ACE - Master
hpmsrm
My Device: U-verse - Motorola "Atrix" HD
Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #231

Computer-Joe wrote:

Hey Phil, Carbide is used to produce acetylene gas. As the addition of water to carbide creates an exothermic reaction and produces heat and you can actually get burned without even lighting it. We used to use calcium carbide for gophers and moles by putting around a quarter cup down the hole, washing deep in with a hose,wait ten minutes and light.

Hey Dh, although an acetylene lamp is fairly bright, I think what you might be talking about is a carbon light or carbon arc light which is truly brighter than the sun if looking directly at them. I had to work with them when I was a teen working in the projection room at our local movie house. We'd have to remove the rods (about the diameter of a pencil) every other reel and stick them in an aparatus similar to an electric pencil sharpener to re-point them for the brightest burn. The carbon arc is also used in metal production to smelt the metal only their arc rods are 30 feet long and 2 or 3 feet across.

I got this from Wikipedia.  This is the form of Carbide that I'm familiar with that reacts with water to produce methane:

Methanides

Carbides of this class decompose in water producing methane. Two such examples are aluminium carbide Al4C3 and beryllium carbide Be2C.

The reaction of transition metal carbides with water is very slow and is usually neglected. For example, depending on surface porosity, 5–30 atomic layers of titanium carbide are hydrolyzed within 5 minutes at ambient conditions, following by saturation of the reaction.[3]

Methanides in general chemical context refers to any compound that hydrolyzes to methane, which might include also salts with hydrogenated anions such as CH3−, CH2−
, and CH
. However, according to IUPAC systematic naming conventions, only the last is properly called "methanide". In theory one can describe compounds that contain the methyl group, with relatively large bond polarity between the carbon and non-hydrogen atom, as salts of this anion; however in truth most such compounds, if not all, are in fact covalent.

On one notable occasion....just as the space shuttle was about to lift off....one U.S. astronaut turned to the one in the seat next to him and commented, "And just remember...you're sitting on top of $100 million worth of parts manufactured by the lowest bidder." A real confidence builder, eh?
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.