Posted Apr 17, 2009
Post SLOG DUMP update side effects
They may have fixed the slog dump but now I have noticed that on occasion when I dial, the phone will say dialing for like 1-2 minutes!!!! Pressing end will not do anything. It will get stuck on dialing. The only solution is to wait and the phone gets "released" eventually, or removing the battery. This has happened 4-6 times since I applied the update. Did anyone else experience this?

There is no doubt in my mind, Samsung will not fix all these issues. It is probably not cost effective, especially when they are probably working on their next generation WM Pro phones.:smileymad:.

If you have noticed any issues that prior to installing the update did not exist please post them here. I would like to separate the thread from the resolved SLOG DUMP thread. Thanks

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
5-20-2009 10:26:26 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

guandalf wrote:
Moderators... I think you should post a sticky regarding the new ROM update

Information regarding the firmware update for the Samsung EPIX can be found here.
Accepted Solution

Post SLOG DUMP update side effects

377 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(377)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2009
(0)
Scholar
I've had issues of not receiving calls, that they're going straight to voicemail.  I can't blame signal strength as my office is maybe 100 feet from an AT&T tower, and I have direct sight of it.

Re: Post SLOG DUMP update side effects

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2009
(0)
Scholar
I noticed my email service has been acting out of character since the installation. I have my phone set not to receive emails from 10pm to 6am and long behold I keep receiving messages during my sleep hours which has not happened until after the installation.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2009
(0)
Professor
The biggest issue I have right now is that the phone keeps jumping from Edge to 3G like jumping jack and the phone hangs when you try to dial out. Once this happens no button can end the call and release the phone to try again.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2009
(0)
Scholar
That whole dailing thing happend to me once but I did have to pull the battery out while watching one of ATT videos. Therefore this phone is a big wash, I am so disappoint, I guess the Propel Pro is the replacement for the EPIX!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2009
(0)
Professor
propel pro has a different issue... the phone is stuck on increasing ring:smileyvery-happy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2009
(0)
Professor
moderator.. I think you should tell people in your locked SLOG DUMP post that installing the update will cause your phone to hang and freeze.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2009
(0)
Tutor
I have the same issue as guandalf (#4). Annoying and major bug. Please fix!
Message Edited by baj0507 on 04-20-2009 01:47:03 PM

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2009
(0)
Tutor

I have lost all hope that this phone will ever have all of it's issues fixed.

The biggest concerns to me are the SLOG Dump and not truely using the highest speed 3G...

I am not going to update with the SLOG Dump patch, since it sounds like it actually makes the phone even worse.

I think they are very tricky tricky... basically they did not fix anything... they are just hidding the evidence by preventing the error message from appearing and preventing the creation of the temp dump file.  They are basically covering up the problem... no dump files... no proof of a failure...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2009
(0)
Professor

megatron_epix wrote:

I have lost all hope that this phone will ever have all of it's issues fixed.

The biggest concerns to me are the SLOG Dump and not truely using the highest speed 3G...

I am not going to update with the SLOG Dump patch, since it sounds like it actually makes the phone even worse.

I think they are very tricky tricky... basically they did not fix anything... they are just hidding the evidence by preventing the error message from appearing and preventing the creation of the temp dump file.  They are basically covering up the problem... no dump files... no proof of a failure...

That is correct. From tests that I have conducted the phone does not achieve HSDPA speeds, only UMTS and keeps jumping between Edge and 3G. I spoke to the attorney who I conducted the first review with on class action suit against Samsung and AT&T and he said if we get enough people to report the new phone hanging/freezing issue, we can still pursue it. If anyone updated their phone with the SLOG DUMP fix, please post your experience here once the phone hangs.freezes.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2009
(0)
Professor
If dmills59 still reads this forum.. maybe you can report this new issue to Samsung.

Re: Post SLOG DUMP update side effects (phone hangs/freezes)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 20, 2009
(0)
Professor
AT&T shold take responsibility and issue a recall. The phone freezing is even a bigger issue than the slog dump. If any moderator is reading this, I hope you can forward it to the relevant people in the company. This is outrageous. We cant even replace the phones.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2009
(0)
Scholar

guandalf wrote:
AT&T shold take responsibility and issue a recall. The phone freezing is even a bigger issue than the slog dump. If any moderator is reading this, I hope you can forward it to the relevant people in the company. This is outrageous. We cant even replace the phones.

I am in complete agreement here.  This is ridiculous.

That said, has anyone tried a hard reset on theirs?  Did it make any difference?  I just hard reset mine for grins n giggles, so we'll see.  I'm not optimistic though by any stretch of the imagination at this point.   I have my Treo 750 sitting on the charger just in case.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2009
(0)
Scholar

I'm having all the aforementioned problems including not being able to txt or mms, and the data connection dies as well so no browsing or even syncing emails with Exchange. I called AT&T and told them that the symptoms were the same as before the "fix". The only difference was now it was more frequent, and I don't get the error message. It's worse than before right now. They said they'd issue a warranty replacement which I'm sure won't fix the problem, but I don't want it said that I didn't go through the proper procedures/channels to resolve this.

I'm using my Tilt that I was selling on ebay since the replacement phone takes almost two weeks to get here and I have a 2 weeks old baby at home with my wife so I need to be reachable in case of emergency. I guess I'll always keep two phones just in case something like this ever happens again.

Oh and like I said, it's worse now because there is no error message. You look at the phone's screen and everything is fine, you just don't know that your calls are going straight to voice mail and that you're not receiving txt's or emails at all. Everything's fine and peachy at the office too according to the phone. :robotmad:

Message Edited by Memnoch30 on 04-21-2009 07:54:40 AM

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2009
(0)
Scholar
So I'm using my Tilt in the meantime, and I'm getting the problem I had on my Epix last week where the data network just didn't work. Opening the email application almost froze the phone for a while too. I thought it might be a sim card issue so I grabbed a company phone, a Q9h (we keep 4 of those around so people can borrow them) and wouldn't you know, it they don't have internet access right now either. They all get an error that says Remote Party Ended Connection. But you only get the error if you manually sync it, otherwise, they don't give you a clue that something's not working.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2009
(0)
Scholar
Could be a network issue in that area.  I have had that issue in the past both with the Epix and my Treo 750, and it always seemed to be network related.

This widget could not be displayed.
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2009
(0)
Mentor
I performed a hard reset yesterday on my phone due to freezing and other issues since update.  It survived a night of very little use and even so far today while I use it like its going out of style.  No problems going on 24 hours now (other than the E -> 3G connection cycling)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2009
(0)
Professor
I did a hard reset of my Epix but didnt notice anything change. The phone still hangs during dialing.....

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2009
(0)
Professor
I have given up on the Epix. The phone freezes way too many times when trying to make a call out. Even after a hard reset. That update made more damage than good. I would have preferred the SLOG DUMP to stay. I am going into the AT&T store to try and like the Fuze again until a new phone comes out which I like. Never however buying another Samsung phone again!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2009
(0)
Teacher
I Know the epix is a garbage phone with a diamond price, but samsung does make some nice stuff, i think it is a shame they have this over their heads now. but like ford chevy and dodge everyone makes a bad product now and then. i say dont let one bad pinto ruin ruin your oppinion.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2009
(0)
Professor

lastot069 wrote:
I Know the epix is a garbage phone with a diamond price, but samsung does make some nice stuff, i think it is a shame they have this over their heads now. but like ford chevy and dodge everyone makes a bad product now and then. i say dont let one bad pinto ruin ruin your oppinion.

It is amazing that the new Samsung Propel Pro which just came out also has a bug taken from the Epix. The ring is stuck on increasing no matter what you do... Soon enough Samsung will claim "It's not a bug... it's a feature!":robottongue:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2009
(0)
Professor

Memnoch30 wrote:

I'm having all the aforementioned problems including not being able to txt or mms, and the data connection dies as well so no browsing or even syncing emails with Exchange. I called AT&T and told them that the symptoms were the same as before the "fix". The only difference was now it was more frequent, and I don't get the error message. It's worse than before right now. They said they'd issue a warranty replacement which I'm sure won't fix the problem, but I don't want it said that I didn't go through the proper procedures/channels to resolve this.

Oh and like I said, it's worse now because there is no error message. You look at the phone's screen and everything is fine, you just don't know that your calls are going straight to voice mail and that you're not receiving txt's or emails at all. Everything's fine and peachy at the office too according to the phone. :robotmad:

Message Edited by Memnoch30 on 04-21-2009 07:54:40 AM

I am experiencing exactly the same. worse than before the SLOG DUMP update. This phone has gone from bad to worse!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 21, 2009
(0)
Professor
just posting another user's experience from a different thread about the Epix:

schumatt wrote:

Well, I ended up having to hard reset BEFORE the update to get my phone to update.  Then I ended up with two updates.  Still was having problems, so I hard reset again, and things seem to be a little better.  Like kc8lir, it seems that the increasing ringtone is no more.  Now it's loud from the start.  That's a step in the right direction for me!

Also, I noticed I have different (and apparently newer) firmware versions than what is expected after the SLOG DUMP update.  I show PDA version pi907UCIB3V1 and Phone version i907UCIB3F.  From what I've seen, the expected firmware versions after the update is just i907UCIB3.  I don't know if that's related to the second update I got or not, but when I was on the phone with tech support last night, the agent mentioned something about having to send one update before the other one would come through.

So, to summarize, I have:

• Hard Reset
  • Got one FOTA update, regular restart
  • Got another FOTA update, regular restart
  • Hard Reset

I haven't gotten enough emails since then to say if there has been any change to the audible alert or notification light, nor to the non-responsive situation where we would have gotten a SLOG DUMP before.  I can say the screen still seems to wake up for no reason when the phone is just sitting on the table, and I have noticed it go back and forth between 3G and EDGE a few times.

I'll keep an eye on it and post back here.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2009
(0)
Mentor
Well, it didn't survive the second night.  The alarm went off with no audio and I was not able to dismiss it OR shut the phone off --I had to yank the battery.  I really miss my old HTC 8525 brick right about now...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2009
(0)
Scholar
I received my replacement yesterday. I was only able to swap it out right before bed so I didn't really test it. It was fine this morning but now at work it's doing the same things. This phone does not have the SLOG Dump firmware update yet. It'll work perfectly for a while, then it goes into problem mode where there is no data network, and it may or may not be able to make/receive calls/sms. I had a voicemail yesterday and I deleted it, and I still have the vm icon too. Phone is trying to connect to MediaNet all the time because of the Exchange Activesync but it's going nowhere. WTH.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2009
(0)
Scholar
Well, I got my Nokia E71 yesterday and it has put the Epix back in the box and your right guadalf this phone is suppoesd to get HSDPA speeds but it does not. I did not know that speed existed until I started useing my Nokia E71 and it stayed glued at that speed until I made voice calls. WOW, now I really feel that ATT/Samsung duped me but I will continue to get the email for this thread. I still want to keep up with the action in case some new developement arises:smileywink:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2009
(0)
Professor
I think all Epix threads will die out slowly as everyone return this terrible phone to AT&T. I have a feeling this phone will stop being sold in the next 6 months due to lack of demand because it is too faulty. As they say... you can lie to some of the people some of the time but you can lie to everyone all the time... I am thinking about getting a Palm Treo Pro from Best Buy today.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2009
(0)
Mentor
I hear that, maybe a thread for post Epix phones should be created now...  That E71 seems like a good contender; I wonder how much of a stink I'll have to make to get my dirty hands on that one.  Too bad, I really liked this phone until this month when the flood gates opened and now I am forced to pull the battery at random times to ensure I do not miss a call/message.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2009
(0)
Scholar

Zorak wrote:
I hear that, maybe a thread for post Epix phones should be created now...  That E71 seems like a good contender; I wonder how much of a stink I'll have to make to get my dirty hands on that one.  Too bad, I really liked this phone until this month when the flood gates opened and now I am forced to pull the battery at random times to ensure I do not miss a call/message.

I recommend buying the unlocked version, once ATT puts it through the wash the E71x will be half the phone the E71 is. You get so many features that ATT will either eliminate or make you pay for it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 22, 2009
(0)
Professor
I am a windows mobile guy... my options are the Fuze or the Palm Treo Pro (unlocked)