Posted Jun 12, 2008
4:43:34 PM
Log history of text messages
Is there any type of parental control that allows you to log the content of your children's text messages so that they are viewable online within our account?  Thanks... from troubled parent of a teen 

Log history of text messages

6 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 12, 2008 7:10:10 PM
(0)
Expert
Unfortunatly no there is not, ATT will only release that info with a court order.
Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.10423/1724; en; U; ssr))

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.

Re: Log history of text messages

2 of 7 (82,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 17, 2008 7:51:50 AM
(0)
Tutor
just another outlet for pervs.  SmartLimit is a good idea, though.  Who can afford the time and money for a court subpoena?  I am paying for this service...guess I should just cut and run.  We lived fine before cell, I guess we'll live fine after.  If enough people would agree to disconnect at least text service, I bet somebody would change their mind.

Another mom of a troubled teen.  

3 of 7 (81,739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 3, 2008 5:46:49 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by mod.moose on Aug 3, 2008 at 6:18:29 PM
I don't really agree with this logic.  {Please avoid personal comments or other topics likely to offend or generate controversy.}

Apply the same logic to texting.  Texting is a service that's available to anybody.  It is a useful service, and functions as it's supposed to, regardless of the intentions of the user. 

Honestly if your that worried about it, just turn texting off on the line in question.  I didn't have a cell phone till I could afford to get one myself, kids DON'T really need them in the first place.

madagain wrote:
just another outlet for pervs.  SmartLimit is a good idea, though.  Who can afford the time and money for a court subpoena?  I am paying for this service...guess I should just cut and run.  We lived fine before cell, I guess we'll live fine after.  If enough people would agree to disconnect at least text service, I bet somebody would change their mind.

Another mom of a troubled teen.  

Message Edited by mod.moose on 08-03-2008 06:18:29 PM

[ Edited ]
4 of 7 (81,481 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 30, 2008 8:22:20 PM
(0)
Contributor
This would be a great feature- or to even have a copy of all messages sent to the parent's phone.  In my case it's not that i want to constantly invade my son's privacy- but there  is one little girl in particular that i am very concerned about the content of her text messages.  I don't want to take away texting from him totally becuase of this girl- but I don't like enabling this behavior either.  Heck- sometimes it's just the mere knowing that I could monitor it that keeps them in line.  It doesn't have to be about control.  There should be no presumption of privacy from the standpoint of the cell phone company between parent and child.  Just like companies have no presumption of privacy with employee email- it's the same principal.  The parent provides the cell phone to allow the child some freedom and to keep them reachable when they are out with friends.  I started allowing texting with my daughter so that if there was trouble and she didn't want to talk- she could text me.  that works well.  So I afford the same privildege to my son.  we shouldn't assume anyone's purpose for usage of the phone or usage of the parental controls.  This would be a valuable feature.-  I'm ready to cancel the texting on my son's phone because of one child.  from a financial point of view---you keep me as a customer if i could monitor this and i'd pay a few bucks for that priviliedge.  at some point my concern will be enough to just shut it off.  - any response that states some right to privacy on those text message is in my book totally invalid.  He is a minor.  I buy the phone.  I pay for the service.  I have a right to monitor other influences (TV, Radio, etc)- I should have the right to monitor this.

5 of 7 (80,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 30, 2008 8:17:36 AM
(0)
Master

klem85480 wrote:
This would be a great feature- or to even have a copy of all messages sent to the parent's phone.  In my case it's not that i want to constantly invade my son's privacy- but there  is one little girl in particular that i am very concerned about the content of her text messages.  I don't want to take away texting from him totally becuase of this girl- but I don't like enabling this behavior either.  Heck- sometimes it's just the mere knowing that I could monitor it that keeps them in line.  It doesn't have to be about control.  There should be no presumption of privacy from the standpoint of the cell phone company between parent and child.  Just like companies have no presumption of privacy with employee email- it's the same principal.  The parent provides the cell phone to allow the child some freedom and to keep them reachable when they are out with friends.  I started allowing texting with my daughter so that if there was trouble and she didn't want to talk- she could text me.  that works well.  So I afford the same privildege to my son.  we shouldn't assume anyone's purpose for usage of the phone or usage of the parental controls.  This would be a valuable feature.-  I'm ready to cancel the texting on my son's phone because of one child.  from a financial point of view---you keep me as a customer if i could monitor this and i'd pay a few bucks for that priviliedge.  at some point my concern will be enough to just shut it off.  - any response that states some right to privacy on those text message is in my book totally invalid.  He is a minor.  I buy the phone.  I pay for the service.  I have a right to monitor other influences (TV, Radio, etc)- I should have the right to monitor this.

Google RADAR.

It's a paid service that does what you want it to do.

He will know it's there and so will you.

If he gripes, then cancel messaging altogether.

6 of 7 (78,736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 3, 2009 6:44:28 AM
(0)
Master

Here's the link to RADAR:

http://www.mymobilewatchdog.com/

7 of 7 (78,619 Views)