Posted Oct 15, 2010
12:46:03 PM
View profile
Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

Another "cool" front blew through Indy last night with a reinforcing short of cool air.  Lots of wind and temps today in the 60's.  Maybe some light frost tomorrow.  We are still way down in the rainfall department but we got half an inch Wed. afternoon and that was as much as we received in all of August! 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
2,355 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(2,355)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2010 10:47:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

jfw wrote:

Just wondering how many of you are running weather apps on your computer and which ones? I've been using Weather Pulse by Tropic Designs for quite some time, it's a nice little program without any ads and best of all, it's free. :smileywink:

I have no apps running as i do not want to bog down my system.  I like the Weatherbug site but not the app - especially the cameras.  If an area has been hit by a snowstorm, it is neat to use the camera's time lapse feature to watch the storm come in and then go.  I love the time lapse feature!

I am a weather nut - you should see my bookmarks, related to weather!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

91 of 2,356 (1,264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2010 3:02:04 PM
(0)
Professor

dhascall wrote:

jfw wrote:

Just wondering how many of you are running weather apps on your computer and which ones? I've been using Weather Pulse by Tropic Designs for quite some time, it's a nice little program without any ads and best of all, it's free. :smileywink:

I have no apps running as i do not want to bog down my system.  I like the Weatherbug site but not the app - especially the cameras.  If an area has been hit by a snowstorm, it is neat to use the camera's time lapse feature to watch the storm come in and then go.  I love the time lapse feature!

I am a weather nut - you should see my bookmarks, related to weather!

Me too! I have a Davis weather station here at the house, took the county volunteer storm spotter class, I just find it all interesting.

92 of 2,356 (1,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2010 7:03:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I took a storm spotter class in 1985 and just now I have my amatuer radio license.  I may have to look back into that or join a Readiness team at work.

93 of 2,356 (1,239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2010 11:21:04 PM
(0)
Master
Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday
Clear
65° F | 34° F
Clear
68° F | 38° F
Partly Cloudy
72° F | 49° F
Partly Cloudy
79° F | 58° F
Partly Cloudy
79° F | 56° F
Clear Clear

Brrrr  :smileyhappy:

94 of 2,356 (1,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2010 2:28:24 AM
(0)
Expert

36 right now in Houston. :smileymad:  But we'll be back to the 80's later this week!

I use the Weather Gadget that comes w/Win 7; get email reports from Weather Underground; use The Weather Channel, Weather Bug Elite, and Weather by Yahoo apps on the Pod.

Wish I could do a home weather station.

95 of 2,356 (1,215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2010 5:41:44 AM
(0)
Professor

Coldest morning in 7 months, 24 degrees on my thermomter now and teens in far west burbs. :smileysad:

I hate winter! :smileymad:

96 of 2,356 (1,198 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2010 5:47:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

We're in the 30's here in the DFW area.  Brrr.  How long until summer?

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

97 of 2,356 (1,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2010 9:50:33 AM
(0)
Expert

Tell me about it!  36 now and 70 for a high!  Can't wait for those 80's to return later in the week.  I HATE WINTER!!!

98 of 2,356 (1,183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2010 12:53:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It is supposed to warm up here next week.  We may reach the 50s.

99 of 2,356 (1,174 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2010 9:15:08 AM
(0)
Expert

Beautiful day yesterday in Houston, sunny and around 72.  Felt like 30's last night!

Supposed to be near 50 tonight, more reasonable, IMO! :smileyvery-happy:

100 of 2,356 (1,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2010 3:39:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

60s next week beat 30s

101 of 2,356 (1,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2010 4:00:33 PM
(0)
Expert

I vote to outlaw temps in the 30s or below!

102 of 2,356 (1,078 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2010 5:26:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Falls are so crazy.  A few nights ago we had a low of 24.6....a good hard freeze.  This afternoon's high reading was 70.8 degrees.  Really nice.  Took Alfie outside and he just wanted to lie down in the luxurious grass and soak up the warm sun.  So I set up a folding chair and stayed out there with him for a while.  Nice warm breeze too.  Have to appreciate it because we all know what's coming before we're ready for it.

Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation. ......Henry A. Kissinger

103 of 2,356 (1,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2010 5:57:36 PM
(0)
Master

Yeah, agree Phil it's like roller coaster crazy and you have my vote Spd. :smileywink:

Was 26 here last night and had a nice big campfire for wife's B-Day (a bigun' year) party. Of course most of the 20 people stayed in the house. But somebody had to tend the fire and that would be me. And I know how kids like to play with fire so had to keep watch. Nothing like trying to explain to a bunch of smart kids why adults are allowed to play with fire while kids are not. :smileyvery-happy:

This week will be our "Indian Summer" with temps in the high 60's by the end of the week. Sunny and not a cloud in the sky all week. :smileyhappy:

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
Clear
61° F | 29° F
Clear
63° F | 32° F
Clear
65° F | 36° F
Clear
67° F | 40° F
Clear
67° F | 40° F
Clear Clear Clear Clear Clear

104 of 2,356 (1,057 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 5:46:48 AM
(0)
Professor

60's here too all week, near 70 on Wednesday. :smileyvery-happy:   Sure could use some decent rain, still pretty dry.

105 of 2,356 (1,038 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 6:00:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Indian(a) Summer on its way here, too!  Yee-ha!  I'm ready for Spring......

106 of 2,356 (1,033 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 7:27:01 AM
(0)
Master

Real funny Dave..... :smileyvery-happy:  Just "the calm before the storm".  :smileywink:

Everybody around here has real cheap sales on flowering Spring bulbs. Bought about 50 Crocus bulbs a couple weeks ago for just a few bucks. Better get them in the ground quick since already sprouting in the bags. Of course with these warm temps may start growing right before Winter. But this will probably not happen with no rain forecast at all.

107 of 2,356 (1,025 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 10:45:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:46:55 AM

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Real funny Dave..... :smileyvery-happy:  Just "the calm before the storm".  :smileywink:

Everybody around here has real cheap sales on flowering Spring bulbs. Bought about 50 Crocus bulbs a couple weeks ago for just a few bucks. Better get them in the ground quick since already sprouting in the bags. Of course with these warm temps may start growing right before Winter. But this will probably not happen with no rain forecast at all.

I bought an Amaryllis a couple years back to bring to work and "color up" my cube.  I opened the box and the darned thing had sprouted, grew, bloomed and had the bloom die, all in the box, probably with no light or water!  :smileysurprised:

My daughter and granddaughter cut back our one perennial flower bed and pulled up our marigolds on Labor day.  The perennial bed's plants have grown back to about 4" tall and are green and one had a bloom.   I looked really close in the marigold planter and there was a tiny (half inch tall? :smileysurprised:  ) marigold plant that must have grown from seed (my mom calls such plants "volunteers") and it had a remarkably tiny bloom on it!  WOW!  I have never seen a plant / bloom so small.  Wish that I would have taken a picture of it!

[ Edited ]
108 of 2,356 (1,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2010 1:17:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I didn't complain about the heat because I knew the days would end and the cold weather would come.  Even though we are having warmer weather this week, the really cold stuff is coming.  The weather everywhere is interesting now, the only difference is where do the warm ups begin sooner.  Unless things are going to get really strange, the south and southwest are the places to be.  IMHO

109 of 2,356 (995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2010 6:43:59 AM
(0)
Master

dhascall wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

I bought an Amaryllis a couple years back to bring to work and "color up" my cube.  I opened the box and the darned thing had sprouted, grew, bloomed and had the bloom die, all in the box, probably with no light or water!  :smileysurprised:

My daughter and granddaughter cut back our one perennial flower bed and pulled up our marigolds on Labor day.  The perennial bed's plants have grown back to about 4" tall and are green and one had a bloom.   I looked really close in the marigold planter and there was a tiny (half inch tall? :smileysurprised:  ) marigold plant that must have grown from seed (my mom calls such plants "volunteers") and it had a remarkably tiny bloom on it!  WOW!  I have never seen a plant / bloom so small.  Wish that I would have taken a picture of it!

I had a hanging basket of impatiens this year near where my wife parks her Jeep. It sure didn't like the 90+ degree temps this year as most impatiens hate the heat. It got real spindly and went to seed. Pretty soon there were tiny little impatiens growing all through the gravel beside, and under, her Jeep. And they were all blooming red even though less than an inch tall. Must have been a weird weather year since flowering plants went into the "survival of the species" mode.

After a cold/frosty week, with almost an inch of rain & 40-50 mph winds Tues, we are heading into another short burst of "Indian Summer". Temps will be in the mid-60's the next couple days with plenty of sun. Nice. :smileyhappy:

But it sure isn't going to last long with a combination of rain/snow flurries come Thurs & Fri of Thanksgiving weekend. :smileysad:

Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday
Partly Cloudy
54° F | 38° F
Partly Cloudy
63° F | 49° F
Mostly Cloudy
65° F | 52° F
Chance of Rain
58° F | 40° F
Chance of Rain
45° F | 34° F
Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Mostly Cloudy Chance of Rain
70% chance of precipitation
Chance of Rain
50% chance of precipitation

110 of 2,356 (899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2010 8:38:54 AM
(0)
Expert

We'll be close to 80 today, but was in the 40's a few nights ago.

Expecting an Arctic blast by Thanksgiving and the coldest yet.  :smileymad:

Haven't tried planting Pansies for winter because it's just been too warm.  Periwinkles in pots are flourishing! 

Would loved to have seen that photo of the Impatiens in the gravel. :smileyhappy:

111 of 2,356 (974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2010 8:50:08 AM
(0)
Professor

112 of 2,356 (969 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2010 8:15:12 PM
(0)
Guru

Go here for a summary of Wisconsin weather!  :smileyhappy:

docbombay

"Everything should be made as simple as possible--but not simpler."
--Albert Einstein

113 of 2,356 (945 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2010 7:12:19 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Nov 21, 2010 at 7:12:51 PM

Unbelievably....our high reading today was 74.1 degrees.  We're about 20 miles east of Kansas City right on I-70.  Then the cold front moved in from the NW and right now....9:11 PM....it is 48.2 degrees out there.

Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation. ......Henry A. Kissinger

[ Edited ]
114 of 2,356 (915 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2010 7:57:26 PM
(0)
Expert

It was in the low 80's today in Houston!  Have had the A/C on for past 2 nights.  Guess that Arctic front is going to be a few days late, now predicted to hit Fri. with temps near freezing (probably will freeze here), and freezing Sat. night. :smileymad:

115 of 2,356 (904 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 1:52:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

We received 8 tenths of an inch of rain last night - the biggest rainfall in 4 months!  We may get 1-3 inches of rain tomorrow and Thanksgiving.  When it rains, it pours, I guess. :smileywink:

116 of 2,356 (881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 3:15:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Low last night....26.2 degrees.  High today....only 42.2.   Right now it is 36.8 deg. at 5:14 PM and headed for the teens tonight under clear skies.

117 of 2,356 (871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 3:19:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

spd2demun wrote:

It was in the low 80's today in Houston!  Have had the A/C on for past 2 nights.  Guess that Arctic front is going to be a few days late, now predicted to hit Fri. with temps near freezing (probably will freeze here), and freezing Sat. night. :smileymad:

There's something not right about buying Thanksgiving fixins whilst wearing shorts.

118 of 2,356 (865 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 3:27:32 PM
(0)
Professor

Yesterday was near 70 then the cold front blew though, strong thunderstorms even a couple of tornados west of here, got three quarters of an inch of rain. Today only in the 30's, chance of rain and snow showers tomorrow and possible freezing drizzle on Thanksgiving. :smileymad:

These up and down temperatures are wreaking on my sinuses. I love it here. :smileysad:

119 of 2,356 (858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2010 3:32:56 PM
(0)
Professor

skeeterintexas wrote:

spd2demun wrote:

There's something not right about buying Thanksgiving fixins whilst wearing shorts.

I've been having dreams about decorating a palm tree with ornaments and Christmas lights.

120 of 2,356 (855 Views)