06-08-2012 09:45:07 AM
About 2 weeks ago we moved & received the new black modem (Had the older one before that, had to switch it, sadly) and have had nothing but problems with our connection.
Pages won't load a lot of the time (says server not found), no Hulu videos will work, even a lot of ads on my webpages just say server not found. After contacting technical support and going through all the tests & whatnot they thought it was a faulty modem & sent us a new one. That didn't fix the problem, so then they thought it was a wiring issue. Sent a tech out yesterday who found no problems with the wiring. I called AT&T again & they decided to send another tech out (not really sure what good that was supposed to do...since we just had one). Anyway, the other tech just left & never found any wiring problems either.
After 2 weeks of terrible internet and wait times on the phone with no resolution to our problem, I'm very frustrated! I feel that there is a firewall of some sort blocking certain things, since it's the same websites & whatnot having problems...But the folks on the phone don't seem to think so.
Anyone having a similar problem!? Im ready to just drop the service & find a new one! Ugh
06-08-2012 12:31:54 PM
I've had similar frustrating problems since I switched from DSL to Uverse over two months ago. And similar support "help."
I was having no problem with DSL. Uverse has been a huge issue and time waster. I have chatted with Tier 1, Tier 2, Advanced Technical Support and ConnecTech and house-visits by techs and replacement of modem/router. All to no avail. I cannot get the wi-fi part working well, long story short. For a variety of reasons, I've concluded that the Motorola NVG510 works fine with some computers, and not well with others insofar as wi-fi goes. I've even tried using two new external USB "N"-type wi-fi adapters, no joy. Check out the column on the NVG510 on NetworkWorld - not a good review at all.
I've not been able to find anyone at AT&T who understands much about networking and getting under the hood to tweak things in the modem or for the computer; by and large, it's just well-meaning folks following scripts and help pages and who have received "training," it seems to me.
It's like going to the car dealer with a problem in your car's computer, but the personnel only know how to change oil, rotate tires and they ascribe most every problem to the oil and tires.
I'm left with having to likely change to another ISP instead of changing my oil.
06-08-2012 07:50:59 PM
To me, your description sounds like you are just having simple DNS issues. Have you tried connectin to your modem/router and changing the default DNS servers to be something like Google (18.104.22.168), or Level 3 (22.214.171.124), or even OpenDNS (126.96.36.199)? If you set your DNS to any of these 3 public DNS servers, you will probably have many fewer issues.
06-09-2012 02:27:45 AM
This seems to be a common problem having to do with the motrola gatways. I have recently switched my dns from the standard preset one and tho I did have improved dl speeds I still have the issue of speratic drop off on my dl speed. To go from the now improved 11.27mbps to .47 is a big fall!! And it is happening with my grandmother as well. She upgraded to 6mb and had no problem, now that they upgraded her to 12 she does not get anything over 1mb. I have only had this service for about a month and the whole time I have had this issue, I can be wireless, hardwired, on the xbox, android phone it doesnt matter, it drops the connection to dial up when ever it pleases!!! I am tired of the B_S that has to be "tested" first. I know what to do and how to do it, no a new gateway is not going to fix the problem!! I have already been issued a new one and it still has the same problems. Someone at ATT needs to figure out the problem and fast because this issue is getting worse!!
07-20-2012 09:31:33 AM
Do you have a recommended link about how to change DNS servers for WIndows XP / Motorola NVG510? Thanks!
Not sure if you found an answer for your question, but here's how you can change the DNS for Windows XP:
- Click "Start" and open the "Control Panel".
- Locate and open "Network Connections"
- Double click your default Network Connection
- Click Properties
- Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click on Properties again
- Click on: “Use the following DNS server addresses”
- Type in the DNS IP addresses
- Click OK
- Close any open dialogue window and Control Panel
- Restart all Browsers
PM (Private Message)
Follow us on Twitter - @ATTCustomerCare
Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.
I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
07-20-2012 09:56:23 AM
Thanks for the follow up!
I was previously able to learn how to update the DNS servers. Turns out that the benefit was picking up a small amount of speed advantage at times; however, the main issues have turned out to be due to a combination of other factors: quality of the Motorola gateway including its wi-fi functionality is not that great, distance from central office (introduced errors partly as a result) and other stuff, long story short.
One thing that helped was to use a Powerline networking kit to reduce reliance on wi-fi (in this instance I used the Rocketfish RF-GUV1125 from Best Buy... this enables me to connect the Motorola by ethernet cable to a powerline adapter upstairs and then pick up the signal downstairs with the paired adapter (which has 4 ethernet ports)... Thus I use my notebook on ethernet rather than relying on wi-fi which helps some.
07-23-2012 01:33:27 PM - edited 07-23-2012 01:35:04 PM
I would clear out the cache and cookies from all of your browsers, if you haven't already.
CCleaner is a freeware program that will do it for you.