Computer-Joe
Topics: 247
Solutions: 71
My Device: works just fine, thank you.
Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #231

Hey Phil, Carbide is used to produce acetylene gas. As the addition of water to carbide creates an exothermic reaction and produces heat and you can actually get burned without even lighting it. We used to use calcium carbide for gophers and moles by putting around a quarter cup down the hole, washing deep in with a hose,wait ten minutes and light.

Hey Dh, although an acetylene lamp is fairly bright, I think what you might be talking about is a carbon light or carbon arc light which is truly brighter than the sun if looking directly at them. I had to work with them when I was a teen working in the projection room at our local movie house. We'd have to remove the rods (about the diameter of a pencil) every other reel and stick them in an aparatus similar to an electric pencil sharpener to re-point them for the brightest burn. The carbon arc is also used in metal production to smelt the metal only their arc rods are 30 feet long and 2 or 3 feet across.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.