Teacher
enjeru407
Re: Samsung Infuse 4G™ (i997) - Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) Software Update
Idk I guess and by the way I'm 17 but that doesn't I don't know stuff
Mentor
Lee1976

I didn't mean you didn't know anything but lets face it the excuses they keep giving are not vaild and all we want is some kind of time table.

Mentor
Lee1976

Hey Jamileh give us some kind of update its been almost 24 hrs since we have heard from you and you started this thread please tell us something!!!

Teacher
enjeru407
Yea I agree its just to me when I see people just going around in circles and not figuring out the problem to me its annoying because with all that steam you're letting off you could've used that energy to solve the problem.
Contributor
bseebeck
[ Edited ]

I followed the guide listed here  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1116251 and used the GTG program to revert back to stock and then Kies Mini recognized my phone and I was able to upgrade. The GTG process only took about 3 minutes to complete and then the upgrade to GB through Kies took about 10 minutes, also the GTG program was VERY easy and straightforward.

SO, if you are sick of waiting for AT&T and Samsung to get their crap together and you are getting the "unregistered device" error, I highly recommend the GTG program in the link above. I did it last night and it's working great.

You need a windows PC, and MAKE SURE you back up all of your photos/music/etc... because the GTG resets your phone back to factory default and wipes the internal memory. Also, after you complete the update you will have to re-download all of your apps and what not from the android market. The market will not recognize that all of your apps are no longer installed so you may need to go to the android market website and go to "my apps" and just click install on all of them again so that they get sent to your phone and re-installed.

I've never played around, rooted, or otherwise messed with an android device, and this was by far the easiest program to use.

So, If you can't wait, use that and all your problems will be solved!

*Edit Note: Shame on AT&T and samsung for making us users have to resort to third party programs to get this to work! EVEN IF it was very easy to do.

Mentor
Lee1976

I have seen the GTG programs and I know it works but some of use don't want to wipe our phones clean I have like 10 apps that are no longer in the app market and so if I wipe it clean I lose them forever thats the one advantage to the iphone once you have an app and have docked it to Itunes then you always have it but then again I hate apple hence I'm on android.

Tutor
techpro4000
[ Edited ]

What apps are you trying to back up?  Android actually stores them in folders that you can pull up on your computer and then back them up to your hard drive.  However, just because a program works with Froyo, doesn't mean that it will work with Gingerbread.  I saved the promotional Angry Birds app and tried moving it back to my phone after the Gingerbread update and it wouldn't start.  That being said, you may find that your existing apps that aren't available for download on the Android Market could be incompatible with the update.

Teacher
enjeru407

i just bricked my phone trying to revert back to UCKD5 and i did follow the instructions. now it wont turn on

Tutor
techpro4000

Try removing the battery for 15 seconds or so.  Then turn the phone back on.  If it does not work, try reflashing.  Please post your results, because it should work.  Make sure that you follow GTG's instructions carefully.

Teacher
enjeru407

how do i reflash the phone if its not turning on. and yes i did take out the battery

Tutor
techpro4000

Plug the USB cable into your phone.  Now hold the volume buttons and at the same time insert the USB connector into your computer.  You should get a screen that shows a warning about flashing.  Set the phone into download mode by pushing the +vol button.

Mentor
chinefoo

10) In the rare case that it finishes and your phone proceeds to boot loop, pull the battery, replace it, press and hold both volume keys and then press and hold the power key, keep holding all three buttons until 3e recovery comes up, select "delete all user data", and finally select "reboot system now".

Teacher
enjeru407

still not working. the computer wont dtect it. when i say it wont turn on it wont. ive plug it in ive tried putting it in recovery nothing.

Tutor
techpro4000

Is your battery fully charged?  The GTG method shouldn't cause your phone to not turn on as you're just flashing the software.

Mentor
chinefoo

sounds like you did something VERY wrong! hope you did not mix those files up. that could possibly do it but bright side go to store tell em the dang update did it lol

Teacher
enjeru407

i got it it was hard bricked now im going to reinstall it again this time with out repartion checked.

Tutor
techpro4000
[ Edited ]

Make sure that you place all of the files in the correct spots in ODIN.  You should leave the re-partition option checked.  Do be sure to clear user data when the phone reboots itself.

Teacher
enjeru407

should i also check the pda and phone im about to do it right now

Tutor
techpro4000

You don't need to check those boxes next to the pda and phone.

Teacher
enjeru407

yea i did because right now its working! :-) thank you guys you somewhat helped out

Tutor
techpro4000
[ Edited ]

Glad to hear that.  You can't brick an Infuse completely.  Now go to Kies Mini and fetch that update!  Let us know when you've got it.  After I saw your message, I was determined to help you out and I'm glad that I could be of service, because I know how important it is and that your cell phone be in good working order.  It's only part of our daily lives and schedule.  I'd be lost without it.

Tutor
two4motion

Just did this (GTG unbrick, then Kies), seems to have worked for me too.

Teacher
enjeru407

getting the update right now. this is awesome!!!!!!!! i felt like i won a ferrari! lol

Tutor
techpro4000
[ Edited ]

Now if only Samsung realized that those of us that had the UCKH1 and UCKE versions of Froyo would run into these problems in the first place.  Time to fix that program of yours Samsung.  Shouldn't have to downgrade our phones just to get your update.

Tutor
cptrack08
[ Edited ]

Just followed the GTG unbrick and then was able to update using Kies mini instantly as well. Only issue was getting that boot-loop after the unbrick, but if you follow the instructions it tells you how to solve that issue if it arises for anyone else.

The best thing about the Gingerbread update to me so far is that now google music actually syncs up with everything I put on the cloud from my computer.

Teacher
enjeru407

I just want to tthank everybody on this forum i finally got the update and i got to say its amazing thanks guys

Tutor
techpro4000
[ Edited ]

It was a pleasure to help out fellow Infuse owners with this issue.  Glad that it is working for you now and that this forum is so active with so many supporters.  You shouldn't have to be a tech geek like I am to figure out how to get an update to work.  But as a tech geek and behalf of all others on this forum, we are more than happy to help others out and share our solutions.  Have a great weekend everybody!

Mentor
golfgreg74
Re: Samsung Infuse G™ (i997) - Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) Software Update

...but should we have to go through this in order to update our OS?  Once ATT made the announcement, it should have been available to all.  IF it was not going to available to all, we should have, at the VERY LEAST, been informed that this was going to be a phased roll out.  I would not have been as irritated as I am (with BOTH ATT & Samsung) had I known that the rollout was going to occur over the next 7-10 days (or whatever it is).

Again, this is an EPIC FAIL for both ATT & Samsung.

It would be nice for one these companies to actually say "We are sorry, we know we screwed this up and it is going to be live for all by (?)".  Instead we get multiple vague answers or have to set our phones back (loosing all our APPS) in order to upgrade.

Teacher
enjeru407

Posted from SonyEricsson LT15i
Teacher
enjeru407
To clarify some things no the update was not a phased rollout but instead a program error on kies they are now fixing the error.
Posted from SonyEricsson LT15i