09-28-2008 10:12:07 PM
09-29-2008 12:12:34 AM
Did you not have a problem before with your previous provider?
I can do it with FF, Safari, and IE...maybe someone else has some ideas?
Is your connection up to speed? Post your stats here for us if you'd like from speedtest.net
09-29-2008 12:27:17 AM
09-29-2008 02:44:08 AM
09-29-2008 07:19:37 AM
i thought you always had to put in the extension. i just tried it and got the ' internet explorer cannot display web page' error...
I just learned something new myself. I thought you had to put the ext in.
09-29-2008 07:57:47 AM
Sorry for the underwhelming amount of details. To address some of the questions asked:
- Before the switch to AT&T, 99% of the time, just entering the address without the extension would work. The few times it didn't, I got a Ro@d Runner search listing, as T!me W@rner was my old service provider.
- The LAN has not changed. The RG runs to an Apple Time Capsule (802.11n), which is bridged to an Airport Extreme (802.11b/g). Previously, the same configuration was used, but the Time Capsule plugged into the T!me W@rner modem.
- The RG is set to have the Time Capsule on DMZPlus. The wireless feature of the RG is disabled.
- The computers in question are Macs. Safari and Firefox are able to fetch URL's without entering the extension. IE 8, to my knowledge, cannot.
- The connection is good. According to speedtest.net, I'm getting ~5000 down. Not sure what the up is, but it is what was paid for.
09-29-2008 07:56:02 PM
I tried this on my mac - and mine seems to be working okay. I cannot exactly figure out how Safari is guessing URL's - without putting a sniffer on the line. I think they are doing it with a series of DNS lookups (where they stick on the usual .com, .org, .net). Hence, you might try looking to see what your mac has as its preferred DNS servers. This would correspond to your prior note that you would occasionally receive search results that clearly were being inserted on behalf of your former ISP - when they would return a "false positive" - fooling Safari.
You can find that info in your System Preferences | Network | Advanced | DNS tab or simply type the following at a prompt in terminal:
You might then also try timing DNS responses to see if yours are for some reason unusually slow. I'm currently using 2 routers stacked in series before my AT&T DSL line. The initial router for my mac is an aging Airport Extreme base station. It is relaying my DNS - so my DNS servers are reported as (at the mac computer) my base station. My base station in turn is using AT&T's primary DNS servers as relayed automatically from them.
You can try a couple of tests yourself (in the terminal) by using the "dig" command.
and so and and so forth.
I was finding that popular sites like those above are getting responses in around 95 ms. When I picked a more obscure site that likely is not cached - my responses are more like 110 ms. If you are getting responses way slower than that - that is likely the source of your trouble, and you need to figure out how your DNS resolution is happening in your network - with all those various apple tid bits you have.
09-30-2008 09:18:02 AM