dhascall
Topics: 1,140
Solutions: 39
My Device: LG Optimus (Virgin Mobile)
Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

Another "cool" front blew through Indy last night with a reinforcing short of cool air.  Lots of wind and temps today in the 60's.  Maybe some light frost tomorrow.  We are still way down in the rainfall department but we got half an inch Wed. afternoon and that was as much as we received in all of August! 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
spd2demun
My Device: ♥ U-verse! NOT~AN~EMPLOYEE!
Re: Let's Talk About the Weather - The New Temp Thread

Thanks for bringing this back from the dead. :smileywink:

Houston has been having beautfiul weather, though we are badly needing rain.  Mid 80s today, but none of the high humidity.  Little too chilly past few nights with having to turn the heat on.

We'll be doing this A/C daytime, heater nighttime thing until about Dec. :smileysad:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Guru
click_clack
My Device: iPhone 4

Pretty much the same weather here in San Antonio as in Houston.  Ad we need rain, too.  Had quite a bit a month ago, but we're back to nothing.  Doesn't seem right to need to water the grass in mid October, even if I've been here 17 years....

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.
Uniblurb3
Topics: 469
[ Edited ]

Real cold here right now at 36 and heavy frost by morning. Covered my flowers tonight but won't be long until gone.

Seems like the fall colors haven't lasted long at all this year. Probably lack of rain and record high temps the past couple weeks caused an early leaf drop.

http://www.wunderground.com/US/OH/Carroll.html

edit: install local weather link.

jfw
Topics: 147
Solutions: 23

Nice weather in Chicago, 60's & 70's during the day, 40's & 50's at night. Pretty dry though, less than a half inch of rain so far this month.

Last weekend temp. was in the mid 80's, 86 last Saturday tied a record standing since 1949.

dhascall

No frost here in Indy, yet, to speak of Uni but I did see some light ice on the rooftops the week before last.  It got to 40 last night and there was lots of dew on the car, when I took Gizzie to the Groomers for his play date, earlier.  He is now ready, so I'm off.

RCSMG
Topics: 1,289
Solutions: 66

I videotaped a football game Friday night.  By 8pm dst. I was so cold I was shivering to a great degree.  By the time the game ended at about 9:45 I was shivering so much it was hard to shoot.  I felt sorry for the cheerleaders who had on the skirt, nand blouses with only one covered shoulder. 

The weather called for patchy frost by morning.  Oh well.

dhascall

We (Indy) got a tenth of an inch of rain, yesterday.  Again not much but it does seem to be raining at least a little bit, every week.  The grass is greening up, just in time for dormancy.  It was a nice weekend, however.

Employee
Escapee
My Device: Can I Give U a Hand

I think last Friday Oct 15  was the last day of wearing shorts at work.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
RCSMG

A blistering 56 degrees today, but sunny.

Uniblurb3

Pretty nippy here this morning and 34 at 5am. Suposed to get up to 65 today and at least the sun has been out lately.

Great weather for blowing leaves hours on end with a backpack leaf blower. About hit my limit of 4 1/2 hours straight the other day and really puts a lot of pressure on my right arm holding tube w/150mph air/wind. Using a music device with headphones does help with the boredom some.

Been sealing windows shut like crazy trying to get the fuel oil furnace to not kick on so often. May have mentioned this "Seal 'N Peel Removable Weatherstip Caulk - Clear" product before and it's great for sealing cracks/holes. Goes on with a caulking gun and peels off like  a rubber band in the spring. Can use indoors/outdoors, doesn't damage paint/surfaces, and have some that's been on outside for 10+ years on basement windows which don't open. Old coal bin windows. But fair warning this product has some real strong solvent vapors when using inside. Kind of ironic they have a warning which states, "Ensure fresh air entry during application and drying time". WTH, you're sealing windows shut but need fresh air? I do use a fan and have bathroom fan on for pulling out the vapors.

Painted the woodstove last week (2,000 degree heat paint) and should fire it up today with living room winodw open with fan in it. Another product which give off a real strong vapor smell when stove is first fired up.

When visiting my daughter in CA have noticed they don't sell these high vapor/solvent products. May be the way to go eventually. Noticed the big stores here, like Lowe's and Home Depot, pulled about all their oil based paint/stain products late last year.

I don't seal the living room window since bird feeders are right outside. And the birds are really chowing down with this cold weather. Hummers left last week and will return to same feeder in the spring. Was on my backporch last night at dusk. The pair of Carolina wrens which have a nest in a wreath on my  porch were harassing me because they wanted in their warm nest for the night, out of the cold. Cleaned up quickly and they went in their nest.

BTW, Charlie sleeps outside all night and loves this cold weather. Has a baby bed mattress with big soft dog comforter which he really likes. Comes in during the morning and sleeps all day in the warm house. :smileyhappy:

Note: And you just wanted to talk about the weather?? :smileyvery-happy:

dhascall

Uni - it will hit 70 today.  Lots of folks off to Brown County and Nashville, Indiana.  Lots of hills and fall colors and shops.  I have never been to the Hocking Hills area SE of you but I guess that it would be similar - only your area is a bit larger.

Uniblurb3

Yeah Dave, Hocking Hills is a beautiful area and used to manage one of the parks down there. I'm not far from that area at all and only about 1/2 hour away.

I even went to camp in the Hocking Hills , year after year, as a kid. Have many fond memories of hiking all over the area.

While everybody goes there when the weathers nice it's also absolutely gorgeous in the dead of Winter. Pretty rugged but the frozen waterfalls, and icicles everywhere, are breathtaking. I once looked up at the top of a frozen waterfall and saw a 10 point buck jump about 15'-20' over the top of the falls. A site I'll never forget. :smileyhappy:

http://www.hockinghills.com/parks.html

dhascall

Are you a state park manager?  One of my former coworkers did (does?) that too, in Indiana.  He managed Clifty Falls, Whitewater and Fall Creek State Parks, IIRC.  We did not know that was his line of work until we saw a newspaper article (at work) that he had won a lawsuit concerning a promotion.  He quit working for Uncle Sam and returned to the State Parks in short order, per the ruling on his lawsuit (he was erroneously passed over for a SP manager's promotion).

Uniblurb3

No, retired from a park in Hocking County and will leave it at that. Luckily no lawsuits here. :smileywink:

Employee
Escapee

Glad you have Charlie to guide you around when the solvent work on your brain cells. I spent the morning in the attic adding R-30 insulation. The attic will be useless except right beside the pull down stairs. The attic is not high enough to stand up anywhere. If I put every where you can forget about even rerouting or adding electrical wiring. I plan to leave a path down the middle for future repairs. It will take a few more cool mornings to finish.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Uniblurb3

LOL SKP, in Charlie being my guide/service dog. Did read those solvent warnings and the first thing to go is your memory. Did you say something about an attic? :smileyvery-happy:

Holy cow, R-30 insulation in a warm weather state? You must be protecting from the heat as well as the cold. Did you buy the real itchy stuff? It's my understanding the real itchy fiberglass insulation they used to sell was changed where it's not too bad. The old fiberglass and my skin/eyes don't like each other at all. Seems like the past couple attics I've been in lately (my son's house and mine) you couldn't stand up either. A real pain.

Was 65 and sunny today. Had the wood stove going with a slow fire and windows wide open. Fan on too which helped pull the new paint fumes out.

Sealed the upstairs windows today and used the old gummy rope caulk (Mortite) instead of solvent based caulking. No where for the fumes to go and didn't want to make Missy, my cat who lives up there, sick. Was also thinking about myself.

Cold front rolling thought tonight and daytime temps will only be in the mid 50's. Mid 30's at night. Windy here and it's raining leaves..

Employee
Escapee

I have a heat pump and the electric bill only goes just above $200 twice a year. Once in summer and once in winter.  That is balanced by a couple below $100 in sping and fall.  For some reason the noise of the heat pump bothers my sleep in the winter but not in the summer. I did not feel sore when I went to bed but old age announced itself when I started to get out of bed this morning. 

Well back to the attic this morning. I will order the wheelchair for tomorrow morning. Will be glad to be back at work Monday so I can give my body some rest. :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:  Did I use that 4 letter word that starts with w.

To answer your question the heat is worse then the cold. 

Employee
Escapee
[ Edited ]

Beautiful 75° at 2:20 PM.

spd2demun

Been 90 most days and still warm enough to run the A/C at night, so that's good.

Still dry as a bone here, pollen and dust everywhere!  (no tumbleweeds yet, waiting for those to roll down from Dallas) :smileyvery-happy:

Uniblurb3

Still in the 90's, must be nice. Think you guys deserve some tumbleweeds. :smileyvery-happy:

28 at 7am and colder than heck. Covered my impatiens again because calling for heavy frost. If the ground warmth didn't keeping them from freezing they're gone. Oh well, it's inevitable.

It hit 32 last week but not really a hard freeze. We'll have to see if this morning's 28 degree temps bring in the swarms of lady beetles as it warms up. Supposed to be sunny and in the mid 70's this weekend. I'm beginning to wonder if the really hot/dry conditions didn't keep the beetles numbers down this year. That would be nice.

At least the living room's toasty at 80 with the wood stove going. Need to get the humidifiers back out quick since really dries things out. Looking forward to the static electricity building up in the carpet as you walk. Gives you a shock on everything metal you touch. :smileysad:

jfw
Topics: 147
Solutions: 23

Scattered frost this morning away from the city (Chicago). Still very dry, supposed to be warmer and rainy this weekend.

Here's what the NWS is predicting the winter to be in the US.  http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2010/20101021_winteroutlook.html

spd2demun

Guess the cold will make it down here soon.  :smileymad:  Supposed to rain today, has in some areas, just not here.  Need it to hold off so I can patch some brick mortar!

RCSMG

I saw on the news today that temps will be a lot warmer this winter.  La Nina (hope thats right) is causing the gulf stream to stay higher this winter.  I guess its a theory anyway.  Grain of salt anybody?

Uniblurb3

Same thing about a warmer winter is in jfw's "noaanews" link 2 posts above.

Hot Summer = cold Winter. Who knows??

RCSMG

One thing is for sure.  We will definitely find out this winter.

spd2demun

Read an article about caterpillars being a sign of a hard winter.  They also talk about Uni's squirrel observation.

Squirrels are coming up to the patio door, chewing on acorns, tormenting Belle!

JefferMC
Topics: 141
Solutions: 226
My Device: U-verse/VZW Samsung Galaxy S4

Forgive me for not knowing this already, but is Belle a dog or a cat?

spd2demun

She is a cat, a former outdoor one that liked hunting squirrels. :smileysad:

Our photos are all gone on this site, or you could see her.

JefferMC
Topics: 141
Solutions: 226
My Device: U-verse/VZW Samsung Galaxy S4

We have a cat named Belle as well.  Has never been a squirrel hunter, though she does occasionally show an interest in them when they're on the deck.