Posted Feb 28, 2012
2:03:56 PM
Uverse drops wireless connection to Macs

We just got Uverse and it all works fine except for the wirelesss internet.  The connectivity disappears many times per day. 

I am able to get it back by going through the diagnostic utility on the computer, but obviously I don't want to do that every 15 minutes.

I contacted support and they said they do not deal with anything concerning Macs and I would need to pay for Connec Tech support.

Why should I have to pay for something that is AT&Ts fault in the first place?  I had a Comcast connection in the excat same spot and there was never an issue. I am still within my 30 day warranty and may just junk the whole thing. Of course then I would have to set up Direct TV and all that again. 

Does anyone know a fix for this?

Uverse drops wireless connection to Macs

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 29, 2012 7:17:12 AM
(0)

Hi,

Please use the following guide <http://support.2wire.com/index.php?page=view&article=60>

Please change the wireless channel to 11 and also change the power setting to 10. This should make your signal strength stronger and stop the disconnects. If this does not appear the same as your modem then you may have a different interface. Please tell me the model number so I can give you the proper information. Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

Thank you,

JustinF

___

I am an AT&T ConnecTech employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

I'm here to help with any technical issues you may have but if you need advanced ConnecTech support over the phone, please visit the
ConnecTech website or call 1-800-344-1734 (Phone support is available 8 am – 11 pm Central Time, 7 days a week)

Re: Uverse drops wireless connection to Macs

2 of 8 (4,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2012 12:58:05 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Mar 3, 2012 at 6:45:22 AM

I experienced the same problem.

My first month of UVERSE was a nightmare.  I kept dropping connection to my lap-top, my PC, and my PS3.  They insisted the problems were my devices, so I finally gave in and PAID for Connect-tech.  It was a waste of money.  None of them had a clue how to fix my problems.  They all tried various things and they were all very nice but none of them knew as much as me about any of this stuff, which was not good.  I also had several reps come to my house.  Each one said something different.  Each one changed my wiring, changed out my router, changed some dynamics around of my network, and nothing worked.  They, too blamed it on my house, or on my internal wires, or whatever.  I went through 3 2WIRE routers.  THREE.  Finally I decided to use my own  old, cheap lynksys router and connect to that, which worked.  So if you are a MAC user, go ahead and hook up your AIRPORT EXTREME to the 2-wire, give it a new IP address, connect to that, and use your internet that way.

I spent a month of downtime, 40 plus hours of my own time and missed many days of work because of this.  AT&T also tried charging me for the time and material for each of their visits.  So I called them and forced their hand (they actually had the audacity to fight me on this) to give me a full refund for all the trip charges and material charges, as well as a full refund for all the CONNECT-TECH services.  Because none of them could figure out how to get it to work, but I did (using my own router instead of their 2WIRE).

Now I got a roommate who also has his own MAC laptop and his own PS3.  And now we discovered our machines are fighting for bandwidth.   Internet is SO SLOW, especially for streaming video.  If you put a machine on DMZPlus it will run perfectly.  Or if you create user-defined ports and open up as many ports as you can it will run perfectly as well.  HOWEVER, the 2WIRE router will only allow ONE MACHINE to use DMZPlus and ONE machine to use user-defined ports (no two machines can share user-defined ports).  I've been asking for an answer to that as well and have gotten nothing. 

If you live by yourself and have just a few machines then UVERSE internet is great, once you lose about 10 years of your life trying to get it to work.  But if you actually have a multi-person network through UVERSE, good luck getting what you pay for.

I believe AT&T is throttling their home internet service just like they throttled their smart-phone internet package. I'm simply going to get rid of this horrible service and go back to COMCAST ASAP, unless I can soon get an answer or solution to my problem which is simple: I do not get the internet speeds I pay for.  I'm losing my patience with this service and I've only had it for 5 months.  I never thought it was remotely possible for an ISP to prove they are worse than COMCAST, but AT&T has pulled it off.  They deserve a trophy!

In AT&T's defense, everyone I deal with is very nice.  They are courteous, and they truly want to help.  They just don't know nearly as much as I do (and many of their other customers I'm sure) about their products.  DOH!

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

[ Edited ]
3 of 8 (4,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2012 5:05:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks Deltoid.  Interesting. That seemed to work for me too. I simply plugged the Airport wireless router I had been using  into the AT&T box and while the light stays yellow, everything seems to work. I didn't even change the IP.  I haven't had the internet drop for 2 days now.

I think it is really bogus that AT&T does not disclose these KNOWN connectivity problems for Mac users, especially considering the prevelance of iPhones and iPads.  You have to wonder what Apple was thinking when they chose AT7T to partner with originally.

Thanks again Deltoid and sorry you had to go through all that crap just becuase AT&T is not willing to truly stand behind their products.

4 of 8 (4,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2012 10:32:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm glad it's working better for you.

And to be clear, this problem is not limited to MAC machines.  It's limited to ALL machines; PC's, laptops, wired connections, wireless connections, everything.

And going to these forums can be a big help as you know.  Just don't expect any help from the moderators.  Expect them to respond with: "I'm sorry to hear you are having this problem.  Please give me the model number of your router and I will find you an answer."  And then you'll NEVER hear from them again.  I'm not sure why they think that's good customer service but that's their method.

5 of 8 (4,044 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 8:54:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

Your answers are not very helpful either, especially since one must pay for somthing that should be a simple matter.

6 of 8 (2,051 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 8:56:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

My post reply is specifically to JustinF. I found assistance on AT&T that worked well. Thanks

7 of 8 (2,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2014 6:43:37 AM
(0)
Contributor

ATT and changed out my router at least 10 times over the last 2 years. It works for a while, then this issue starts again. It was dropping connecion all togther. They don't seem to be able to troubleshoot these types of issues. 

8 of 8 (1,838 Views)