Re: My 2wire modem/wifi keeps resetting
11-08-2011 02:30:48 PM
Thanks for your efforts, I appreciate it. I believe the things you should try to address the problem are anything to do with reducing the frequency of access to memory by the internal subsystems. This is what I believe will help reduce or stop the DMA Errors. So going from "G" to "B", or reducing hits on memory by the CPU, reducing your DSL connect speed, etc. The only item that worked for me was reducing my wireless bandwidth from 54Mbs to 11Mbs. I tried WEP and firewall modifications, it did not help in my case.
BTW. If you are getting ERR_DMA, there is no sense in chasing any other problems other than this. Once you have this problem stopped, then chase any other problems you may still have. I simply say this because the ERR_DMA is masked by several problems, like, wifi drops, dsl disconnects and CRC errors. These "side effects" are causing AT&T line guys to get involved in this problem! Clean up your DMA errors then move on.
I think I may even have an answer to that via some research and some good clues by a few people. WHat you stated above might be the entire answer, or as least a good theory as to why.
The 2wire has an attack detection page on the 2wire firewall page. I thought something was up with the first time I hooked the 2wire to my network because when I dmz'd my wired router I couldn't access it from the outside even though it was dmz+ mode. Another thing I couldn't do is remote management as I had used to with the moto2210 in bridge mode. I also couldn't explain why the ping times increased between 15-30ms when going to the 2wire. Finally why would the wife's laptop have a problem with web traffic on the belkin/naboo access point ,that she had no problems with for a solid year before, now give her problems. I saw your post and came to some thoughts.... then...with these questions that came to mind I did some digging.
I tried an experiment.
- I turned off all the attack detections on the 2wire firewall's page. Only one I enabled was stealth mode and block ping. That was it.
- I returned the wireless to G, and wpa only.
- (Optional and won't affect the results if you do or don't do it, I did it for my purposes) Changed the base IP to 10.0.0.1/subnet of 255.255.255.0, and gave it an ip range of 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.52.
So far in the last 6-8 hours after disabling all the "attack detections" inside the 2wire I accomplished the following
1.) the naboo router that was in DMZ+ mode can now be accessed from the outside world as it was before
2.) So far no wireless drops
3.) no ERR_DMA in the dsl diagnostic pages and it has only synced up once (initial setup)
4.) The wife reports no problems with the belkin access point or the 2wire's access points (both wireless).
5.) The ping times that were increased up to 60-90ms have decreased back to what they were on with just the motorola and the only naboo router (before I ever put in the 2wire).
So now all I would need is others to test what I may have confirmed so far. If I am right, you won't do any more damage to your 2wire or disable any more protections than the basic NAT you get with any router you buy off the wal-mart.best buy, or (insert your electronics store) 's shelves. They all come with basic NAT protection, the only thing you are doing is keeping the attack detections at bay from scanning every packet wired and wireless.