months with no issues. Also there has been no changes made to my network since before or after the issue began.
Thanks for any help.
[removed images containing IP and MAC addresses]
08-04-2012 09:29:19 AM
You need to look at the computers on your network and determine what computer and what application is transferring data outbound during these periods. Look for Bittorrent, Mozy/Carbonite online backups, etc.
If you find this computer/application, see if you can configure the program to transfer this data at a limited rate. In Bittorrent, you can specifiy to allow only a certain amount of bandwidth. It is recommended that you configure it to use no more than 2/3rds of your outbound bandwidth. Since you have 1 Mbps outbound, configure Bittorrent (or what ever application you have) for a maximum of about 650 kbps.
08-04-2012 09:52:06 AM - edited 08-04-2012 09:53:31 AM
I shut down everything. No Torrenting, no streaming, no backup software. The issue persists. I have full control of my network. And have been monitoring it extensively.
08-04-2012 10:50:52 AM