Re: why did I get Motorola 1225 DVR STB (set top box) instead of newer models
12-02-2011 04:20:34 AM
1. HDMI connection to TV - if I configure STB digital audio output to "Stereo" then audio is fine. But when I set it to "Surround", then if I am watching HD channels I get no audio, instead I get like machine-gun noise.
Yes, TV does not decode surround. Requires manual setting to match target device capability. Needs an automatic setting.
2. DVR recording feature sucks. I want to record certain time period, and either wkly (but by day of the week), or record daily. Does not allow me to schedule in such way. Sure, I can program manual recording, and set the time, say from 4 am to 6 am, but then I have to pick a day (out of 30 or 31 days from today). I cannot tell it to record the same 4 am to 6 am every wk, on the same day I've scheduled my original recording. Or same 4 am to 6 am, everyday of the week, indefinitely.
Yes, those choices are needed.
3. viewing ATT menu was kind of slow
Yes, came with latest update. Looking for fix. Maybe being rolled out now.
4. only had STB for 2 days, and only had TV on for about 3 hours total (mostly just trying to learn about STB remote and features), and already saw freezing and loosing TV signal several times.
Something wrong in your wiring. Should not do that.
5. I feed TV signal from receiver (ATT or Comcast, my previous provider) to a VCR, to record programs. Turns out ATT box goes into standby mode after 6 hours or so, with "Press OK to watch u-verse TV". So my Panasonic DVD/HD player/recorder recorded the TV program but only to end up with all blue screen and shifting "press ok to watch TV"
Does newer or higher model ATT DVR / STB have ability to NOT go into standy mode?
Does newer or higher model box offer better recording programming feature (choices of recording time patterns)?
No, not a good design for what you want to do. Set up to record on DVR (can record up to 4 shows at once) then play into your secondatry device.
Or use IR blaster to control STB.
STB should have a scheduling feature to turn on to channel at time of recording. Had a cable box once that did that.