Uniblurb3
Topics: 469
Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #232

spd2demun wrote:

I gave up Miracle Grow several years ago; I swear it causes root rot!

Exact same thing here too. I plant a dozen Tubular Begonias ("Big Leaf Begonias") large hanging baskets for the back porch every year. The absolute worst product I've ever used was "Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix". It was impossible to even cut down on the watering and this soil kept the roots wet, even with good drainage, causing the whole plant to rot off and die. Their claim it protects from overwatering is bull! To top it off this soil is about twice as expensive as most potting soils, and will never use it again. Even the name is misleading and it should be called, "water retention potting soil" instead of "moisture control".

Another "Scotts Miracle-Gro Company" product I've had lots of trouble with is their "coated grass seed". Could not get this seed to sprout/germinate even after keeping it damp for more than a month. Their company headquarters is only 40 miles from me, in Marysville Ohio, and I've taken a lot of turf courses there. Called to complain about this expensive seed not germinating and all they could do was offer me my money back if I would produce the receipt. Lots of radio commercials airing here blasting Scott's grass seeds for the coating just adding twice the weight to a bag and you receive half the product. I believe it and will buy a different brand of seed next time around.

Not looking forward to another year of trying to grow tomatoes. Can't plant them in the ground because all the Black Walnut Tree roots in the ground will kill them. Invested some big bucks in large pots/containers last year in addition to large cubes of good potting soil mix. Between the hornworms, deer, groundhogs, squirrels, blight, fungus, etc., didn't even get a crop the last half of the year when that should be the best. :smileysad:

Thought about getting one of these solar powered electric fence chargers to keep the deer, groundhogs, squirrels away from the plants. But would have to train Charlie to stay away from it and a real pain to work around the plants, even if turned off, with wires running everywhere.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.