Posted Mar 21, 2012
Spam buster

I've noticed we've been hit by a spammer(s) lately for some streaming website.

I have a suggestion. Remove the capability to post external links until one is above the rank of "visitor". If they are legit and need to post a screen shot for support purposes they can use the Gallery or they can still post a link as long as it points to an  AT&T domain. That would close the loophole and save the time required for moderators to deal with deleting them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Spam buster

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 26, 2012
(0)

We used to get nailed by Aiseesoft spammers, spamming about Aiseesoift's various conversion software titles.  There would be step by step instructions, with linked photos and they were all done by one post wonders.  When they restricted image posting by opw, that stopped.

My suggestion is to make all new posters post an introductory post in a new section called "Welcome" before posting anything.  They would be then approved for posting by a CM or CL.  I believe that would reduce spammers and maybe even reduce the AT&T haters.  Nothing wrong with AT&T hating when there are specific issues and not just "corporate greed," "bad customer service" and"monopoly" discussions.  I still welcome posters who tell what is wrong with U-Verse but I can usually spot the fake complainers.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Spam buster

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 31, 2012
(0)

Well. apparently they're too busy stopping us from using a word that describes dried beef to actually do something about a spammer dropping links for probably copyright infringing materials.:smileysad::smileymad:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 31, 2012
(0)

Computer-Joe wrote:

Well. apparently they're too busy stopping us from using a word that describes dried beef to actually do something about a spammer dropping links for probably copyright infringing materials.:smileysad::smileymad:

Hi Computer-Joe,

That is actually not the case.  We are reviewing methods which will alleviate the problem while causing the least amount of impact to the new members.

Thanks.

Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 31, 2012
(0)

Thanks for the progress report.

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 31, 2012
(0)

Computer-Joe wrote:

I totally appreciate that they won't let me call MYSELF and i di ot.  :smileyfrustrated:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 9, 2012
(0)

Then there is the former ASA and NASCAR driver "Richard" Trickle.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 19, 2012
(0)

Phil-101 wrote:

That is actually not the case.  We are reviewing methods which will alleviate the problem while causing the least amount of impact to the new members.

Thanks.

Still reviewing? Was my suggestion too hard to implement?

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 12, 2012
(0)

Well, they're still here.  [link to topic removed] and they getting more deceptive.

Is this problem that difficult to remedy?

Maybe we should all just DDOS this clowns servers.

neon_sign.jpg

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 13, 2012
(0)

Now they're getting as bad as email spam with randomly generated text strings.

No nasty letters for terapad and squarespace and the host for episodeslinks for hosting copyrighted materials?

How about blacklisting the domains on AT&T's DNS?

They're worried about minimal impact on users. I just wish they would have had that attitude when they went after the 2% who used too much bandwidth.

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 15, 2012
(0)

Thanks for the feedback regarding spam handling on the forums. Spammers are an unfortunate part of any online experience and our goal is to address the spam without negatively impacting our community members. 

Spam posts are identified and remove relatively quickly however if you come across something you feel should be addressed, please utilize the "Report Inappropriate Content" function in the dropdown of each post. This is the most effective way for us to track and address all content that needs attention. 

~jam

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.