Posted Jul 22, 2013
My Smart TV no longer connects to the Internet

I purchased a Samsung UN46ES6500 in May and had no problem connecting the TV to my wireless network and, in turn, the Internet. Saturday evening, however, the TV can connect to the network but says that it cannot connect to the Internet. The TV is the only device that cannot connect to the Internet through my network. I tried connecting the TV directly to the modem, but the same problem occurs. Any suggestions?

My Smart TV no longer connects to the Internet

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master
jnshimko -
You are the third Samsung to report this. Do you see a pattern?? Maybe Samsung is down & you have to connect to their server.
http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Cannot-connect-smart-tv-to-internet/m-p/3529325#M38722
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: My Smart TV no longer connects to the Internet

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)
Tutor
If I cannot connect to the Internet, how would I be able to connect to their server?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master
jnshimko - How do you know you cannot connect to the internet?? The access is not like a browser. Your computer browsers are connecting?? yes?? So your location is connected to the internet. You use the internet to go to one place to exercise the limited internet access provided by the TV.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)
Tutor
When connecting the smart tv to the Internet, you must connect it just like a computer, which means I select a network, enter a key and try to connect. The information provided is the IP Address, DNS, gateway and mac ID. The screen itself says it is connected to the network but can't access the Internet.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master
jnshimko - Exactly my point. All dressed up (you have a physical connection) & no place to go (you do not have a browser function) You need samsung to get to the addresses they support. Maybe they will get working soon & you will receive immaculate reception.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)
Tutor
I do have a browser function. I don't know how to explain it, but the Smart TV has an OS just like any other Internet-based hardware. Think of it like a smartphone. I have a browser, apps and email functionality but right now, the setting app is saying that it can connect to my uverse network but it cannot connect to the Internet (exact wording minus the word uverse). I don't know if you are not familiar with this TV or just presume it must be samsung, but when the error message says to contact my ISP, I'm going to go that route instead of thinking I have Internet connection and the TV is misleading me.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

Just a thought have you looked at your settings in your RG just to make sure there is not a restriction on your Samsung?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)
Tutor
Can you walk me through that? I'm not familiar with networks in the way I am with other things.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

Disreguard my post you already stated the browser works so its getting an IP.

So you can surf the web on the TV browser but you can not access the app store correct.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master
jnshimko - How about posting your make/model. The sets I have seen do not have a browser. Just access to specific sites. How do they get that access?? I wonder??

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)
Tutor
The first thing I posted was the make/model. Samsung UN46ES6500. Here is the info http://m.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN46ES6500FXZA

And oz_1, the browser works in that it tells me it cannot access the Internet. Aside from that, it doesn't work.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

Go to settings in your TV and see if you re-enter your wireless pass key, if you can connect maybe its just something as simple as it lost its IP since these are not static IP's.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master
jnshimko - OK, That is pretty comprehensive/impressive. Since I cannot comprehend across multiple posts - You did try pull the plug on the TV & reboot the RG then plug the TV back in & try it. After that I have no more, except that I am stuck on the coincidence of three Samsung failures. Since they have access to your ste they could have updated your software with a bad update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)
Tutor
I am starting to believe you are correct in that last point. I'm wondering how Samsung can possibly rectify that if the bad update makes problematic to access the Internet to get the new update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

See what your firmware is and post it or look for links to see if the problem is widespread.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2013
(0)
Scholar

I also have a Samsung Smart TV.  Have you tried remote suppot.  Press menu and go to the support section.  Click on remote support and you will see a phone number and a code.  Call that number and ask for remote support.  When the tech comes on line give him that number and he will access your tv and fix the settings.  It is possible that you may have corrupted software and he will fix that as well.  He would be able to tell if it is an isp issue or tv issue.

Hope this helps

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2013
(0)
Tutor
My software version is 001016. That's all I can find right now.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 24, 2013
(0)
ACE - Master

db821arc wrote:

I also have a Samsung Smart TV.  Have you tried remote suppot.  Press menu and go to the support section.  Click on remote support and you will see a phone number and a code.  Call that number and ask for remote support.  When the tech comes on line give him that number and he will access your tv and fix the settings.  It is possible that you may have corrupted software and he will fix that as well.  He would be able to tell if it is an isp issue or tv issue.

Hope this helps

Just confirmed this with our companies Samsung rep they can access it as long as you got internet service and re-send firmware besides diagnostics.