Posted Apr 24, 2012
Purchase Additional 2Wire i38HG Units

I just had the 18 Mbs U-Verse internet service installed last week to replace my 6 Mbs DSL service with AT&T.  Since I am 3600 feet from the VRAD, they had to install the iNID setup which comprises the 2Wire i3812V outdoor unit and the i38HG indoor gateway. Actually, to gain better wireless coverage, the tech installed two of the i38HG units, one at each end of the house.  The documentation for the i3812V states that the system can support up to eight of the i38HG gateways.  I am wondering if I can purchase one or more additional i38HG units from AT&T and if so, how much do they cost?  I am not willing to pay $6 per month to lease one.  I have seen used ones on eBay priced in the $25-50 range, but I am not sure if they are compatable with my system, and buying used items is always risky.

Purchase Additional 2Wire i38HG Units

[ Edited ]
19 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(19)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 24, 2012
(0)
A multiple i38HG system is unusual. Most AT&T technicians do not know how to set this up.

The wireless coverage provided by the i38HG units is not the best as far as wireless units go. You might do better to use aftermarket wireless access points from the known consumer manufacturers like Linksys, D-Link, NetGear, TrendNet, TP-Link, etc.

These would connect back to the i38HG using Ethernet, would have wider and more reliable coverage, and can use 802.11n wireless for higher speeds than the i38HG units, which are limited to 802.11g.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Purchase Additional 2Wire i38HG Units

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 24, 2012
(0)

I was using a ZyXEL wireless access point with my DSL gateway, but the two i38HG units provide better wireless coverage in my home than the access point did. According to the manual for the iNID, installation of additionasl i38HG units is easy.  You just plug in the power supply and telephone line, and the new uinit is automatically recognized and configured by the network. You log into the network by using the login ID from the first i38HG that was connected to the network, and you also use the security key from this first i38HG to allow wireless devices to access the network. I have confirmed this by unplugging each of the i38HG units in turn, and the network continues to function.  When trhe device is plugged back, it is automatically recognized.

Although the ZyXEL access point was a 802.11n unit, I did not notice any speed increase when using it.  802.11g provides up to 54 Mbs speed, whereas the internet connection is maxed out at 18 Mbs.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 24, 2012
(0)
If your house is wired suitably with the telephone wiring, then additional i38HG units will indeed work like this.

As far as I know, the i3812V unit which is outside is registered to your account and cannot be changed out without technician assistance, but the i38HG units are not. You should theoretically be able to add used i38HG units into the system and have them recognized. The only concern is that technically, all of these units are the property of AT&T, and are not supposed to be available for sale.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 25, 2012
(0)

Well, if AT&T will not sell me a i38HG, I will bid on a used one from eBay.  I'll let you know how it works.

Since my home is not wired for ethernet, these devices allow me to establish wired or wireless networking in any room that has a telephone jack, and they can very easily be moved from room to room.

I also have a technical question.  Since these units are acting as a single WiFi network, would it be better to assign them to the same wireless channel?  If I allow the software to automatically assign the channels, it puts them on different channels (usually five channels apart).

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 25, 2012
(0)

RetiredGator wrote:

I was using a ZyXEL wireless access point with my DSL gateway, but the two i38HG units provide better wireless coverage in my home than the access point did. According to the manual for the iNID, installation of additionasl i38HG units is easy.  You just plug in the power supply and telephone line, and the new uinit is automatically recognized and configured by the network. You log into the network by using the login ID from the first i38HG that was connected to the network, and you also use the security key from this first i38HG to allow wireless devices to access the network. I have confirmed this by unplugging each of the i38HG units in turn, and the network continues to function.  When trhe device is plugged back, it is automatically recognized.

Although the ZyXEL access point was a 802.11n unit, I did not notice any speed increase when using it.  802.11g provides up to 54 Mbs speed, whereas the internet connection is maxed out at 18 Mbs.

That is the "theoretical" maximum throughput. With more than a few devices connected  (and utilizing) an access point, you'll be lucky to see 10% of that speed.

Not to mention you just openly admitted to your intent to purchase stolen goods.:smileywink:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 25, 2012
(0)
Will the AT&T SWAT team come and break down my door?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 25, 2012
(0)

Oh, you must mean the SWAT&T team. Yes, they are brutal, and their tactics inhumane.

First, they'll keep tranferring you from one interogator to another with indefinate sufferable waiting in between each one. They'll keep you off balance by making you repeat your alibi to each interogator, over and over again. Then you'll get the good cop, bad cop treatment with one interogator saying you must be innocent and we'll get these charges dropped, and the next saying these charges stick and we have an extra one just because. And after grilling you for hours or days, over the phone of course, they'll tell you you're free to go any time, but it will cost you $150 if you want to leave before you've "done your time".

:smileylol:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 26, 2012
(0)

Today I received a used i38HG gateway that I picked up on eBay for $25.  The seller stated that he had switched internet providers and AT&T never asked for the unit back.  I plugged it into a telephone jack, connected the power, and the iNID network automatically recognized and configured it.  I now have three of the i38HG gateways on the same network and my wireless coverage is superb. The iNID assigns each i38HG a seperate channel if auto channel selection is enabled.  I'm still not sure if it would be better to assign all three to the same channel or not. I guess I will give it a try and see what happens.

By the way, I'm getting the same upload and download speeds on all three units.  I have the 18 Mbs service and I usually average 17 Mbs down and 1.2 Mbs up.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 26, 2012
(0)
You should actually let them select different channels. Being on different channels decreases the interference between the different units and allows higher throughput. If you want to manually select channels, you'll probably do best using (1, 6, and 11), or (2, 6, and 10).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 11, 2012
(0)

Just wondering if anyone ever got back to you about actually buying extra units from att?

and when u plug them into the phone jacks rather than the Ethernet did you use the green data port on the i38hg?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 18, 2012
(0)

I noticed that you said the i38HG units are plugged into telephone jacks.  I don't have any phone jacks, just CAT5, but I noticed that the i38HGs connect with a phone wire.  Does anyone know if this would work just as well if it is plugged into an Ethernet port?...or if there is a better solution since I'm wired with CAT5?  I just received one solution of using a Netgear Wireless Repeater, but I'm just wondering if there's a way to take advantage of my LAN as opposed to going wireless.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 19, 2012
(0)

TheTexasBoy wrote:

I noticed that you said the i38HG units are plugged into telephone jacks.  I don't have any phone jacks, just CAT5, but I noticed that the i38HGs connect with a phone wire.  Does anyone know if this would work just as well if it is plugged into an Ethernet port?...or if there is a better solution since I'm wired with CAT5?  I just received one solution of using a Netgear Wireless Repeater, but I'm just wondering if there's a way to take advantage of my LAN as opposed to going wireless.

Your Cat5 cable should be fine. THe iNID communicates to the inside units via HPNA on UTP (i.e., phone wire / DIW up to Cat6a). You may have some issues plugging an Rj11 into the RJ45 jack (some acks are more tolerant, some can be ruined).

The nature of HPNA is such you'd probably be good createing your own jumper with an RJ45 on one end and an Rj11  on the other (terminating the blue pair on both ends).

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2012
(0)

Is it possible to purchase the i38hg instead of renting it?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2012
(0)

It seems to me, the most effective way would be to get another i38hg. It would have it's own line back to the i3812 and would configure automatically when plugged in. What could be more efficient than that...  You would also have no problems with AT&T, as this is what their provided equipment recommends. With as many people that post on this problem with wireless coverage, and trying to patch in third party solutions, it seems pretty obvious to me. I have read where people have spent way too much time and money when there is such a simple solution, open the box and plug it in...   IMOPO...

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 11, 2013
(0)

I had U-Verse installed last summer including the 2Wire i38HG in-house residential gateway. Based on the above posting, I decided to see if adding a second i38HG to my house would improve the wireless signal. As part of the original install, the technician placed the i38HG on the second floor of my house in a room close to the center of the floor. Wireless coverage was strong on the second floor but only medium on the first floor with a weak/slow area in the kitchen. I got my hands on a used i38HG from ebay for $25. These things are truly plug-and-play. It took me about three minutes max to rip the unit out of the packaging, plug the power into the wall, and plug the phone line in. I placed the second unit in the kitchen where we normally have laptops, ipads, iphones, and android phones.

Voila! I now have a strong wireless signal in the kitchen. The second unit cloned the SSID and password from the primary unit and even set itself to channel 11 away from the primary unit on channel 3. If you currently have the i38HG and are looking to fill in some dead zones in your house, consider adding another i38HG!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2013
(0)
HI, When you add your additional units how are they wired together or do they pick up wireless connectivity with each? The only active phone jack in my house is down in the basement in my apsrtment. If I supplied AC Power would it not synch with the main i38HG unit?
You post really help me. Thank you for posting the valuable information.
Steve

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2013
(0)

The additional I38HG are wired as an extension of the same cable that feeds the first one from the i3812 iNID unit.  Normally this is Cat 3, Cat5 or Coax.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 14, 2013
(0)

Each i38HG needs power and a hot phone line. Each i38HG connects to the outside box i3812V. If you have two i38HG units the first one will act as the master and the second one as the slave. The slave will clone the wireless SSID and password from the master. The slave needs a working phone line just like the master in order to connect to the i3812V.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 29, 2013
(0)
I also have a second modem/router and I plugged in the phone line and the power. It was recognized by the i3812V unit. It came on but then just quits working. I will reset it and it works fine but just goes offline again. Not sure why.