Posted Apr 2, 2012
4:12:20 PM
Connect Tech comes of age

Keeping this light, it should be the age of retirement.

I'm a Uverse/DSL user with no service option for VOIP.

Try calling in for service when "Mary" from India, only can identify you by your phone number-  Whether "Mary" or the irritating phone prompt guy with the condescending attitude, they only ask for your phone number-  for which I do not exist to them.

After several loops within the system, I finally get back to someone that undersands that all I have is a BAN.

Great.  I'm an outlook guy to boot.  Port 25 blocking issue.  You can almost hear the crickets chirping.

It takes an act of congress to get to a level 2 tech.  You can hear the sympathy in their voice, but their hands are tied.  They send me to Connect Tech.

I don't need Connect Tech.  As of 1 hour ago, eveything was working fine.  Something changed on the ATT side, not with me.

Connect Tech eventually forward me to ATT.com  who eventually forwards me to Yahoo Tech, who eventaully forward me back to Connect Tech.

2.5 hours into this now.  Att.com "manager" (right) signs me up for annual service, billed monthly, and gives met the first month as a credit, telling me to cancel before the next billing cycle.... sort of fortells the value of the problem solving skillset at Connect Tech.

Finally get to Connect Tech, and with an account number showing that I signed up, they actually talk.  Another hour goes by.  Of course he needs access to my computer.  He wanted my passwords too (like that was going to happen).  I watch settings change, test emails sent, port numbers changed... etc.

Still doesn't work.  I'm about 5 hours in now... 5 hours that I'll never get back.

I talk to the IT guy at work.  He laughs under his breath.  Changes everything back to exactly the way that it was and says wait a day and ATT will sort of reset itself automactically when one of their technicians catch their problem.  That solution cost me a $120 dinner.

Sure enough, the next day, with all of the original settings everything is just fine.

Conncect Tech-  $180 contract to do absolutely nothing.  Could this be the new form of extortion on the internet?

Bandwith usage might run a close second in the near future.

I pay almost $500 per month to ATT for Uverse, DSL, cell phones, home phone and fax lines.  In May of this year, all of my cell phones are "out of contract. 

Any ideas for a good ISP that I can use with MagicJack?  I already have the cell phone solution.

According to the rules, this was done in an entertaining style-  I bet my IT guy another $120 dinner that this never gets posted.

Ken in Wisconsin.

Connect Tech comes of age

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2012 4:58:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Your "IT Guy" is gonna love you. :smileyvery-happy:

But seriously, is your only problem and intemittant outage and/or port 25 blockage?

Teir 2 tech support should have been able to unblock port 25 as well as tell you if the outage is on their end.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Connect Tech comes of age

2 of 10 (2,067 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2012 5:14:52 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks Computer-Joe. I actually posted under "internet & DSL" and it was removed and then placed under "C-T Member Discussions". Saved another $120 :smileyhappy: As of 3/28/12, Tier 2 support can verify Port 25 status, but ALL changes and request are now required to go through Connect Tech.

There was no intermittent outage... It was a steel curtain. I could recieve from various pop3 servers, but was block from sending from anything other than ATT's yahoo server. Problem was on the ATT side of the gateway, yet C-T couldn't see it. Time really did solve the problem. Just has cost me a bunch.

3 of 10 (2,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 7:37:18 AM
(0)

Hello Ken,

I sincerely apologize that you had to go through so much trouble. If you are still having issues please send me a PM with your account info(no passwords) including a good call back number and I will see that your issue is escalated and you will be contacted. I have received information that unblocking port 25 is something that is done by connectech and no longer by Uverse Tier 2. I once again want to apologize that this information wasn't brought to my attention sooner so I could give the community the proper information.

Thank you,

JustinF

___

I am an AT&T ConnecTech employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

I'm here to help with any technical issues you may have but if you need advanced ConnecTech support over the phone, please visit the
ConnecTech website or call 1-800-344-1734 (Phone support is available 8 am – 11 pm Central Time, 7 days a week)

4 of 10 (2,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 2:32:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks Justin, but I'm done with AT&T.

I plan to move everything in May, as soon as I have my new services set up.

Hopefully the cancellation of the connect tech support service I did with someone named "Mudasser".

I have my doubts as I am still awaiting a confimation email and it has already been more that 30 hours.

The more I think about it, the more it really looks like a pure extortion scam.

Thanks for your offer to help.

5 of 10 (2,041 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 5, 2012 8:31:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

Called 18002882020, Got straight into Tier 2 support.  Told them that port 25 outbound was being blocked.  The tech verifed that this was the case and within 1 minute the filter was removed and I was able to telnet to mail servers on port 25.  I verified that my mail queue cleared out.

Point is, in my case tier 2 took care of the issue (really quickly).  My only issue is that the installer or salesperson or whoever should make it ubundantly clear to the client that port 25 outbound is blocked by default AND that this means outbound mail (aside from webmail and encrypted mail) will be blocked.

Hope the next person has the same luck I did.

- Jay

6 of 10 (2,037 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2012 5:02:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

JustinF wrote:

Hello Ken,

I sincerely apologize that you had to go through so much trouble. If you are still having issues please send me a PM with your account info(no passwords) including a good call back number and I will see that your issue is escalated and you will be contacted. I have received information that unblocking port 25 is something that is done by connectech and no longer by Uverse Tier 2. I once again want to apologize that this information wasn't brought to my attention sooner so I could give the community the proper information.

Thank you,

JustinF

Sorry Justin, nothing personal, but you just highlighted one of the major malfunctions of AT&T. Lack of communication.

When the people that are supposed to be performing a function are not even informed of their duties, there is definitely something wrong, and apparently some of the people who's function it used to be, do not yet realize they've been demoted.

As well, apparently most people in sales are very poorly informed as to what they are selling and how they can sell it. Either that, or they're highly informed on how to lie and how not to record the call for training purposes so there is no record of their lies (which is it, idiocy or conniving, or both).

People in billing are so poorly informed that they can say they are fixing your bill and say everything is fine, but apparently lack the training to actually fix it correctly the first time (or second, or third).

Installers are either not informed they have an appointment to keep or they are informed that they have three appointments to keep in one hour.

AT&T, you suck at disseminating information amongst your employees, you suck at keeping records unless you think a customer owes you money, then the record can not seem to be deleted even if it's found to be erroneous, and other than the few people on this forum like Alex, you suck at resolving the problems created by your ineptitude.

That leaves only two very distinct possibilities. Either AT&T is 99% corrupt and spend most of their time figuring out how to seperate customers from their hard earned money, or you just totally suck and are completely inept at everything you do and it amazes me how your business has not crumbled down around your heads except for all the help you get from government in the form of tax breaks and special legislation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 10 (2,033 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2012 10:42:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

In a few days JStreet44 will have another post... I'm just thinking out loud.

8 of 10 (2,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2013 12:27:05 PM
(0)
Contributor

What does it take to get port 25 unblocked for a residental U-verse internet line?  If it cost extra, how much extra?

Sincerely,

Jon Justvig

9 of 10 (1,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2013 3:37:29 AM
(0)
Employee
3 installs in an hour? ATT Technicians work on a Auto-dispach type system. Cable companies typically work their techs in time frams and if they have 6 jobs that day, they have to complete six jobs that day! Cable companies are "Quantity over Quality". ATT techs hit a button and get a job. If its an instance where it is going to take 6 hours to give you the best quality possible, then they take 6 hours and get it done right the first time. ATT has recently changed their expectations to be more customer friendly. I worked for cable for 8 years, before uverse was even araround. Cable gave me the following amount of jobs every day, 2 8-11 jobs, 2 11-3 jobs and 2 3-7 jobs everyday no matter what. If I got there and no cables were run I jad to sacrafice sometimes a little quality to make customers as happy as I could. ATT has really been a much less stressful job. We go through massive amounts of training.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

10 of 10 (990 Views)