04-25-2012 07:26:08 AM
I'm trying to download some files to play the game Starcraft 2 and am running into some weird issues accessing a certain URI from my U-Verse network. The URI is: http://attdist.blizzard.com/starcraftII/1.4.3/sc2-
I know this is a good link because I can grab the file if I'm connected to another network, and lots of other people on the Starcraft 2 forums report it working for them. So while I have workarounds I'm concerned that on U-Verse I just cannot access this. And several people on those forums with U-Verse indicate they also cannot get the file. (I was unable to play the Diablo 3 beta at all this weekend since the downloader relied on files from attdist.blizzard.com and when that game comes out next month I will be forced to switch ISPs if I can't resolve this.)
An nslookup of attdist.blizzard.com shows it as an alias of attdist.blizzard.com.na-att-idns.net. I did a bit of poking around on Google to see if anyone else had this kind of issue with either URI and found this thread where somebody had a very similar problem: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22943363-AccuWeat
That's an older thread, but people suggested there that there was some screw-up in AT&T's routing with regard to idns. I'm not even sure what idns *is* but was wondering if anyone here knew or had any idea why I'm having this problem. Does anyone else have experience with this?
05-14-2012 06:25:22 AM
05-14-2012 09:22:40 AM
This sounds like the same DNS issue that I had with AMD recently when I tried to download the new video driver from their website. The fix I came up with was to set the DNS servers on the computer to Google's public DNS servers of 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 Upon doing so, I was able to get the file I wished and avoided the erroneous information the AT&T DNS database. GIve it a whirl and see if it works for you as well.
05-14-2012 12:46:36 PM - edited 05-14-2012 12:47:31 PM
07-27-2012 04:15:34 AM
There's mad issues with all Blizz games and AT&T. People have been reporting them for a couple weeks now on forums and the only response from blues is that they've informed AT&T and AT&T is "looking into it". That was a week ago. Nothing at all has changed...in fact, it has gotten worse. AT&T has been telling people to deal with their own ISP or Blizzard, putting people on endless hold, literally yelling at them over the phone, being atrociously rude and refusing to allow them to talk to higher-ups. People are threatening to quit games every day because they are literally UNPLAYABLE. All the posted trace routes identify AT&T as the problem and yet AT&T DOES NOT CARE. If you're reading this and have the same issues (can't connect, can't download, lag spikes, consistent latency) report it to AT&T. Email them. Call them. Don't let up. Maybe if they can't get anything else done, they'll start to listen! It's utterly appalling the way they have been treating people. Seriously hoping Blizzard switches their ISP when their contract is up. Millions in lost revenue might cause AT&T to start treating their customers like actual human beings.