04-06-2012 01:32:15 PM
Well, I guess there will be no more messages asking U-verse to add the Mtn. to it's lineup. From the article found in the link below:
The Mtn., the regional sports network for the Mountain West Conference, will go dark on June 1.
Jointly owned by CBS Sports Network and NBCUniversal and operated by the latter, the Mtn, was the first conference-specific RSN, when it kicked off in 2006. The 13-million home network, which had its difficulties over the years in securing carriage, is a casualty of college conference restructuring and the uncertainty surrounding the Mountain West, which has already seen BYU, Utah and TCU defect, with San Diego State and Boise State scheduled to migrate as well. Its future was further clouded by movement toward some form of alignment with Conference USA. Such a business play could put the base of schools from those two entities across five time zones.
"This network would have never been formed today, given the teams that have left and are about to leave," said one source familiar with the situation. "Its future is clearly uncertain
04-06-2012 02:06:39 PM
I hope U-Verse does not get the blame for this. Perhaps if U-Verse had taken on this channel, The Mtn would have had more subscribers and more money as a result. On second thought, it is U-Verse's fault.
04-06-2012 02:15:30 PM - edited 04-06-2012 02:17:05 PM
congrats to everyone on this, what great news!
especially the folks at the mtn who are losing their jobs, you were such a pain to the all of us message boarders.
now if we can just get fox sports san diego to fail we can have a big ole PAR-TAY!
04-06-2012 02:30:40 PM
all sarcasm aside, the mountain west conference biggest error as far as the mtn goes was not going after san jose state when they had the chance. the bay area is comcast territory and would have been a good fit given the networks ownership (the mtn was only available in comcast markets where there was a mountain west conference team)
04-06-2012 02:44:00 PM
According to Wikipedia, the Mtn's ownership is as follows:
Mountain West Conference (30%)
CBS Corporation (40%)
Also, the Mtn. is available on more than Comcast systems:
The Mtn. is currently available in all nine MWC markets on the following providers:
- DirecTV (nationwide) - Available on Choice package inside the MWC, Sports Pack for the rest of the country
- All West Communications (Utah, Wyoming)
- Baja Broadband (Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah)
- Bresnan Communications (Colorado, Utah, Wyoming)
- Broadweave Networks (Utah)
- CableONE (Idaho, New Mexico)
- CC Communications (Nevada)
- Centracom Interactive (Utah)
- Champion Broadband (Colorado, Wyoming)
- Comcast (Colorado, New Mexico, Utah)
- CommuniComm (Colorado, Texas, Wyoming)
- Cox (Arizona, California, Nevada)
- Emery Telecom Video (Utah)
- Independent Cable Systems of Idaho (Idaho)
- Levan Cable (Utah)
- Manti Tele Communications Company (Utah)
- Orbitel Communications (Arizona)
- Prime Time Communications (Utah)
- Project Mutual Telephone (Idaho)
- Provo Cable (Utah)
- RigidTech (Wyoming)
- CenturyLink (Colorado, Utah)
- Reliance Connects (Nevada)
- Rural Telephone Company (Idaho)
- Saratoga Cable (Utah)
- Silver Star Communications (Wyoming)
- South Central Communications (Utah)
- Spanish Fork Community Network (Utah)
- Strata Networks (Utah)
- Suddenlink Communications (Texas)
- Sweetwater Cable Television (Wyoming)
- TCT (Wyoming)
- USA Communications (Colorado)
04-06-2012 08:07:56 PM
excuse me texasguy, but what does any of your above post have to do with the mtn closing up shop?
Texasguy was merely trying to give some information about The Mtn Network such as who owns it , and what satellite and cable companies carried it.
I do not see any problem with this information. Are there any parameters or rules on this forum that say he cannot provide this information?
Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
04-09-2012 01:13:14 PM
the Mtn. is available (for now) on comcast systems in Michigan
Not for long.
As for the leagues/teams that The Mtn had, I would hope they would to go back to ESPN, or whoever had them before. (regional affiliates?)
04-15-2012 08:34:01 AM
bugmenot121, notice I DID say "for now" in my post.