09-15-2011 02:36:37 PM
I was wondering before I have someone come out, if anyone else is having problem with AT&T U-verse. For the past week our TV has sometimes skipped and froze for a while and the internet has been really slow lately. Just an hour ago the box (receiver) just reset it's self and it froze the TV's, and cut off someone on the phone. Should I have someone come out or just wait? Thank you.
09-15-2011 02:41:57 PM - edited 09-15-2011 02:42:43 PM
Have you reset the RG?
It might not help but CS is going to ask you to do that if you call in.
09-15-2011 02:48:40 PM
Try as skeeter suggested first, if you still have issues download and run the Uverse Realtime app here:
http://www.uvrealtime.com/ . Post results for error table, bitload graph, coax / hpna, and IP profile. Someone will be along to check the stats and advise.
09-16-2011 08:59:26 AM
I am having the same issues, but seemingly only in the evening?
09-16-2011 06:03:24 PM
The error table indicates you're getting a lot of disconnects, possibly due to interference on the line or a bridge tap.
You should contact tier 2 and have them send a senior tech that can look for and eliminate these sources of interference. Possible sources include:
* Power line interference, such as:
* Fluorescent light ballasts
* High-intensity gas discharge lights like mercury vapor
* Grounding problems, such as improper ground at the NID, the pedestal, etc.
* Electrical system grounding problems, such as improper ground on the RG's outlet, the breaker panel, etc.
* HAM radio broadcasts in the HF band
* AM radio transmissions, such as a nearby radio station
Try to isolate any potential source of these problems and see if you can find one that eliminates the interference.
A bridge tap is an extra length of wire attached to your pair that doesn't terminate anywhere. It is usually left over from a previous customer that used your pair. Bridge taps cause problems with xDSL services.
You should call technical support, have them send a premises tech to your house to check the line. He should open a helper ticket with the Installation and Maintenance group (I&M), which are the linesmen, to come find and remove the bridge tap.
09-17-2011 01:04:21 AM - edited 09-17-2011 01:19:48 AM
What area are you in? I'm in the Los Angeles area and yes, I experience your problems plus picture freezing, audio sounds like reverb, pizelation, slow internet downloads (even @ 18mbps wired connection on Win XP, Vista & Win7 PC's) all of problems are intermittent. Unfortunately, AT&T has tried everything (I presume within the ability of prem techs, lineman, tier 2 and management) to resolve the issues to no avail, we have just learned to live with it since the 2nd installation in Feb this year.
09-17-2011 04:03:24 AM
I meant pixelation...
To briefly elaborate (keep in mind this is a summary, there is so-o much more to this story);
Issues (all intermittent): slow internet connection (I have 6 well maintained PC's with diff flavors of Windows, all have 10/100 except two have gigbit. Two HD TV's 1 standard SST and 1 w/DVR), slow download and connection speeds, STB fails to respond to remote (both boxes), audio problems, dropout and reverb, video glitches, signal loss up to 10 Secs, blue screen on power up...
What we have tried: Had U-verse from May 6-Dec 24, 2010; TWC Nov 27-Dec 6 to compare services; switched to TWC Dec 23, 2010-Feb 13, 2011; dropped TWC and returned to AT&TFeb 12, 2011. Liked AT&T's programming & pricing so I came back.
- During the time with AT&T we have had 22 AT&T personnel including 4 managers come to our place.
- They have tried wire taps and removing them, attenuators and removing them, replaced all of the Ethernet wires, two 3800 RG's, two 3801's, replaced both STB, replaced cat3 with cat5e; lowering the signal and capping the profile, moved the RG from bedroom to office isolating all equipment with Isobar's; I spend nearly a week isolation troubleshooting to assist in the process.
- We have ensured that all drivers and service packs are up-to-date; tried various speeds 3, 6, 12 & Mbps except for speed test results all seem to function the same.
- Have used vtrace, UV realtime, traceroutes and other tools to see if it helps.
- I have talked to at least 30 csr's and 15 people in billing kudos to this group spent countless hours on the phone being xferred from one dept to another, they eventually take care of you. Be persistent, courteous and patient.
- Complaint: called 8-26-11 to complain about continued services issues, the CSR promised to send a new 3801 rg "free of charge" and that I could expect delivery in 4 biz days; waiting til the sixth day called to follow-up was told the order had been placed but was canceled the major prob here is No one informed us about the cancellation. I called back and was informed the order had been placed but was cancelled, the CSR did confirm that he could see problems on my line.
Suspecting it was the area manager who cancelled the order, I decided to send a letter to Executive offices in Dallas, 9/8/201. No response from them yet.
09-17-2011 07:01:13 AM
Thanks for the information. Sadly, it has only been for the last few weeks, and I cannot think of anything that has changed, unless they did something to the lines out at the street where they feed back to our houses.
They did one year disconnect our line when a nieghbor got new service (that was a debacle, they kept sending 'inside techs' saying it was in our house, eventually they sent an 'outside tech' who figured out during our neighbor's install we were disconnected).
Anywho, anyone have the best number possible to call in for help with this?
09-17-2011 01:52:34 PM
09-17-2011 03:24:50 PM
09-17-2011 05:46:09 PM
I've had U-Verse for 5 weeks now and it's been skipping and freezing from day one. I've called support and they have made a half dozen trips here and they still can't fix it. I shouldn't have to pay for a TV I can't watch without it freezing up every few minutes. I was also suppose to get a 300.00 rewards card when I signed up, the rep never put that in even though she said I was getting it. I've now decided to go back to Optimum since I can no longer deal with the incompetence. This is my last week with AT&T u-verse and I can't wait to have my old service back.
09-27-2011 07:20:11 PM
I am having issues with skipping and freezing as well. I have restarted the RG and all of our receivers, but it has not corrected the problem. Can someone take a look at these screen shots and give me a reccommendation? Thanks.
09-27-2011 07:42:37 PM
Please also post the Bitloading and Coax/HPNA tabs.
10-22-2011 06:13:44 AM
A tech came out 2 weeks ago, replaced a splitter in the attic and tighened the connections.
It was better for aout 10 days. Now it is hard to watch a show or stay online for more than 30 minutes. It seems worse when the DVR is recording.
I have contacted David's group. I'll post any updates.
11-28-2011 08:15:09 PM
Your stats are showing several issues. I suggest you call ts and have the csr run a test on your service. Request that a tech be sent out to check your installation.
11-30-2011 06:53:20 AM
Yes - we have been having the same freezing problems since June. We have spent hundreds of hours trying to work with every branch of AT&T of who don't communicate with each other and typically blame the other division for their lack or expertise.
We're on our 4th modem, had every specialist in Dallas work on our freezing problems and still no solution. I spent another 2 hrs on the phone last night regarding the same issue. Another morning of waiting from 8-12 for the service truck.
11-30-2011 08:19:47 AM
If you continue to have issues, contact David who is an AT&T employee in Tier 2 Technical Support. He and his group have been successful at resolving customer issues that remain unresolved after contacting Tier 1 Technical Support.
Also, can you download and install SomeJoe's tool at the link below?
Once you install the tool, please post screenshots of the following tabs: IP/Profile, Error Table, Bitloading, & Coax/HPNA.
We can take a look at the screenshots to see if there appears to be any issues with your system.
12-01-2011 11:07:56 AM
We've been seeing that now for a couple of weeks, so I wonder what is going on? Freezes (total signal loss) w/no Internet; when it comes back, Internet is like dial-up. The only thing that fixes it is an RG reset, and it's getting old.
12-01-2011 11:28:15 AM
I saw it for about 15 or 20 minutes yesterday evening.
12-01-2011 11:45:03 AM
Usually when the TV loses signal, our Internet stays up, but not lately. And it keeps happening until I unplug the RG.
12-01-2011 11:47:05 AM
I didn't notice with the internet, but tv was freezing quite a bit.
12-04-2011 01:35:34 PM
Click on the hyperlink in my sig and you will be taken to David's info. He is a tier 2 prem tech who has been extremely helpful to lots of subs. Send him your info and he or a member of his staff will be in touch with you.
02-28-2012 08:13:32 PM
We've had UVerse since April 2011 and have experienced some or all of the problems listed here from the beginning, it seems. The TV problems...freezing, pixelization, sound problems, etc are not constant and are such that I can live with them, I guess. But one of the main reasons I went with Uverse was to get faster internet service. Previously we had AT&T dsl at 3 Mbps down and something like 384k up...don't remember exactly. It was almost never down and seemed pretty good, but slow, particularly the upload speed. I can't get cable here, so AT&T is really my only option. We have 18 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up with Uverse....when I run Speed Test, it appears to be doing OK...about 15 - 17 down and almost always around 1.4x up. The problems are:
1. The real download speeds don't seem to be what the tests show.....is there a way I can do something else to test by downloading big files in a real life situation to prove what speeds we're getting? Sometimes when I'm trying to watch a video (maybe a YouTube video) the picture will freeze and unfreeze because the download can't keep up with the video....shouldn't be that way at the 18 Mbps service. Other times videos will play fine with no freezing.
2. The internet is down or intermittent much more so than the dsl ever was....sometimes I have to reboot (unplug and replug) the RG to get it started. When I do that, the internet seems to run faster for a little while, then starts to clog up again. Almost always the TV/phone service continues to be fine when the internet is requiring a reboot...don't understand that.
A service that is offered by a huge company like AT&T and is all over the country and has been in service for several years should NOT be this mysterious. I agree with the posters who say that at AT&T, one hand definitely DOES NOT know what the other is doing or how they do it, etc. W'e're paying BIG bucks for TV, phone, internet and cell service with AT&T and I'm reluctant to even call them about this because I know it'll be painful and probably won't get any better anyway.
Can anyone give me encouragement that there's some chance my internet problem might be resolved....will try to live with the TV.
Georgia (outside Atlanta)
02-29-2012 03:43:57 PM - edited 02-29-2012 03:53:59 PM
I am so sorry to say based on my experience, the problem is not going to get better, I have had 22 different personnel (including the area manager and 3 of his managers) come to my residence to attempt to resolve my problems to no avail. It is at a status where my account has been flagged by the area manager, so they will not send another person to respond to my call(s), and I have been advised to "seek another provider".
I must admit they have done everything within reason (i.e., without spending a lot of money to rewire the infrastructure) except find an alternative to the 2-wire RG as a backup to eliminate the possibility that it is the RG. Otherwise join the "just live with it" club. I have tried the 18Mbps a few times and ultimately went back to 3, very little difference and I have tried many tests (including traceroute http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traceroute which revealed there was an infrastructure problem), the best is always your experience when you perform realtime downloads and uploads. My service has been capped so it does not operate at the optimum speed, they claim it would cause more problems if they remove it as I am too close to the vrad.
One final thing, I was in the electronics biz 32 years, worked for DirecTV (telephony reported to me) and held various positions in satellite data broadcast center (sdbc) companies including being the Director of Operations at a sbdc; I also have used ComCast, AT&T, TimeWarner and DirecTV, unfortunately, they all have problems of some sort...
I realize this may not encourage you but hopefully it has helped to provide more insight.