Posted Mar 24, 2011
9:25:58 AM
MLB Blackouts

I live in NC, and I understand why the games in my area are blacked out (although Cincinnati is in "my area" - really?).  But, I specifically signed up for the HD Premium package so I could get FSNP and FSNW so I could watch the LA Dodger games. Last time I checked, LA is about 3000 miles away from North Carolina, and yet each time I have tried to watch a pre-season game, it has been blacked out. Ugh! Help!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 24, 2011 9:58:19 AM
(0)
Guru

MLB sets the "blackout" rules, not AT&T. You live in the Cincinnati Reds team territory, not the Dodgers. (I know, hard to believe their territory is that large).  You can not see the Dodges unless you "pay for the rights" from MLB via MLB Extra Innings.  UV doesn't offer Professional sports subscriptions at this time. So, you'll be stuck with those teams where you are "eligible" to see the games.  You might be able to see the Orioles and perhaps the Braves (on TBS or Peachtree).. but the Dodgers isn't happening.

On all of the "out of market" regional sports networks, all you will see is the "talking heads" shows, college sports (which some- very few- have blackout rules too) and other generic shows. Once professional sports (any league), you will see the "Game is blacked out out in your area" or whatever it says.

Accepted Solution

MLB Blackouts

36 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(36)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Mar 24, 2011 9:58:19 AM
(0)
Guru

MLB sets the "blackout" rules, not AT&T. You live in the Cincinnati Reds team territory, not the Dodgers. (I know, hard to believe their territory is that large).  You can not see the Dodges unless you "pay for the rights" from MLB via MLB Extra Innings.  UV doesn't offer Professional sports subscriptions at this time. So, you'll be stuck with those teams where you are "eligible" to see the games.  You might be able to see the Orioles and perhaps the Braves (on TBS or Peachtree).. but the Dodgers isn't happening.

On all of the "out of market" regional sports networks, all you will see is the "talking heads" shows, college sports (which some- very few- have blackout rules too) and other generic shows. Once professional sports (any league), you will see the "Game is blacked out out in your area" or whatever it says.

Re: MLB Blackouts

Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 24, 2011 10:40:10 AM
(0)
Professor

Dead_Terrorist wrote:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/59/MLB_Blackout_Areas.png/776px-MLB_Blackout_A...

That map shows the various regions.  EVERY part of the country is "some team's" region.  In many cases, it could be a 4-5 hour drive, if not more, to the stadium of the "local" team.  (There is a SMALL, I mean SMALL, portion of the country that is the territory for no team.)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 24, 2011 10:43:40 AM
(0)
Professor

NCDodgerGirl wrote:

I live in NC, and I understand why the games in my area are blacked out (although Cincinnati is in "my area" - really?).  But, I specifically signed up for the HD Premium package so I could get FSNP and FSNW so I could watch the LA Dodger games. Last time I checked, LA is about 3000 miles away from North Carolina, and yet each time I have tried to watch a pre-season game, it has been blacked out. Ugh! Help!

You understand why the games are blacked out, yet don't understand why a game from 3,000 miles away isn't available?  That's the prime definition of blackout.

As already said, games not in your area are blacked out.  You may want to consider a subscription to MLB.tv, a Roku device, or the MLB At Bat app for iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad.  There are other ways to watch it as well.

There are ways to watch TV programming that don't tie you to your couch.  You can actually watch the game on the bus, in a hotel room far away, or even at the beach.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2011 1:02:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

I've read the MLB blackout policy on thier web site.  It never mentions anything about being blacked out of games for out of market teams except on weekends.  So, I'm not sure where you are getting your information.  I just got off the phone with MLB and they did not mention it.  So, ATT needs to explain why those who pay for the Premium HD package are getting blacked out.  My general option is that ATT customer support has no idea.  They have these canned responses about MLB blackouts and don't even try to understand the issue is.  ATT customer support told me to call FOX Sports!  Everybody is passing the buck!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2011 1:04:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Can you post the link to this policy that you read?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2011 1:56:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dsharp63 wrote:

I've read the MLB blackout policy on thier web site.  It never mentions anything about being blacked out of games for out of market teams except on weekends.  So, I'm not sure where you are getting your information.  I just got off the phone with MLB and they did not mention it.  So, ATT needs to explain why those who pay for the Premium HD package are getting blacked out.  My general option is that ATT customer support has no idea.  They have these canned responses about MLB blackouts and don't even try to understand the issue is.  ATT customer support told me to call FOX Sports!  Everybody is passing the buck!

Not sure what you were reading, but unless you are in a home teams territory, the games will be blacked out.  It's been like this for many, many years.  The only league that has a different blackout rules is the NFL, and that is based on home team attendance. If a game is not sold out in the NFL, the game is blacked out locally, but not nationally.

MLB Blackout rules

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2011 2:34:17 PM
(0)
Mentor

dsharp63 wrote:

On MLB website they mean nationally televised games on saturday on FOX from 4:05 to 7:05 , and Sunday evening game on Espn will be blacked  out to Mlb tv  or mlb extra innings subscribers. Your Only option right now on uverse since uverse does not carry mlb extra innings is to subscribe to MLB TV if you want to watch out of market games. If you have any more black out questions feel free to ask as a lot of us have purchased Mlb tv and can tell you how blackouts work. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 6, 2011 7:36:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

Go to the link you posted (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/faq_subscriptions.jsp#q10).  In regard to regular season games, it only talks about local (in market) games being blacked out on MLB TV and MLB.com.  It doesn't even mention out of market games broadcast on channels like FOX Sports.  I have a number of friends who get the different FOX sports channel via direct TV and they can can watch any out of market game they want.  There are no blackouts.

I also called the MLB 866-800-1275 and was told that out of market games on the FOX sports channels (and others) should not be blacked out.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 6, 2011 7:47:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dsharp63 wrote:

Go to the link you posted (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/faq_subscriptions.jsp#q10).  In regard to regular season games, it only talks about local (in market) games being blacked out on MLB TV and MLB.com.  It doesn't even mention out of market games broadcast on channels like FOX Sports.  I have a number of friends who get the different FOX sports channel via direct TV and they can can watch any out of market game they want.  There are no blackouts.

I also called the MLB 866-800-1275 and was told that out of market games on the FOX sports channels (and others) should not be blacked out.

How does that comment reconcile with the fact that the purchase of the MLB Extra Innings package is required in order to watch out of market games?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 7, 2011 11:19:38 AM
(0)
Professor

dsharp63 wrote:

I'm not 100% sure on this, but it is QUITE possible that IF someone has DirecTV and MLB Extra Innings, that the game would be on the Extra Innings channel as well as NOT blacked out on the regional channel.

For example, I live in Ohio. If I had DirecTV with MLB Extra Innings AND the Sports Pack, and wanted to watch the Seattle @ LA game, i could watch the pregame show on either Root Sports Northwest or FS PrimeTicket (or FS West), whichever one had the pregame show.

Once the game started, Extra Innings would be active.  I could switch to the MLB EI channel -OR- quite possibly, keep it on Root Sports.

However, that's only if my assumption is true.  I would need the following setup:

1) A pay-TV provider with access to out-of-market regional channels AND MLB Extra Innings

2) MLB Extra Innings to give me live access to the other games

3) The package with the out-of-market regional channels

DirecTV is not giving them the live games without them subscribing to Extra Innings.

For now, U-Verse subscribers must subscribe to something like Roku or MLB.TV if they want to see live games that are not available in their region (as defined by MLB) or on ESPN, MLB Network, or broadcast over-the-air.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 25, 2011 8:54:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

Nothing in the MLB blackout rules,  that I have read, says you have to subscribe to MLB TV to be able to see out of market ballgames.  I guess if you keep saying it you'll make it so.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 25, 2011 9:03:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dsharp63 wrote:

Nothing in the MLB blackout rules,  that I have read, says you have to subscribe to MLB TV to be able to see out of market ballgames.  I guess if you keep saying it you'll make it so.

Without continuing to say it, it is so.  You will only receive the out of market games that are broadcast on local or regional TV by purchasing MLB Extra Innings, which U-verse does not offer, or subscribing to the MLB.TV online service.  Otherwise, why would there be a need for those packages to even exist?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 26, 2011 10:01:51 AM
(0)
Guru

From "InDemand"'s web site:

Q: WHAT ARE BLACKOUTS?
A: Blackouts are regional television restrictions distributed in order to protect the local television rights' holder broadcasting the game. Blackout restrictions are based on the home team's television territory as defined by Major League Baseball.

Q: WHAT ARE THE LOCAL BROADCAST RIGHTS/RESTRICTIONS?
A: If you live in a zip code area that falls within an MLB team's home television territory, that team's games will be blacked-out from MLB EXTRA INNINGS. These games will generally be available on that team's RSN or team affiliated OTA station. Blackouts protect the local rights-holders who arrange separate distribution agreements for their exclusive territories.

"InDemand/MLB Extra Innings" is the carrier of MLB out-of-market games on MOST cable systems.  Simply put, if you live "OUT OF MARKET" i.e., not in that team's local area, the game is NOT available to you unless you pay a PREMIUM for a service such as "MLB Extra Innings".  I challenge you to find me a non-local game being shown in an out of market environment.  In other words, show me a cable or satellite provider that is showing a game that does not involve a LOCAL AREA team, other than ESPN or FOX on designated days/Times.  It's not there, because it does not exist.  That is the reason for MLB Extra Innings package (and it's associated cost) and MLB.TV (and IT'S associated cost).  That, my friend, is just the way it is, no matter how much you/we may not like it.  It's all about the "Benjamins"!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 26, 2011 11:49:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

Some of the issues with baseball games not being covered in your area are not 100% related to major league baseball (MLB), but 100% related to AT&T. While I have been an AT&T Uverse subscriber for over two years, and very happy with all of their services compared to Charter, this year has been extremely frustrating as a St. Louis Cardinal's fan.  Last year every game was broadcast, and if you live anywhere around the area you know that St. Louis is a baseball town. But when Fox Sports Midwest or other Fox Sports affiliates raise the rates to charge the Internet service providers and cable providers to broadcast the games, AT&T balked at the prices. For the last four weeks we've had no games on Sunday!!

We also missed two out of three from the Philly series, and there is no explanation except for the fact that AT&T was trying to cut costs. I've enclosed a link that you might find useful, because besides St. Louis it may apply to where you live. I'm already paying roughly $260 a month on cable/Internet/phone but do not have at least 40 games covered is ridiculous! Here is the link:

http://thecardinalnationblog.com/2011/05/03/some-seeking-relief-from-att-u-verse-on-missing-cardina...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 26, 2011 12:07:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Albert Pujols wrote:

Some of the issues with baseball games not being covered in your area are not 100% related to major league baseball (MLB), but 100% related to AT&T. While I have been an AT&T Uverse subscriber for over two years, and very happy with all of their services compared to Charter, this year has been extremely frustrating as a St. Louis Cardinal's fan.  Last year every game was broadcast, and if you live anywhere around the area you know that St. Louis is a baseball town. But when Fox Sports Midwest or other Fox Sports affiliates raise the rates to charge the Internet service providers and cable providers to broadcast the games, AT&T balked at the prices. For the last four weeks we've had no games on Sunday!!

We also missed two out of three from the Philly series, and there is no explanation except for the fact that AT&T was trying to cut costs. I've enclosed a link that you might find useful, because besides St. Louis it may apply to where you live. I'm already paying roughly $260 a month on cable/Internet/phone but do not have at least 40 games covered is ridiculous! Here is the link:

http://thecardinalnationblog.com/2011/05/03/some-seeking-relief-from-att-u-verse-on-missing-cardina...

The dispute between AT&T and FSMW resulting in 20 of the 152 Cardinal games not being shown this season has nothing to do with the MLB Blackout policies which is the topic being discussed in this thread.  You can find that topic discussed in the thread found in the link below:

http://forums.att.com/t5/TV-Programming/Uverse-could-black-out-up-to-20-Cardinals-games/td-p/2732739

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 28, 2011 2:36:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dsharp63 wrote:

MLB Broadcast Map

Since you cannot or will not do your own research.  That map will show you where you can recieve specific teams broad cast.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2012 8:05:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

I understand fromTexas Guy that if I'm not happy I can change cable providers, gee that never occured to my feeble little mind! We switched from Time Warner two years and have been very happy with u-verse but unhappy with the Braves blackouts. After numerous calls to customer service to complain, I was told there would only be 25 not 45 games subject to blackouts. Obviously they were misinformed and should know better before passing information to subscribers. Since it does no good to complain to ATT, I put in a call to the baseball commissioner, though I doubt it would be returned. Perhaps the next step would be our state senator or the FCC.

Atlanta Braves blackouts

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2012 10:23:58 AM
(0)
Employee

Here are the games on Peachtree web site. It lists 45 of them.

http://www.peachtreetv.com/story/?oid=27158  

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Atlanta Braves blackouts

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2012 8:52:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

Just out of curiosity and since there were no Atlanta Braves games scheduled, I started channel surfing,Can anyone explain why those two channels were blacked out for an NBA game? Will our regular stations be subject to these black outs too? I never had a problem receiving 729 or 1729 before...and really don't care about basketball but if you're paying for these channels you should get them.

Sport South channel 729 or1729

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2012 8:56:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I believe the rules governing what games may be shown or blacked out in any given area are made by the league.....not AT&T U-verse TV.  It's all in the contracts.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

Re: Sport South channel 729 or1729

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2012 9:15:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

You know, I'm really having a hard time believing ATT is not totally at fault for these black outs. My collie, Dylan is pretty smart and agrees with me. I think ATT needs to get on the ball and truly hear their subscribers wishes to pay a little more dinero to get what sports channels they wish. Just sayin...put it out there and see what happens.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2012 9:18:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If you are in the Atlanta Hawks broadcast territory, their games will be available when broadcast on channels 729 and 1729. If you are not inside the Atlanta Hawks territory, their games will be blacked out on channels 729 and 1729.  You can enter your zip code in the link below to see if you are in the Atlanta Hawks broadcast territory:

http://www.att.com/Common/iptv/files/dkpages/sportsnetworkinfo.html

If you have a problem with the blackout rules of the professional leagues, complain to those leagues.  TV providers do not set league blackout policies.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2012 9:20:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

SuSaN03 wrote:

You know, I'm really having a hard time believing ATT is not totally at fault for these black outs. My collie, Dylan is pretty smart and agrees with me. I think ATT needs to get on the ball and truly hear their subscribers wishes to pay a little more dinero to get what sports channels they wish. Just sayin...put it out there and see what happens.

If you are having a conversation about this with a dog, you have issues that go well beyond what anyone on this forum can help you resolve.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2012 9:33:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

I would certainly hope that Texas people would realize when something is stated "tongue in cheek" and I was referring to the other person with his White Highland Terrier who voiced his opinion before mine. I truly hope you are not this rude to other ladies! My Mama taught me to play nice so I'll say no more...just be more respecful when dealing with others...just sayin.....

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2012 9:45:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

SuSaN03 wrote:

I would certainly hope that Texas people would realize when something is stated "tongue in cheek" and I was referring to the other person with his White Highland Terrier who voiced his opinion before mine. I truly hope you are not this rude to other ladies! My Mama taught me to play nice so I'll say no more...just be more respecful when dealing with others...just sayin.....

I hope that is the case.  The league blackout rules will not change no matter how much you post your displeasure with them on this forum.

By the way, you should follow your own advice.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2012 11:03:13 AM
(0)
Tutor

Since you are an ATT employee, perhaps you would be in a position to let us all know if UV is ever considering adding Peachtree TV (for Braves games only) to its lineup??...not to put you on the spot or anything. Time Warner (HATE THEM) would only air the games and then off the station would go.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2012 11:15:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

SuSaN03 wrote:

Since you are an ATT employee, perhaps you would be in a position to let us all know if UV is ever considering adding Peachtree TV (for Braves games only) to its lineup??...not to put you on the spot or anything. Time Warner (HATE THEM) would only air the games and then off the station would go.

Keep the accusations coming!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2012 11:26:45 AM
(0)
Employee

SuSaN03 wrote:

As an ATT employee, it's required to have a disclaimer on any post made on any ATT social media site. Texasguy is not an ATT employee.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 6, 2012 7:08:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

When the ATT Uverse came to my house to see if I was interested in changing cable, my question to them was, "Will I still be able to watch the Brewers game?"  At that time,  I had comcast and was paying for the mlb extra innings.  I was told that I WOULD be able to watch Brewers game and all games because I would get Fox Sports North Midwest and all other channels.  I would have NEVER switched over if I would have known that I could watch the channel....just not the baseball games.  Why would anybody pay for the HD premeir package which is mainly sports channels if they can't watch the sports games?  This has been totally misleading.  Am I getting this wrong?  Has anybody else been mislead this way?