Posted Sep 17, 2013
GoPhone plan for iPhone 5S?

I am giving a friend of mine for her birthday an [unlocked] iPhone 5S.

I have some done some inquiries and she has the $50 smartphone prepaid plan that gives her unlimited talk, domestic and international messaging. But this plan has no data (it says WiFi only).

I was under the impression that iPhones were required to have a valid data plan or has this changed? Will she have any problems using the phone?

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: ACE is a forum title; I am not affiliated with AT&T]
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

GoPhone plan for iPhone 5S?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 17, 2013
(0)

I'm not aware of any requirement that prepaid iPhone needs a data plan. Smartphone plan yes, which the $50 smartphone plan obviously is.

Also, iPhone itself can function just fine with data disabled, it's less fun to use when there's no Wi-Fi but it's certainly still a capable phone, but she shouldn't have any problems using voice/text (the phone will automatically fall back to SMS instead of iMessage for all texting needs).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: GoPhone plan for iPhone 5S?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 18, 2013
(0)
dmapr is correct - prepaid smartphones such as iPhones are not required to have a qualifying data plan unlike postpaid smartphones. Hence, one of the benefits of prepaid. :smileyhappy:

Your friend should have no problem using the phone for texting, calling, and Wi-Fi browsing purposes. She would have to switch to a different plan if she were interested in using a data package. Data packages are not available for smartphones on the $50/monthly plan.

On another note, it is very kind of you to grant such a gift for your friend. I am sure she will appreciate it very much!

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2013
(0)

Interesting. I haven't used prepaid before, so I didn't know you can get smartphone plan without data on prepaid.. Personally I can't imagine using the iPhone without any form of 3G data since I'm often away from WiFi.

I asked if she wanted to switch to the $60 plan, but she says she is always on WiFi and when she isn't she is not concerned that much about using her phone.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: ACE is a forum title; I am not affiliated with AT&T]

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2013
(0)
Sounds like she's good to go, then! :smileyhappy:

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy: