Kudos: 461
Solutions: 212
My Device: Iphone 3GS
Re: AT&T to begin unlocking off-contract iPhones this Sunday, April 8th
[ Edited ]

New Reality wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

New Reality wrote:

Since they have already unlocked one of my off contract iPhones, there's no reason not to believe this article.

No more whining about people posting unlock questions.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/06/atandt-to-begin-unlocking-iphone-sunday-april-8/

again not going to benefit the majority of people looking for a unlock

Not going to help those that purchase the phone off of fleabay or craiglist

How do you know this?  Do you have some secret insight to the number of ebay vs. AT&T sourced phones owned by people asking for an unlock?

Of course, there are a lot of AT&T phones out there that were sold on e-bay after contract expiration,  however for the iPhone 4 unless the owner paid the ETF,   none of them are off contract yet.

What will be interesting is how AT&T defines a contract in "good standing".  What if there was a missed payment, what if the person suspended service for xx months, what if, what if.

I will submit my still on contract phones for unlocking the moment they qualify.

Maybe becasue the press release has the terms of unlock that SPECIFICLY states this, or did you not read the restrictions. No account no unlock - period. Unless the phone is unlocked prior to being put on fleabay or cragslist the person that purchases it cannot call att and say "You pwease unlock my iphone" the answer will still be the same - No way. As far as a "contrct in good standing" that is already been discusses, especially for upgrade eligibility - missed payments, late payments equate a moved upgrade date. I define a "account in good standing" as one that ha paid on time for the duration of their contract woth us, not sure how you would consider it. The thousands of current att iphones (some brand new in box never been activated) that are on fleabay and craigslist, the ones that that where purchased playing the international currency game prior to 04/08 are not going to be unlocked according to the att upper manangemt statments that was made.

So you are going to submit your "currently on contract phones" after they are no longer associated with a active term commitment?

"Beginning Sunday, April 8, we will offer qualifying customers the ability to unlock their AT&T iPhones. The only requirements are that a customer's account must be in good standing, their device cannot be associated with a current and active term commitment on an AT&T customer account, and they need to have fulfilled their contract term, upgraded under one of our upgrade policies or paid an early termination fee."

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.