Contributor
xbob
adding wireless n router to 2Wire 3800HGV RG

Long time Uverse customer, since Uverse was introduced to south Texas. Have the 3800 RG, three STBs, and have been using the RG's wireless. My home wireless load has increased to the point now that I bought a Linksys E3000 b/g/n router to help add capacity (at times, when the kids are all here, supporting 5 phones, 4 ipads, 3-4 laptops, etc.

What I thought I really wanted to do was to use the RG as a modem and the new router as the DHCP server and wireless access point. After reading a lot of posts, it appears that the RG really needs to be the DHCP server because the TV STBs feed off it, and I'm okay with that.

I have tried to get it working over the past day with no luck, so I'm coming to the board to ask for some really clear and simple language to get this setup working.

My RG is using IP 192.168.1.254, and is set to use the range from 192.168.1.64 to .253  When I go in and look, the IPs that are assigned to devices range from the 64-76 ish.

The linksys router out of the box has DHCP enabled, and has a default IP of 192.168.1.1

On the back of the Linksys router there is one plug for Internet (which I think is WAN) and four for LAN. 

My RG has four LAN slots, with two being used (one hardwire connection to my Mac mini and one hardwire to my Internet connected printer. Once the new router is set up I will probably move those connections from the RG to the new router. I also have a terabyte drive that will plug into the new router's USB port.

What I thought I needed to do is go into the Linksys and disable the DHCP. As I understand, the IP address of the Linksys itself needs to be outside of the range of IPs used by the RG (.64-.254), and since it is, I don't think I have to change it.

I then wire from the Linksys LAN to RG LAN, and go into the RG management and turn off wireless. When I look at the IP assignements, I see that the RG has assigned the Linksys the IP of 192.168.1.79

My computers can see the Linksys, and can connect to it, but can't get internet pages.

I would greatly appreciate a step by step, in simple, non tech language, of what I need to do to get this working....

I have read many o the posts and I think I have tried a lot of the solutions, but still can't get it to work.

thanks, in advance, to anyone who helps out.

Bob

Scholar
nephipower
Re: adding wireless n router to 2Wire 3800HGV RG
What you will want to do is turn DHCP back on your Linksys router since you want it to hand out IP address for your whole network. Another benefit to having your Linksys act as DHCP is that you can specify your own preference for DNS servers and be able to use UPnP.

So I would suggest you reset your Linksys to factory defaults to make things easy. Then you will want to run a cable from any one of the LAN ports on the RG to the Internet port on the Linksys.

Then follow this guide to turn the RG into a sudo "bridge" mode.
http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

Once you have got everything setup I turned off the wireless on my RG since I wasn't going to be using it at all and I didn't want there to be any interference problems between wifi on the RG and my router.
ACE - Master
hpmsrm
My Device: U-verse - Motorola "Atrix" HD
[ Edited ]

I also installed a separate wireless/ethernet router behind the RG.  But it certainly was not very complicated.  All our TV's continue to be fed directly from the RG.....two via coax and one via ethernet.  Then I connected the new router to one of the unused ethernet ports on the RG.  Turned off the wireless in the RG.  I also connected my desktop to one of the ethernet ports on the new router.  Fired it up and now our two laptops and two iPads are all functioning just great wirelessly.  My desktop is also functioning just fine and all the PC's can see each other and interact on the home net.  Other than turning off the wireless in the 3801 RG I made no other changes in settings.

At this point I should add:  You've noticed that the RG is 2.4 gHz G wireless only.  My new wireless router is a dual band Netgear N600

and for all the wireless in the house we are using the 5 gHz N capability.

I should also mention that the Netgear N600 Dual Band router also has a USB port which can be used for two or three different purposes.  In our case I have my 1 TB external HDD connected to it and that gives all three PC's continuous access to this HDD.  Previously this HDD was connected to my desktop and it had to be turned on in order for the laptops to see this external drive.  That is no longer the case.

On one notable occasion....just as the space shuttle was about to lift off....one U.S. astronaut turned to the one in the seat next to him and commented, "And just remember...you're sitting on top of $100 million worth of parts manufactured by the lowest bidder." A real confidence builder, eh?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Contributor
xbob

I thought that I read that the RG had to be the DHCP server because of the way Uverse handles the TV portion of the stream. That's why I turned the DHCP off on the Linksys, as there can only be one DHCP server.  

If I have that wrong, how do you turn off the RG's DHCP?

thanks,

Bob

JefferMC
Topics: 141
Kudos: 437
Solutions: 228
My Device: U-verse/VZW Samsung Galaxy S4

Xbob,

You have basically two configuration choices for your new device:

1) As a Router

2) As an Access Point

If you configure it as a router, then you leave its DHCP feature on, connect it to the RG via its WAN port and have it create a second subnet (often 192.168.2.*).  It then routes traffic out of its little subnet to the rest of the world, providing NAT, etc.  This does allow things like custom DNS servers, UPNP (if you really want that), custom Firewall, etc..  The RG continues to offer DCHP to those devices connecting directly to it (e.g. the TV receivers), you cannot turn this off and still have TV service.

If you connect it as an access point, then you turn the DHCP feature OFF on your device, connect it to the RG using one of the LAN ports.  Then it acts as a switch/wireless access point, allowing the RG to provide all of the router services (including DHCP).  

There are two excelent posts by SomeJoe giving step by steps on how to do each of these.  I don't have a link to them handy at the moment, but if you are unable to find them via search, post back and I'll look for them.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Contributor
dubmann

Doesn't leaving the DHCP NAT on on the second router give you a double NAT error? or does changing the subnet fix this problem? I could really use the help.

JefferMC
Topics: 141
Kudos: 437
Solutions: 228
My Device: U-verse/VZW Samsung Galaxy S4

dubmann wrote:

Doesn't leaving the DHCP NAT on on the second router give you a double NAT error? or does changing the subnet fix this problem? I could really use the help.

I don't know what you mean by "double NAT error."  Yes,  you would change the subnet on the router behind the RG.  Assuming that your router allowed you to turn NAT off, I'm not sure that it or the RG would properly route traffic from the 192.168.1.xxx subnet to your router's subnet.  With NAT on, the traffic from behind that router appears to be coming from the router and will be properly routed.  Yes, any traffic from that router would be NATed again if it passes through the RG to the Intenet, but that's not an "error" per se.

Voyager
ben2931
Configure WNDR3700 (N600) router on a 2Wire 3600HGV
[ Edited ]

This applies to both 2Wire modem models, I presume. The 3600HGV uses 192.168.1.X subnet, and the N600 uses 10.0.0.X subnet by default. The N600 is set to 192.168.1.1 by default, which falls within the modem's DHCP subnet range. These factors make the setup easier - they snap together with minimal configuration due to their default settings.

1. Connect the N600's yellow "Internet" port to one of the unused ethernet ports on the 3600HGV.
  2. Turned off wireless on the 3600HGV.  
  3. Connect a PC to one of the ethernet ports on the N600 (router, aka Netgear WNDR3700).
  4. Other than turning off the wireless in the 3600HGV make no other changes in settings.

The above makes sense, because if you turn off wireless on the modem, then you can have two DHCP points - because the units use different subnets. The modem uses 192.168.1.X, and the router uses 10.0.0.X by default. Although, I don't think devices connected directly to the modem would be able to see devices connected to the router, since they'd be on different subnets.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if you even need to turn off wireless on the 3600HGV - you could run them both.

Voyager
ben2931
Re: Configure WNDR3700 (N600) router on a 2Wire 3600HGV

As a community service, I can confirm that the above configuration works without modification and without turning off wireless on the modem.

How to use a Netgear WNDR3700 with an AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV VDSL modem

1. Connect a PC via ethernet wire to the N600.
  2. Connect the N600 yellow "Internet" port to an available port on the 3600HGV.
  3. Make sure your PC isn't connecting wirelessly anywhere - it should pick up an IP from the N600.
  4. Enter 10.0.0.1 to access the N600 setup page.
  5. Click Basic Settings.
  6. Under Internet IP Address, select "Get Dynamically from ISP".
  7. For Domain Name Server, select "Get Automatically from ISP".
    • Note that the above settings are set to static IP when you use the N600 with a straight up modem.
  8. Router MAC Address, set to Use Default Address.
  9. Does your internet connection require a login? No.
  10. Click Apply. The router will then fetch an IP from its DHCP server (i.e., the 3600HGV modem).

You should now have internet access via the PC.

Couple of things - both the N600 and the 3600HGV are now DHCP servers. This config works, because they are serving entirely different IPs - the 3600HGV serves up 192.168.1.X IPs, and the N600 serves 10.0.0.X IPs. They don't conflict. And now you have two units sending out a wireless signal - which you may like or not. 

To summarize:

• Both the modem and router are DHCP servers.
  • Both serve different subnets, so there is no conflict.
  • The modem is configured normally, as though the router is just a switch, and it needs no special settings.
  • Plug the router's Internet (WAN, yellow socket, etc) to one of the modem's ethernet ports.
  • Set the router to fetch a dynamic IP and DSN.

Now you have the option of plugging into either device. I haven't tried it, but I assume that if you connect a PC to the modem (either ethernet or wireless) it won't be able to "see" any PCs connected to the router, and vice versa.

Contributor
Eleanor1234
Can I connect to the Internet with just a router? Or do I need a ISP?
Posted from Apple iPhone
Teacher
1080pete
My Device: iPhone 4S absinthe 2.0.4

After reading your post I think I may have a similar interest for set up as to what you explained. I have an Apple Airport extreme connected to my RG but its setup to join the current network because if I set it up without the wireless enabled on the RG I lose the ability to control the receivers through my smart devices. However, my apple devices work much better when the AirPort Extreme is broadcasting the wireless signal, along with my Seagate GoFlex home which isn't allowing me to connect remotely even though the setup is correct on the RG. If I'm in the wrong place please point me to the correct one? Thank you

Posted from Apple iPad
Voyager
eransays
[ Edited ]

ben2931 wrote:

As a community service, I can confirm that the above configuration works without modification and without turning off wireless on the modem.

How to use a Netgear WNDR3700 with an AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV VDSL modem

1. Connect a PC via ethernet wire to the N600.
  2. Connect the N600 yellow "Internet" port to an available port on the 3600HGV.
  3. Make sure your PC isn't connecting wirelessly anywhere - it should pick up an IP from the N600.
  4. Enter 10.0.0.1 to access the N600 setup page.
  5. Click Basic Settings.
  6. Under Internet IP Address, select "Get Dynamically from ISP".
  7. For Domain Name Server, select "Get Automatically from ISP".
    • Note that the above settings are set to static IP when you use the N600 with a straight up modem.
  8. Router MAC Address, set to Use Default Address.
  9. Does your internet connection require a login? No.
  10. Click Apply. The router will then fetch an IP from its DHCP server (i.e., the 3600HGV modem).

You should now have internet access via the PC.

Couple of things - both the N600 and the 3600HGV are now DHCP servers. This config works, because they are serving entirely different IPs - the 3600HGV serves up 192.168.1.X IPs, and the N600 serves 10.0.0.X IPs. They don't conflict. And now you have two units sending out a wireless signal - which you may like or not. 

To summarize:

• Both the modem and router are DHCP servers.
  • Both serve different subnets, so there is no conflict.
  • The modem is configured normally, as though the router is just a switch, and it needs no special settings.
  • Plug the router's Internet (WAN, yellow socket, etc) to one of the modem's ethernet ports.
  • Set the router to fetch a dynamic IP and DSN.

Now you have the option of plugging into either device. I haven't tried it, but I assume that if you connect a PC to the modem (either ethernet or wireless) it won't be able to "see" any PCs connected to the router, and vice versa.

This will work if you dont want to connect a STB to the secondary router. However, even though ATT states that you cannot connect a STB via ethernet through a router to the gateway, this is not true, if you can do some creative trickery (I know nothing about networking aside from what I learned from google within the past two days and I was able to figure it out) 

My set up: Internet-->Uverse 2wire Gateway--cat5cable--WD MyNet N900 central router--cat5cable--Xbox 360 as STB. But this should work with a normal STB.

Here is how:

First disconnect the secondary router (in my case the N900) from everything except the computer you are using to edit its settings. 

In order for the Gateway to see the STB as directly connected, my N900 router must be set up as an access point BUT . . . not using the AP mode in the router interface. This led to disruptions in the TV signal to the Xbox because when the N900 is set to AP mode, the ability to change advanced settings are disabled. 

To make this work I had to manually configure several settings on my N900. First I had to turn DHCP off on the N900 and have the N900 assign itself a static IP within the DHCP range of the RG. It is not necessary to log in to the ATT RG to have it assign the static IP to the secondary router as it will see the IP that the N900 assigned itself. 

Next (and this is why the AP mode could not be used in my case) I had to turn off QoS on my N900 as the RG already should be handling QoS. Otherwise the N900 may try to allocate less bandwith to the STB in favor of another device.  This was what fixed frequent loss of TV signal on the connected Xbox as STB. 

Finally unplug your RG, master DVR, and secondary router. Connect the LAN of the RG to the LAN of the secondary router NOT THE WAN. Reboot both routers and the primary DVR and you should be good to go. The n900 does not see that it is connected to the internet due to the connection being LAN to LAN, however all devices attached to the N900 will be able to connect to the internet and the RG will be able to push multicast packets to the STB through any newer router. 

Of course all 3rd party routers are different and will have different options/different names for the same settings. 

Hope this helps and isn't redundant. Also if anyone has anything to add or if I am wrong in any of my statement, please let me know. I am always looking to learn.

Voyager
T4 In Rockwall

I've read through this thread but didn't see what I was looking for so I'm asking the question and hoping it hasn't been repeated. I have a 3801HGV which also runs two wireless receivers. When I run my Asus RT-N56U it takes the wireless receivers off line and they can't see the uverse dvr section such as recorded material and forwarding and pausing, etc. I've had two AT&T technicians out here and they just said I'm out of luck and can't run my Asus router because it conflicts with the Uverse router. I've read other threads and can follow to a point but most of it is over my head. Is there a way that I can run my Asus router for all of my non-Uverse needs and still maintain my two Uverse routers? After reading through a ton of these threads, I know there has to be but I've tried a couple of ways and my Asus negates out the Uverse router. If and when I can do this, can I do all (after hooking up the proper cables to each router) from my laptop and logging into the router ip's?

Thanks community.

Community Support
DavidCS

Hi T4 In Rockwall,

I am sorry you are having this issue with your wireless receivers. The only things I can think of that may be causing this issue are

1. Your ASUS and 2wire are on the same NAT (192.168.1.x) causing routing conflicts
  2. Your connecting the WAP through the ASUS router. If so, please connect it directly to the U-verse router.

Other than that, the only other thing I can think of that might help is to create a static forwarding rule that forwards all traffic from the 192.168.1.x range from the ASUS router to the U-verse router.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Tutor
Clement6316
Re: adding Airport Extreme to 2Wire 3800HGV RG

I connect the WAN Port on My Airport Extreme Base Station to one of the Network Ports on the 3800HGV, gave my Airport Wireless Network its own unique SSID (versus the default SSID 2WIREXXX for the 3800HGV). On the Airport Extreme, under Internet>Internet Connection, I specified: "Ethernet" for Connect Using: (versus PPPoE), and "Off (Bridge Mode)" for Connection Sharing. The other options for Connection Sharing are: Share a Public IP Address, and Distribute a range of IP addresses. So selection of Bridge Mode turns off DHCP.

My Airport Extreme supports Simultaneous Dual band, so it supports a mix of Wireless-G and Wireless-N devices without slowing all devices down to Wireless-G. All my home equipment connects to my Airport Network. My U-verse TV Receiver is connected to the 3800HGV, presumably over its Wireless-G network. Fortunately, I never changed the SSID or Encryption key on the 3800HGV, as the installation tech told me I could do. It works. Don't really understand your concern.

Teacher
ryan-gills

DHCP cannot be turned off on our router.  Disable DHCP on your linksys, and disable the SSID broadcast on ours.  Plug an ethernet from our router to yours, but into an ethernet port, not the Internet port.  Done it too many times.

Teacher
ryan-gills

If using an AirPort from Apple, use the AirPort Utility app to set it up in bridged mode, and disable the SSID broadcast on ours.  Apple makes things so simple!

Voyager
T4 In Rockwall

DavidCS wrote:

Hi T4 In Rockwall,

I am sorry you are having this issue with your wireless receivers. The only things I can think of that may be causing this issue are

1. Your ASUS and 2wire are on the same NAT (192.168.1.x) causing routing conflicts
  2. Your connecting the WAP through the ASUS router. If so, please connect it directly to the U-verse router.

Other than that, the only other thing I can think of that might help is to create a static forwarding rule that forwards all traffic from the 192.168.1.x range from the ASUS router to the U-verse router.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

-David T

@DavidCS, thanks for the suggestions. I'll be trying them when I get a chance, which will probably come on a weekend. I've tried things like this before and had to get a technician out to get my wireless receivers back online. I'm a little raw at using the terminology and logging onto the router online, etc. I appreciate the help and will post back whether or not this fixes me up.

Community Support
DavidCS

Sounds great. If you do run into any troubles, always feel free to post, and I am confident that all of us in the community will be able to help get this fixed for you.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Tutor
ponchomoran

I posted this same question in a different topic, but I haven't got any response, maybe you guys can help me here.

I have the 3800-HGVB RG and wanted to get a faster wireless network, so I bought a D-Link 826L dual band router, and set it up in AP mode. I tried doing it with the WAN port as a real router (DMZPlus option), but I was never able to get my firewall settings to open the needed ports correctly, so I gave up and went the other route, which I must say, went without a breeze and everything was connected perfectly. My firewall still works perfect and all my devices connect without any problem.

However... I made some tests and it turns out, streaming to an apple TV and to an android box, using XBMC, was way way faster with the wireless G network of the uverse RG, that with any of the two networks from the new DLink (2G and 5G). For instance, the time it took to start a movie using the uverse router was about 1 min 40 secs; and I was never able to get the same movie started with any of the other networks, in both devices sooner than 3 mins, sometimes more than that.

Do you have any idea why is that? The two routers are next to each other, and really not too far from the room with the TV, actually, the apple TV says the signal is excellent when I connect to either router. I tried different channels, different security methods, and other things, but nothing made it faster.

I wonder if somebody has any advice. Thanks very much.

Community Support
DavidCS

Hi ponchomoran,

One thing worth trying is to connect some devices via Ethernet cable to see if it still has problems. If not, then there is an issue with the wireless and the settings just might need to be fine tuned a little more. If it still does, it may be worth trying to factory reset the D-Link router.

Hope this helps.

-David T