ACE - Master
hpmsrm
My Device: U-verse - Motorola "Atrix" HD
Re: Gas Prices - Ugh!!!!!!

The price for regular unleaded here in our little suburb has gone up to $2.899 per gallon.  That was an 11 cents per gallon jump overnight.

In all states, as far as I know, the major source of funds for highway and road construction and maintenance is the tax on the fuel we burn in our vehicles.  The cost of this service keeps climbing.  But, as Americans shift to more fuel efficient vehicles and....yes...even cars using other energy sources....and we use fewer and fewer gallons of gasoline, the revenue derived from those taxes will continue to shrink.  So the state highway departments are caught in a bind between income and outgo.  It is a certainty that new revenue sources will have to be found and that will most likely be new taxes.  I'll bet the tax breaks on ethanol will be removed before long.

Don't know if I've touched on this before.....but....we have a Missouri State Trooper living across the street from us.  He told me that they burn E-85 in their cars.  Interestingly....he is averaging 85 fewer miles per tankful than with straight gasoline.  His car is a Ford Crown Victoria I think.....police version.....and loaded to the gills with electronic devices.

On one notable occasion....just as the space shuttle was about to lift off....one U.S. astronaut turned to the one in the seat next to him and commented, "And just remember...you're sitting on top of $100 million worth of parts manufactured by the lowest bidder." A real confidence builder, eh?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.