Posted Oct 25, 2011
12:44:02 PM
View profile
UVerse Motorola NVG510 Router Port Forwarding

So... I've looked all over the net, including the Motorola site, here on AT&T, and Youtube, and found the same few scant pages of anyone that knows anything about, or has, an NVG510 router/modem hybrid like I do, which does not even have a public instruction manual currently.

I do not know how to use the current 192.168.1.254 router configuration page to setup port forwarding. All I'm trying to do is set up the simple freeware HFS http fileserver app so I can link people to some files like pics and stuff easily when I'm explaining things online, but they can't connect to the IP, because I'm "behind a firewall". I've added the app as an exception already, so the issue is this port forwarding. I had it resolved with the old speedstream modem and linksys combo I had, but I've been upgraded to a DSLAM (?) here, and it undid all my progress and now all the configuration pages are different, and I don't know what numbers to put where. I know how to pull up my ipconfig /all info but I'm not sure what info needs to go where.

Does anyone know how to simply set up port forwarding so I can just get access to regular port 80 style http connection/app that doesn't seem to have any required specific port of its own, for the NVG510, please? I'm using WinXP SP3. Thanks for any help. -J

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jun 23, 2012 3:37:55 PM
(0)
Teacher

Mine isn't perfect and I don't know that much about it, BUT, I did figure out how to port forward my NVG-510, and I made a Youtube video, for anyone interested. Thanks again for all the help here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HID5Awig00o

Accepted Solution

UVerse Motorola NVG510 Router Port Forwarding

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 2:05:06 PM
(0)
Contributor
Turns out its not too dissimilar to the 2wire:
1. on the routers webpage (192.168.1.254) click firewall -->packet filter
2. add your ports and *note the name you give each entry
3. click firewall --> NAT/ Gaming
4. scroll down to the port names you created and allocate the port to the device (LAN computer IP address)

Re: UVerse Motorola NVG510 Router Port Forwarding

2 of 9 (168,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2011 10:14:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thank you for your reply, I follow you but some of the options are not available that you state. 

There is nowhere in Firewall>Packet Filters to enter a name for each port I set up. There is:

None  TCP UDP                

ActionDrop Pass
Source IP Address Range
Destination IP Address Range
Protocol ICMP 
Source Port
Destination Port

ICMP Type

And I still do not know what to add in these places. Say my normal IP is 111.222.333.444 and the port I'm wanting to "open" to access is 1010. What do I put, and where? Thank you for your reply.

3 of 9 (167,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 10:27:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

I had the same problem, I contacted motorola and the gave me this info. It helped me,Hope it can help you.

sorry i could not include the photos.

NVG510: Port Forwarding Setup
Published 05/19/2011 12:02 PM   |    Updated 11/04/2011 04:18 PM

How do I configure port forwarding in my NVG510?

NOTE: This document applies to firmware version 9.0.6h0d34 and later.

The NAT (Network Address Translation) feature allows multiple devices connected to the NVG510 to have access to the Internet.  With NAT enabled, no inbound traffic is forwarded to any device connected to the NVG510 by default.  As a result, none of those devices in the network are remotely accessible.  To allow remote access to a device in the network, port forwarding must be configured in the gateway. 

Port forwarding can be setup in the NVG510 to allow inbound traffic to specified devices through NAT by enabling Services in the NAT/Gaming feature.  Some services are predefined or be manually configured through Custom Services.  This will allow those devices to be remotely accessible when configured correctly.  This setup is ideal for hosting softwares, online gaming and VoIP (Voice over IP).  This document describes how to forward port for Timbuktu service as an example; however, the same process can be used to support other applications or services.

This document contains the following sections:

• Enable Service
  • Enable Custom Service
  • Remove Service

NOTE 1: These devices will be accessible from the LAN (Local Area Network), but only using the internal private IP address.  Access via the public IP address is not supported from a local connection.

NOTE 2: It is recommended to manually configure the TCP/IP settings on the server(s) that will be accessed remotely.  When configuring these settings, please include the following:

• IP address
  • Subnet mask
  • Default gateway
  • At least one DNS address

NOTE 3: If the TCP/IP settings are configured without the default gateway, remote access to the server will not be available, as it will only be accessible from the local network.

Enable Service
  1. Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari.  Enter http://192.168.1.254 into the address box, and press the Enter key.  The Status page appears.

NOTE: By default the LAN IP address is 192.168.1.254.  If the default address has been changed, enter the custom address in the address box.

If this is the first time accessing the gateway, refer to Answer # 21967 - NVG510: GUI Access.

2. Click the Firewall link from the top menu.  The Firewall page appears. 
  3. Click the NAT/Gaming sub-menu link.  The NAT/Gaming page appears. 

NOTE: If the Access Code Required page appears, enter the Device Access Code printed on the yellow label on the side of the NVG510 and click the Continue button.

4. On the NAT/Gaming page:
    a.   Services - Click the drop-down tab to check if the desired service is in the list.  This example uses Timbuktu as a predefined service.

NOTE: If the service is not listed, refer to step 5 in the Enable Custom Service section to add the service(s).

b.   Needed by device - Click on the drop-down tab, and select the device that will be hosting this service.
    c.   Click the Add button.

NOTE: A restart is not required, as the settings will immediately go into effect.

Enable Custom Service
  1. Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari.  Enter http://192.168.1.254 into the address box and press the Enter key.  The Status page appears.

NOTE: By default the LAN IP address is 192.168.1.254.  If the default address has been changed, enter the custom address in the address box.

If this is the first time accessing the gateway, refer to Answer # 21967 - NVG510: GUI Access.

2. Click the Firewall link from the top menu.  The Firewall page appears. 
  3. Click the NAT/Gaming sub-menu link.  The NAT/Gaming page appears. 
  4. Click the Custom Services button.  The Custom Services page appears.
  5. On the Custom Services page:
    a.   Service Name - Type in a desired name to define the service.
    b.   Global Port Range - Type in the ports in both boxes, on which incoming traffic will be received.

NOTE: The example below shows how to create an entry for a single port.  When using a range of ports, enter the first port in the left box and the last port in the right box.

c.   Base Host Port - Type in the starting port range.
    d.   Protocol - Click the drop-down tab, and select TCPUDP, or Both.  If it is not known which protocol is used for the service, select Both.
    e.   Click the Add button.

6. Click the Return to NAT/Gaming button.

7. On the NAT/Gaming page:
    a.   Service - Click on the drop-down tab, and select the desired service.

NOTE: The custom services created starts with an asterisk.

4 of 9 (166,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 29, 2012 10:43:39 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hey i have done all the steps but when i go to add my game it says ( port range conflicts with reserved port (7547) )

does anyone know how i can fix this? i have no idead what reserved port 7547 is -_-

5 of 9 (161,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2012 3:05:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

Setting Up Port Forwarding for the Motorola NVG510 Modem/Router

Replacing existing modem/router combinations by AT&T Uverse, since roughly Aug. 2011

I got switched over to AT&T's “Uverse” service sometime in 2011, and in this process, they changed my from AT&T High Speed DSL to this new fangled thing, that uses a “DSLAM” protocol, an acronym for Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexor.

I don't know much beyond that or care why it's called that, and as far as I'm concerned, as a customer, all I know is, from what an AT&T tech guy that works this area has told me, they have started moving and replacing all current DSL subscribers, converting everything to this new DSLAM, which is an entirely separate setup inside each phone terminal building (like the one here in town).

The general idea is, when you have AT&T internet service, and pack up and move anywhere else, even another state, when you get settled back in, if you keep your AT&T service, you can just plug back in (assuming the new place as DSLAM) and all your existing technical info and configurations will resume. The tech also said this is a large step toward phasing people like him out, but I digress.

So... I've looked all over the net, including the Motorola site, on AT&T help and forums, and Youtube, and found the same few scant pages of anyone that knows anything about, or has, an NVG510 router/modem hybrid like I do, which does not even have a public instruction manual currently.

I did not know how to use the current router configuration page (192.168.1.254) to setup port forwarding. All I was trying to do was set up the simple freeware HFS http fileserver app so I could link people to some files like pics and stuff easily when I'm explaining things online. But with what I had tried, they couldn't connect to the IP, because I'm "behind a firewall".

I had added the app as an exception already, so the issue is this port forwarding. I had it resolved with my old Speedstream modem and Linksys combo I had, but this DSLAM changed everything, the modem configuration is all different, and I didn't know what numbers to put where. Finally, I called AT&T and after over an hour of “we detected problems on your line” and “there are no problems on your line” and “it is a drop in data somewhere in our line in your neighborhood”, they finally decided on “we're sending a tech out”.

Apparently the last option was the best because by the time he got here, I couldn't even get into my own modem configuration page, though he hooked into my computer with his laptop and could access it, so he went out and got another modem for me to hook up – it worked. He told me that was the first NVG510 he had known of that had gone bad. Lucky me.

My computer is an AMD 2.0 Mhz dual core Socket 939 PC, running Windows XP SP3, updated 2012.

From what I have gleaned, there are some steps prior to the deeper configuration that may need to be used in some cases, so I'll touch on those now. You may need to use none, one, some, or all, to resolve your issues.

1. Windows Firewall Configuration

This appears as a small icons below the actual three highlighted and crisp looking option bars (Firewall, Automatic Updates and Virus Protection), along with Internet Options and Automatic Updates. Why these things are arranged so haphazardly is anyone's guess.

Control Panel > Security Center > Windows Firewall

1A. Windows Firewall – General Tab

This is generally not recommended, but in some cases, it might help provide you with an idea of whether the Firewall or something else is your problem, by temporarily disabling the Firewall.

1B. Windows Firewall – Advanced Tab

All your network connections will be listed, with a filled checkbox for each where Windows Firewall is active. Simply uncheck your connection where you want to temporarily disable Windows Firewall.

1C. Windows Firewall – Exceptions Tab

This is something that should probably automatically occur when you try to run your chosen application, but just in case it doesn't, in this tab, you can enter a specific exception for an application, which will not be included in the Windows Firewall protection. There are two main options here:

1C-I. Add Port – While this could be needed, it usually isn't, and there isn't much to it to figure out, as it only takes one specific port, not a range, so you'd need to have a specific port that your application is specified to use, for this to work.

1C-II. Add Program – This will bring up a list of installed programs. Scroll to your desired application, if it is listed, and select it, or click Browse, to manually locate it, usually the .exe file within your current Windows user's Program Files folder, where most programs are installed. You may click the “Change scope...” button before clicking “OK” once you have your chosen app, but it generally would be on “Any computer”. Once you have added your program to the exceptions list, and it is checked, click OK and leave the Windows Firewall configuration, Security Center and Control Panel.

2. NVG510 Configuration Page

In a browser address bar or Windows Explorer, go to: 192.168.1.254

This brings up your NVG510 configuration page, with a ton of options and information. Just concentrate on what you need, and ignore everything else for this task. What you're going to be doing is manually adding a port or port range in the NAT/Gaming section, which, when accessed by other PCs on the net, will redirect to your proper IP to allow connection, rather than to your internal IP, which isn't a valid way for external connections to communicate with your computer. So to get started, click on “Firewall” on the menu bar between “Voice” and “Diagnostics”.

You may be asked for your Device Access Code to view or change your configuration – it is displayed on a label on the side of your NVG510.

While there are many options in your modem, the only ones you normally need to change are: only pages you really need are:

Firewall > NAT/Gaming > Hosted Applications

Firewall > NAT/Gaming > Custom Services > Service List.

2A. Firewall > NAT/Gaming > Hosted Applications

Initially, this top area will be blank, but will later display a list of the port forwarded applications you add. Below it are the preloaded default applications, such as AIM. Scroll through this list and choose the “Add” button. If your application is not on this list, you will need to choose the “Custom Services” button, which takes you to 2B.

2B. Firewall > NAT/Gaming > Custom Services > Service List

This top area will also be blank, but will also later display any custom applications you add (such as my HFS). Service Name is whatever you want to call the application, that you can easily identify, and the Global Port Range can be either an actual range of two different numbers, such as 70 to 1000, or the same number, such as 81 and 81. Base Host Port will then be one specific port number that you plan on using, ideally, to connect with your application. Protocol is generally best left as “Both”.

For my own purposes, I was able to add my freeware fileserver, HFS, via the following:

– Service Name: HFS

– Global Port Range: 81 – 81

– Base Host Port – 81

– Protocol – 81

– Click “Add”

– Click“Return to NAT/Gaming”, which took me back to 2A

Once back there, I went BACK into the list of Hosted Application, which NOW contained my newly added custom application, HFS, which is preceded with an asterisk (*), and selected it, and clicked “Add”.

Now there is a list of the custom services in both the Custom and Hosted Applications lists, containing my added application, and the same will be true for yours. The main trouble I had when adding an item was when using a port range, as I tended to get conflicts with ports that were in use, like in the 7000's range, or port 80, that many other applications, such as Skype, typically use, which is why I just went up by one digit, as HFS allows me to specify the exact port number to use for connection.

These steps SHOULD allow you to connect, or allow other computers to connect to you, using your chosen application, via your forwarded port, for the Motorola NVG510. If not, try to look around on the net some more, but also consider the possibility that your unit may have issues like mine did.

-JP

6 of 9 (157,947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2012 3:06:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

The port 7547 is reserved for remote configuration of the RG, hence you get the message

7 of 9 (156,987 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2012 5:00:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

I want to do the same this is what I did look for Cascaded Router Enable and enable it done cya.............

DHCP server functionality enables the device to assign a "private" IP address and other parameters that allow network communication to your LAN devices. This feature simplifies network administration because the device maintains a list of IP address assignments.

Device IP Address: Specifies the LAN IPv4 address of the device itself.

Subnet Mask: Specifies the common Class C subnet.

DHCPv4 Start Address: Specifies the first address in the DHCP address range. You can reserve a sequence of up to 253 IP addresses within a subnet, beginning with the specified address, for dynamic assignment.

DHCPv4 End Address: Specifies the last address in the DHCP address range.

Public Subnet Enable: Using a public subnet means that IP addresses assigned to LAN clients will be public addresses.

Public IPv4 Address: The IP address of the public subnet.

Public Subnet Mask: The subnet mask of the public subnet.

DHCPv4 Start Address: Specifies the first address in the DHCP public pool.

DHCPv4 End Address: Specifies the last address in the DHCP public pool.

Primary DHCP Pool Specifies which DHCP pool will be used first for the assignment of IP addresses to connecting devices.

Cascaded Router Enable: When enabled, indicates another router will be behind this device.

Cascaded Router Address: The IP address for the router behind this device. The Cascaded Router Address should be in the LAN Private IP subnet range.

Network Address: The Network Address that defines the range of IP addresses available to clients of the cascaded router.

Subnet Mask: The subnet mask that with the Network Address defines the range of IP addresses available to clients of the cascaded router.

DHCP Lease: Specifies the default length for DHCP leases issued by the device. Enter lease time in dd:hh:mm:ss format.

8 of 9 (154,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jun 23, 2012 3:37:55 PM
(0)
Teacher

Mine isn't perfect and I don't know that much about it, BUT, I did figure out how to port forward my NVG-510, and I made a Youtube video, for anyone interested. Thanks again for all the help here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HID5Awig00o

9 of 9 (147,403 Views)
Solution