Posted Feb 18, 2012
8:59:11 AM
Yay Nascar is back!!!

Bud Shootout tonight, twin quailifiers on Thursday, and the big bad Dantona 500 next Sunday!!

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Yay Nascar is back!!!

47 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(47)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 18, 2012 10:13:42 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Been watching practice all morning.  Glad to have it back. Go Jr.!

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Yay Nascar is back!!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 18, 2012 1:32:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Glad it's back, filling my 1216 up w/all practices Fri (shootout practice)/Sat (actually 500 practice), Nascar Lives.

My long time favorite is Jeff Gordon, recent favorite Carl Edwards. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 21, 2012 7:40:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

re: Bud Shootout.  Jeff Gordon must have thought that he was racing at Anderson Speedway or the Indianapolis Speedrome.  Kind of bull hockey type of move, trying to get Shrub out of the way but for once, he got caught up in his own mess.  Glad that he's okay.  Shrub seems to be the man, at least on Saturday night - from a Jack to a King.

I finished watching the ARCA race, Sunday night, on DVR.  That is a scary race - as there were 24 newcomers to Daytona.  :smileysurprised:  Luckilly no injuries (or worse, thinking about Slick Johnson).  At any rate, as good as the Shootout as Bobby Gearhart who wins more often at Daytona than not, came from fifth to first in less than a 1000 feet, as folks were running out of gas and checking up.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 21, 2012 7:18:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Got my DVR set for the Twin 125s, is NASCAR or Speed network going to be streaming them this year?  I'm on chat support at work so I can watch them on my 2nd computer.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2012 8:08:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

The last two years I have been able to work from home, on Thursday's when the Duals were on (:smileywink: seriously :smileywink:) but I'll have to be here, tomorrow.  I can either try to checkout Raceview or ESPN's tracker on my smartphone OR try not to here any results and watch it on DVR.

I hope that he's not right but Regan Smith predicted lots of carnage, this weekend.  I hate to say it but the two car tandems might be safer than pack racing and the "Big One(s)". :smileysurprised:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 22, 2012 12:09:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Just a quick note, the Original Air Date has been wrong for Sprint Cup races on Fox, if the series is set for first-run only, change it to first-run and re-runs and will pick them up automatically.  It will not pickup the re-runs on Speed and no re-runs on local Fox channel.

Watching the Duels 2d practice before I go to work. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 23, 2012 8:21:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

mibrnsurg wrote:

Just a quick note, the Original Air Date has been wrong for Sprint Cup races on Fox, if the series is set for first-run only, change it to first-run and re-runs and will pick them up automatically.  It will not pickup the re-runs on Speed and no re-runs on local Fox channel.

Watching the Duels 2d practice before I go to work. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Thanks!  I thought that I had checked those, last weekend.  Maybe not.  I sent Alex this PM.

Alex, Chris has pointed out that NASCAR Sprint Cup dates for local FOX stations are wrong.  Anyone who thought that their setup from last season, who had "first run only," will not have races record this year.

This Sunday's Daytona 500 (Feb 26, 2012) has an OAD of 2/20/2011, which was last year's date.  Next week's race (3/4/12) has an OAD of 2/27/2011.

Please run this issue up whatever flagpole necessary to avoid some unhappy folks.  This highlights that the Guide provider that AT&T uses is pretty bad - even if FOX sent in bad info, someone should have caught this as the Daytona 500 is one of the top 10 sporting events in the US.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 23, 2012 4:17:20 PM
(0)
Employee

Avoid having a buch of Race Fans mad at you at all costs. Really nice people any other time except when you have messed with their racing enjoyment.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 24, 2012 11:17:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

One thing they started this year was pretty cool, the ghosting comparison of cars during qualification.

It was pretty cool to see the comparison of Carl Edwards to both Jr and the Biff's path they took and where Carl was just a bit better on the track. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 24, 2012 1:07:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

mibrnsurg wrote:

One thing they started this year was pretty cool, the ghosting comparison of cars during qualification.

It was pretty cool to see the comparison of Carl Edwards to both Jr and the Biff's path they took and where Carl was just a bit better on the track. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

I used to have a Playstation (one / first itiration) and a rally game.  That also had a ghosting playback feature, where you could comparew your two laps. 

Nice for qualifying but it could also be used for looking at lines around the track, during the race.  Cool.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 24, 2012 4:53:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Did you see who has the pole for tomorrows Nationwide race,  Go Daddy Danica, best of 49 cars!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 25, 2012 4:50:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Too bad she crashed after the 88 bumped her and ended up 38 laps behind in 37th when she came back out.   It was pretty crash-filled and have to think we will see similar happenings in the 500 tomorrow. :smileywink:

Chris

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 25, 2012 4:58:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dhascall wrote:

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

I used to have a Playstation (one / first itiration) and a rally game.  That also had a ghosting playback feature, where you could comparew your two laps. 

Nice for qualifying but it could also be used for looking at lines around the track, during the race.  Cool.

Unluckily it was done by 1 camera that followed each qualifier around the whole track on the same tracking each time.  There would no way to be able to do that during the race as it would look like mess w/more than 2 cars. 

Also, I'd say the exec. producer and director would not do that and tie up that 1 camera, as it regularly provides a certain video viewpoint in the race. :smileywink:

Chris

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 26, 2012 7:17:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I don't think the 500 will be as crash filled, not nearly as many rookies racing today as yesterday.  The duals were pretty uneventful and I think the 500 will be the same.  It's pretty bad to get taken out by your own teammate.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 26, 2012 3:11:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

mibrnsurg wrote:

Too bad she crashed after the 88 bumped her and ended up 38 laps behind in 37th when she came back out.   It was pretty crash-filled and have to think we will see similar happenings in the 500 tomorrow. :smileywink:

Chris

She also learned a hard lesson (as Dale Jarrett pointed out, too) - don't try to save / drive through a spin, at a high banked track.  Lock the wheels to the left and keep the brakes down.  She would have burned up all four tires and maybe banged the splitter up but she would have still been on the lead lap.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 26, 2012 3:20:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dhascall wrote:

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

She also learned a hard lesson (as Dale Jarrett pointed out, too) - don't try to save / drive through a spin, at a high banked track.  Lock the wheels to the left and keep the brakes down.  She would have burned up all four tires and maybe banged the splitter up but she would have still been on the lead lap.  

She might know that now (if she came up normally thru Nascar, she would've learned it long ago) and can use it Monday at 12noon ET when the race might start; although the same type of weather is being forecast for then. :smileysad:

Chris

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 26, 2012 3:24:26 PM
(0)
Expert

dhascall wrote:

You can't blame her for that, though.  She's an IndyCar driver.

If you lock the wheels to the left and keep the brakes down in an IndyCar, you quickly take your open-wheeled car airborne and die. :smileysurprised:

This is primarily why I watch IndyCar and never watch Nascar.  Driving open-wheeled cars is dangerous.  You actually have to have a high level of racing skill to prevent injury or death.  No skill at all is required to drive Nascar.  (Skill is required to win, but not to drive.)  I (or anyone else) could drive a Nascar in a race.  I would come in last, but I could do it.  If I attempted to do so in an open-wheeled car, I'd be in the hospital.

Any racing where you and the guy next to you can just bump each other all the time while going down the track isn't racing, it's just a glorified demolition derby.  I can get the same level of entertainment watching WWE.  It's like calling professional bowlers "athletes".  I could go on.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 26, 2012 5:53:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

dhascall wrote:

If you lock the wheels to the left and keep the brakes down in an IndyCar, you quickly take your open-wheeled car airborne and die. :smileysurprised:

This is primarily why I watch IndyCar and never watch Nascar.  Driving open-wheeled cars is dangerous.  You actually have to have a high level of racing skill to prevent injury or death.  No skill at all is required to drive Nascar.  (Skill is required to win, but not to drive.)  I (or anyone else) could drive a Nascar in a race.  I would come in last, but I could do it.  If I attempted to do so in an open-wheeled car, I'd be in the hospital.

Any racing where you and the guy next to you can just bump each other all the time while going down the track isn't racing, it's just a glorified demolition derby.  I can get the same level of entertainment watching WWE.  It's like calling professional bowlers "athletes".  I could go on.

We'll agree to disagree. Drivers are athletes IMO,  anyone that can wrestle a 3500 car around a track at 180+ for 4 hrs, that takes skill.  Being able to drive three inches from a wall at 180+ MPH, takes skill.  Most people do not have the skill to drive a Stock car in a race, driving your daily driver and a stock car are two totally different beasts.  While I don't discount IRL, they have computers that do a lot for them and to have a NOS like boost to pass another car..... I still watch Indy and F1 and just about anything that has a motor and they race it, but NASCAR is my 1st passion.  I was at Alan Kulwicki's last race in Darlington in 1993.  He was killed the following week in a plane wreck heading into Bristol.  I had been to 4 other races at Darlington before that.  Twice a year for two years.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 26, 2012 6:57:02 PM
(0)
Expert

oufanindallas wrote:

We'll agree to disagree. Drivers are athletes IMO,  anyone that can wrestle a 3500 car around a track at 180+ for 4 hrs, that takes skill.  Being able to drive three inches from a wall at 180+ MPH, takes skill.  Most people do not have the skill to drive a Stock car in a race, driving your daily driver and a stock car are two totally different beasts.  While I don't discount IRL, they have computers that do a lot for them and to have a NOS like boost to pass another car.....

Wrestling the 3500 lb car around the track for 4 hours takes strength and endurance, not skill. :smileywink: 

I will agree with you that most people couldn't drive a stock car in a race.  But it's because they don't have the strength and endurance required (myself included).  Getting that requires an exercise and weightlfting program.  That isn't enough, though, for an open-wheeled racing car.

Driving 3 inches from the wall at 180 MPH takes some skill.  The consequence of screwing that up in open-wheeled racing is an immediate loss of control of the race car, a crash, disintegration of the entire car, and possible injury.  The consequence of screwing that up in Nascar is a door dent and a loss of position.  :smileyindifferent:

You're absolutely right that we'll have to agree to disagree. :smileyhappy:  To me, there's just nothing like IndyCar, F1, etc.

I will say that there are things I'm not crazy about in open-wheeled racing, particularly F1.  F1's rules favor the teams with a huge amount of money, and the amount of computerization and things like active aerodynamics and active suspensions have taken away from driver skill.  IndyCar has a lot less of this, but the push-to-pass is a bit gimmicky.  However, it's not NOS-based, it just tells the engine control computer to briefly allow a higher amount of horsepower.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2012 3:06:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I will say that there are things I'm not crazy about in open-wheeled racing, particularly F1.  F1's rules favor the teams with a huge amount of money, and the amount of computerization and things like active aerodynamics and active suspensions have taken away from driver skill.  IndyCar has a lot less of this, but the push-to-pass is a bit gimmicky.  However, it's not NOS-based, it just tells the engine control computer to briefly allow a higher amount of horsepower.

I know it's not NOS based, I said NOS like. 

As for F1, that is true about the teams with the most money.  I got interested in F1 when I was stationed in Italy from 95-98 and have watched it off and on ever since.  Memorial weekend Sunday is the greatest racing day all year.  Monaco Grand Prix, Indy 500 and the Coca Cola 600,  1261+ miles of racing on a single day.  I probably won't go this year, but next year I'm planning on going to Austin to check out the F1 race in person.  Starting next year Circuit of the Americas will be hosting F1, World Grand Prix Motorcycle and Austrialian V8 Super Cars. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2012 6:16:44 AM
(0)
Expert
Ya, I wish we could get more F1 and other types of coverage of world events. It seems that those races don't draw enough audience here in the US to make the TV coverage worth it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2012 9:30:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Speed network usually has the races on.  There just aren't that many races that are on at a good time to watch.  Hopefully this year with Austin, TX and next year with Austin and New Jersey having a race, more people will become interested in the sport.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2012 11:06:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

dhascall wrote:

Sorry but I have to disagree.  Keeping the wheels turned to the left,while spinning, or at least where they are, on an oval  AFAIK, is racing school 101.  Indy car, pavement sprint car, stock car and so on.  It doesn't matter.  Cranking a car to the right, just isn't going to end well.  Flipping over in a spin, may have happened years ago, before they made cars meet left side weight maximums / right side wide minimums.

I'm sure that Danica has heard about Grapevine, Texas driver Gordon Smiley and his 1982 crash.  This video is not foir the faint of heart.  His car got lose and he tried to drive through it by turning right.  I was not at the track that day - I was going to a stock car race (ASA) that night at Indianapolis Raceway Park.  Danny Sullivan, on the other hand did not turn the car to the driver's right and the result was much better - in fact he won.  Good ol' spin and win, Danny.  Danny's deal happened about 300' in front of me.

At any rate, she is getting better and the guy that made her spin (Cole Whitt) is only in his second year of NASCAR, too.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2012 11:24:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:
Ya, I wish we could get more F1 and other types of coverage of world events. It seems that those races don't draw enough audience here in the US to make the TV coverage worth it.

Agreed.  Would love to see more worldwide racing.  ESPN, and others used to fill gaps with WSC, rally and such.  Don't see those like in the past.  I liked IMSA and Trans-am too.  Heck, Speed used to show CASCAR, before NASCAR took it over as the Canadian Tire series.  ESPN2 showed many ASA races live, including a 400 alpper from my old stompong grounds,

Do you remember TNN and the American Motorsports Cavalcade?  They had some legit racing and some off the wall stuff (mud bogs).  Different times. 

Australian V8 supercars?  If Austin doesn't get built, I vote for the roadcourse @ Indy!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2012 12:25:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Australian V8 supercars?  If Austin doesn't get built, I vote for the roadcourse @ Indy!

The track is getting built and is quite aways along.  Should be a fun track,  watching bikes on that track will be lots of fun with the blind downhill curves

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2012 12:48:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

The track is getting built and is quite aways along.  Should be a fun track,  watching bikes on that track will be lots of fun with the blind downhill curves

I'm glad it is.  The ;last that I heard was that Bernie was trying to extricate some more money from the organizers (or organisers, if you want Bernie's British, lol).

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2012 1:38:29 PM
(0)
Expert
The big problem with open-wheeled cars like IndyCars vs. Nascars is the aero bodywork and associated downforce. An IndyCar is really just a flying wing. If it gets backwards, all downforce is lost and it'll easily go airborne. This can happen with Nascar vehicles too under the right conditions but it's much more rare.

I watch almost all IndyCar races and someone goes flying at least 4-6 times per year. Dan Wheldon was killed in the final race last year predominantly because he went airborne and struck the catch fence. Had his car stayed on the ground he probably would have been OK.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2012 2:11:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

SomeJoe7777 wrote:
The big problem with open-wheeled cars like IndyCars vs. Nascars is the aero bodywork and associated downforce. An IndyCar is really just a flying wing. If it gets backwards, all downforce is lost and it'll easily go airborne. This can happen with Nascar vehicles too under the right conditions but it's much more rare.

I watch almost all IndyCar races and someone goes flying at least 4-6 times per year. Dan Wheldon was killed in the final race last year predominantly because he went airborne and struck the catch fence. Had his car stayed on the ground he probably would have been OK.

Hopefully the new champ cars will not be as easy to flip.  True enough about Dan.  Gordon Smiley also had massive head injuries due to the fence.

Speaking of old Champ / Indy/ IRL cars - there must be at least a hundred good, unmolested tubs, from the prior seasons.  Wonder if someone might start a series by slapping a spec V8 engine in the old cars, making it like the old Formula 5000, Aurora (British F1) series?  That would be cool. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2012 8:30:45 PM
(0)
Master

Can the Daytona 500 get any more bizarre??

(AP photo)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;_ylt=Ag9yCOGPFaN0T8EavZgCH_TTv7YF?slug=ap-nascar-daytona500-fire

Luckily no one was hurt when Montoya's car slammed into the back of a jet dryer.

The race seemed strange enough when delayed until Mon for the 1st time ever. Then Jimmy Johnson/others crashed on the 2nd lap and Jeff Gordon blew an engine. Hope the last 40 laps (100 miles) which is about to restart after a 2 hour delay goes smoother.