Posted Aug 12, 2013
9:04:04 PM
Just installed 2wire RG for Uverse

They were suppose to send a motorola NVG589, but were out of stock, gotta call tech support tomorrow to get an order in. But in the meantime triing to get the 2wire working. 

Most of the install went smooth, had regular DSL before, basically disconnect that plugged the pc straight to the 2wire, got it working, and then plugged my wireless router into the 2wire and everything worked (well most). I have a switch off the router. it looks like the devices off the switch are not being seen. Any ideas why or what I can do to fix it. 

Also I assume it worth it to press for the motorola RG. 

Just installed 2wire RG for Uverse

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 12, 2013 10:02:45 PM
(0)
Employee
Did you buy (shipped to your address RG?)What RG do you have? was this a full tech tech install?, do you have TVs?

If this was a switch from DSL to uverse on a VDSL circuit your choices for RG are the 3600 or Pace NVG 5031
These are bought unit $100 with a one year warranty. Shipped CSI choice ("they were suppose to send")

The nvg589 is a leased ($6/month) and would require TV service AND a FULL TECH install

Unless you have bundle service of TV and internet there is no pressing, recommend 5031 (black) over 3600 (grey).
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Just installed 2wire RG for Uverse

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 13, 2013 9:08:32 PM
(0)
Teacher

Was charged $100 so yes bought they delivered a 2wire 3600HGV. Which is pretty old tech, if I am buying I want newer tech. Was told at the store and from Online chat that the Motorola NVG589 would be what I should get, and if not, call and they will replace (which it seems they are willing to do) could not when I called as it was the day before the install and they could not add an order. 

Yes customer install 12Mb package, Voice and Internet only. 

So if they send the Motorola I can not just swap it with the 2wire? They still don't offer a RG with N wifi? 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 13, 2013 9:53:00 PM
(0)
Teacher

Just got UV realtime running, 

How do these look. 

Stats-2013-08-14-00-49-22.png

ErrorTable-2013-08-14-00-50-06.png

Bitloading-2013-08-14-00-50-13.png

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 13, 2013 11:08:35 PM
(0)
Employee
Where to start....
1) HSIA and VOIP only are 3600 (less than 2200 feet b/g wireless), the 5031 longer loop b/g/n wireless
Your distance and profile recommend 5031.
2) if desire faster internet speed (18 or 24) would be an iNID or 589, both are full tech installs ($149) with a $6/month lease fee of RG
3) your noise margin is extremely low, and you have a bridge tap.
Removing the bridge tap will shorten the distance and improve noise margin.

So what does remove bridge tap mean ... there is a point where the line splits inside or outside your home.
If inside NID to RG direct connect ideal by cat5 cable, if just plugged into an old phone jack that is probably issue.
Needs rewired, new jack doesn't hurt
If issue is outside need a tech dispatched.....so what to do?
If feel comfortable try rewiring first, if not call 1-800-288-2020 for a tech visit, if outside problem solved no cost, if inside will be billed $99 for tech visit.

Now about 3600 RG, on call request a 5031 will be billed another $100, once received swap and send 3600 back for credit.
If during tech visit, they could sell you the 5031 off their truck but you still have to ship original back for credit.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 14, 2013 4:44:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

Ok, can follow all that. Well almost all. RG is hooked to phone lines. House built in 1975. Phone wiring is a mess. 

Wire from box in back yard goes straight inside house to block (that's my term) where all the lines split off (no NID). Problem is its in a corner buried with electrical lines blocking access. So even if issue is inside since I have no phone jack outside, AT&T pay to diagnose and fix all the lines. So could call in service, but I would rather do it myself. 

Just went down and looked in the corner, yes have bridge taps. Here is picture of the "block" IMG_20130814_192929_122.jpg

I will remove all the lines except the one that runs to the RG. I can put in better wire, just need to know what. Do they sell a Cat5 with a spade connector on the end? (I guess I could just clip the end and strip it myself no biggie) 

The main problem I don't get. My old Wifi router is connected and all the wifi is working fine so is the wired connections to that. But I have a switch connected straight to the RG and nothing connected to it shows up. Paint me confused. how do I get the RG to see it. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 14, 2013 6:40:47 PM
(0)
Employee
So lets start at the beginning, when tech did CSI, did tech install a new NID on outside of home and connect to IW by using old drop (you would not have been home,tech would have had no access to IW. If yes then run your cat5 cable from new NID to RG. If no...
Call and request tech visit for new drop (your current quad red,green,yellow,black is NOT acceptable. If this is a buried drop to ped (serving terminal) tech will need to run new cable, install a NID with new ground wire and verify sync. None of this work is billable and should have been originally at time of CSI.
Additionally tech should run a test of outside lines to verify no issues,if outside tap tech needs to create helper ticket.

If you can have the new IW cat5 cable installed tech will attach at NID (NC), and if me I would verify sync at jack (not required if not billing).
Between new drop and new homerun feed to RG your line should cleanup.

Now for 2nd question, if you attach one of devices directly to RG lan port does it work?
Is your switch attached to lan (yellow) port on back of RG, is the data light on RG flashing when connected.
Have you tried moving switch to different lan ports ?

Hope this helps shape some thoughts

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 14, 2013 7:34:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

ok, now the only lines coming off the block are the Green and red that lead to my RG. 

Numbers look better but loading looks the same. 

Bitloading-2013-08-14-22-28-50.png

ErrorTable-2013-08-14-22-29-31.png

Stats-2013-08-14-22-23-05.png

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 14, 2013 7:55:17 PM
(0)
Employee
Amazing just removing some extra wiring
Max rate available went up 12M
Noise margin more than doubled from min 9 to 18.5
Your est. Loop length dropped 1600 feet.

For your current profile should run fine
but i would still recommend previous work suggested to be completed and request te 5031 RG for wireless N and better stability
Especially if ever desire faster internet speeds or tv service work would need to be done.

Good job in what has been accomplished, keep us up to date as you go forward. Thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 14, 2013 8:20:53 PM
(0)
Teacher

Missed this reply. 

To late to go look outside, but no one saw anyone working outside Monday. Yes lines are buried up to house. Green "phone box (about 8x8 and 3ft tall) is in backyard". 

Sounds like I need to call and request new drop. Buy and install a IW cat5 line from where RG is to where they will put the NID outside, (not sure how I will know that ahead of time.)  

They will come and dig up lawn and flower gardens to run line from the green box thing to the side of house to install NID. I will connect cat 5 (or they can if I get it installed ahead of time??) While they do this, I will not have internet cause i assume they will disconnect my line. 

Is this worth it? what will I gain? See new numbers above. 

2nd topic. 

Switch is in basement, devices down there really cant run to RG. NAD might reach will try. Yes Switch is attached to a lan port on back of RB. Yes all lights flashing. Yes tried different ports. Odd thing, had switch connected to old router (and using dsl it worked) switch to uverse (plugged router in to RG) router and pc's connected worked, but things on switch did not. Hook switch directly to RG still does not seem to be found. 

Honestly at this point, I am not sure what is going on or how anything is working. I expected my old router not to work, cause I thought you could not have a router going into the RG, only switches. Just plugged the NAT into the RG, still cant seem to find it. But maybe thats cause my wireless is going to the router and not the RG which the NAT is plugged into???? Maybe I will plug the NAT directly into my router and see what happens. well I did that, it sort of show up on my computer but I can not access it. To late, i am tired, will begin again tomorrow night. 

Just did a bit of looking at cascading routers... should the RG's IP address end in 254? Im lost, well it least most things are working (the stuff important to the wife and kids anyhow) 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 14, 2013 9:18:11 PM
(0)
Employee
The buried drop should come in near electric power meter, the NID generally is mounted next to meter or that area.
The old drop is removed coming into house, that opening is used to feed cat5 homerun and ground wire if to be attached inside.
If buying cable i believe Radio Shack has indoor/outdoor cable 50 ft for about $20.

You are correct that your services will be down will installing and updating.
Is it worth it, you are barely marginally for 18M internet on 25 Profile, as new speeds become available,
if you desire to use these services the updates will be needed,better to do now and be prepared.
Your bit loading has already improved by removing tap (no big dip around 400)
But still have big gap n download stream before reaching upload stream (green)
For an example of clean bitloading at 1900 feet just 100 shorter than yours how do you think you compare.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28556249-u-verse-install-stuck-on-25-2-profile-can-i-support-32-5
For burying the cable an outside company has a machine i believe the cut strip is about 4 inches wide.

Your second question may be better answered by somejoe7777, jeffermc or others on here more network experienced.